View Full Version : WoW at Uni

Marcuk
29-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Basically a friend of mine is stopping in Uni accomedation and cant get on WoW atall. Its obvious why they have blocked the ports and such but I was wonder, Is there a workaround?

Heard people saying Proxy's work and such but he / I could do with some information on specific ones like the program name and how to actually configure it.

Any helps aperciated.

Flawless
29-10-2008, 01:29 PM
First off, has he considered asking for the ports to be opened?

Marcuk
29-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Would of thought so, If they blocked them in the first place its hardly unlikely they are going to just "Unblock" them.

Arthran
29-10-2008, 03:32 PM
you sure? ALOT of firewalls/tech departments just blanket lockdown without even thinking, so their hardware firewall could have automatically locked those ports, the tech guys might not actually give a crap

Marcuk
29-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Alright Cheers Arth, I'll speak to him later, see if he has actually asked ;)

Turiel
29-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted how to do this before. Try searching for it, I dunno where it is.

Google "ssh tunnel over http". You make a ssh tunnel through the uni proxy and connect to the server ip+port. And you need to change the config.wtf file to point to localhost and the correct port for both the patch and realmlist servers.

Its very complicated to explain so you'll be better off searching for a guide.

However be warned that you'll have very high latencies - 1k at best, I had 2.6k when I tried.

Marcuk
29-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Cheers Turiel, I'll have a look for your guide.

Marcuk
29-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Bah, had a look using the search function for about 10 minutes, you just have too many posts for me to find it without specific titling / keywords :(

Thanks anyways ;)

Decebalus
30-10-2008, 09:57 AM
first of all it's a good practice to block all ports except the ones needed, the admins who are doing otherwise should be fired.

depending on the firewall the tunneling solution may work or not, but even if it works the admins may figure out what you're doing and depending on the policies you have there, you may get in trouble.

the best solution is to talk nicely with an admin that can do the job, eventually explaining / proving that WoW consumes very little bandwidth (unless there are 1000 users :D).

MaDsPLoiTz
30-10-2008, 07:46 PM
He didn't mean he had written a guide, he meant that someone somewhere will have, so you should search for one on Google.

Marcuk
31-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Ah ok cheers.

I still havent spoke to him about talking to the admins :o