View Full Version : Not enough memory to load WoW?

Specker
02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
My knowledge of anything to do with the innards of a computer is severly lacking, so i'm looking for some help. When i load WoW i get the following message:

http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errormessageho6.png

So what does it mean? Has my RAM died or something, i tried closing other programs but still it won't load. Also recently WoW has been taking an age to get past loading screens, and sometimes i'll be sitting in Shatt for a few minutes waiting for other people to actually load :(

Vegelus
02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks more like a hard disk for me (not enough space on it, probably some user/system partition). Do you have unlimited swap file on the same partition?

Specker
02-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for replying, but i have no idea what a unlimited swap file is :( Nor what a partition is (I told you was was bad with PCs)

Flawless
02-11-2008, 11:37 PM
few guesses, have you enough space on the hard drive? that or could be the file itself, I can't remember RAM ever being a problem in WoW (speaking for experience of playing it with 512Mb)

Specker
02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I've still got 150 odd gb left on the hard drive, so its no were near full. Any advice on what you think i could do to test to see what the problem is?

Taurusos
02-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Remove WTF folder.
Reinstall pc.

:)

Llort
02-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Open up your Task Manager and see how much memory wow is consuming and how much % there is left.

On a sidenote about your long loading screens:
I once had that too (wow-classic time). After a while my memory was like, broken... replaced, fixed O.- but I ain't saying that this is the problem in your case :-)

Flawless
02-11-2008, 11:58 PM
could be an "old" pc too :p

Backup the file and delete it see what happens.

Specker
03-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Aye, it may be my PC being old (4 years is old in PC language right? :)) Spose i could try scrap together some moneys a get a new one. I'll try loading WoW from another drive then and see if that gives me a temporary fix. Cheers for the replys :P Even Tau ;)

Backupo
03-11-2008, 12:18 AM
4 years is prehistoric unfortunately!

Backupo
03-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Oh and not to divert from this site, but I always find www.techsupportforum.com very useful when I'm stuck on a problem.

Vegelus
03-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I've still got 150 odd gb left on the hard drive, so its no were near full. Any advice on what you think i could do to test to see what the problem is?

How much space is left on the disk with the system?
You can check your swap file quite easily. If you're using XP then it's file pagefile.sys on c:\ drive by default.
My Computer (right mouse button) -> Properties -> Advanced -> Settings (in efficiency section) -> Advanced -> Change (should be something like that in english version).
You can check your setting there (and change them too if needed)

few guesses, have you enough space on the hard drive? that or could be the file itself, I can't remember RAM ever being a problem in WoW (speaking for experience of playing it with 512Mb)

Tried with 256MB. Was able to move in Shattrah (well tried only in the morning) and do few dailes but that was before 2.4 .
Ragis played on similar PC in vanilla wow too (and he died from drowning in Mara - because instance was loading too slow after using scepter's teleport iirc).

And 4 years old PC isn't bad for WoW. Only Shattrah and AoEs in raids will be problem

Marcuk
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Might be a bit obvious but, have you tried to run the blizzard repair tool?

Also : http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html;jsessionid=0DE98EF9CA52BD038C254178872 8ACF5?topicId=1602362559&sid=1

Gwynin
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
And 4 years old PC isn't bad for WoW. Only Shattrah and AoEs in raids will be problem

With the new shadow gfx system added in 3.0 I'd say it will be a problem tbh :)

Vegelus
03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
With the new shadow gfx system added in 3.0 I'd say it will be a problem tbh :)

I've played WoW on GF2 MX, played on some old Centrino 1 notebook with Intel's integrated gfx and 512MB RAM on board and I've even raided on those (40man BWL with suppression rooms, Mount Hyjal AoEd trashes - while kite'ing one mob to npcs) and was able to play. Was also able to tank hero SL once (bit more than half year ago iirc) on machine with 512MB RAM and GF2 - some old replacement PC in work.
Yea, sometimes it was like 1-2fpses so nothing good. But for casual play it will work. WoW is quite flexible (still and will probably be) and is runnable on very old PCs. New shadows might be disabled on weaker systems (I don't remember that - but isn't there an option to check if you want to use this better shadows?).

Cheiftan
03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
yeah you can switch the shadows off, no problemo.

Sigil
03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Just delete cache and you should be fine

Specker
03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Ah yeh, i suppose i should really of checked the WoW forum first, it sorted the memory problem :D Now i just need to worry about the shit loading times, i've turned the shadow system off (when it was on i had stupidly low FPS). I think i'll still go for a new PC anyway :P Thanks for all the help

Borwin
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
My little brothers mock me constantly because I only upgrade my PC every 1 years or so...

Specker
03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Heh, i wish. It's annoying how fast the tech moves on, means i constantly feel like a noob with my shite PC :p

Marcuk
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Tried defraging your hardrive?

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

Free and a great tool.

Flawless
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Or use the diskeeper trial, best defragger I've ever used.

imigrid
04-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Working as intended.

Aggression
08-11-2008, 09:25 PM
My knowledge of anything to do with the innards of a computer is severly lacking, so i'm looking for some help. When i load WoW i get the following message:

http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errormessageho6.png

So what does it mean? Has my RAM died or something, i tried closing other programs but still it won't load. Also recently WoW has been taking an age to get past loading screens, and sometimes i'll be sitting in Shatt for a few minutes waiting for other people to actually load :(

Just to much pr0n. :) And if it's already said then ignore this message. :)
I have 8GB ram and 2TB harddrive space, so I guess I will never have to little memory/storage for WoW.