View Full Version : Leveling in Woltk.

Iyachtu
17-10-2008, 07:29 AM
New expansion out soon, what are your thoughts on a decent levelling build ?
Personally i am not going to redo the mistake of trying to level as dw-fury as i did in tbc, the lack of decent gear just made it very painfull (mind you, woltk might have some great stuff for dw)

With the new patch ive been trying out a wierd-ish arms build with imp ms and imp slam etc, and im liking it, so ill probably use something simmilar in woltk.

Faylin
17-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Prot.

Faylin
17-10-2008, 08:35 AM
To be more specific: I'll be working towards something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LAM00bZhxZMIdrxczidIzsGo

Can't have both impale and shochwave at 70, so I guess I'll start with shockwave.
The amount of stuns you have as prot is amazing now, meaning you hardly have any incoming damage.

Vegelus
17-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Aye, prot is the way to go. Tho I couldn't solo fel reaver yesterday, yet :<.

Chonar
17-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Keep trying.

Malakali
17-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Aye, prot is the way to go. Tho I couldn't solo fel reaver yesterday, yet :<.

Then you suck. Te he

Vegelus
17-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Keep trying.

:<

Turiel
17-10-2008, 11:42 AM
As Beatus says, probably prot now unless they nerf it. High burst and no downtime. Oh yeah.

Flawless
17-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Not sure what I'd do, depends if I'm going to level with anyone :3

Drullen
19-10-2008, 12:42 AM
i am so going prot, the way of farming 20+ mobs at a time is just so fun :) and would be a good xp income.

Asmodeus
19-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Prot.

What he said. For the longest time (like probably 90% of other Warriors out there) I really didn't enjoy Prot. With my Warrior being my alt, tanking instances for Dpsers in tier 6 while in KZ and a few badge pieces myself it was just more of a chore than anything.

Now, I cannot get enough of it. The new abilities just make it so damn fun. The graphic of the shockwave ability was enough to make me take it, heh. If they leave Protection how it is, I'd be tempted to re-roll AGAIN, back to my Warrior instead of the Mage.

Iyachtu
20-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Depends on what you like i suppose,
PvP wise, stick with the mage, you can't go wrong, especially versus warriors.
/faceroll oh look, i win with 100% hp!

Chou
20-10-2008, 07:28 AM
i will go as dual wield arms //

Farmed 220 obsidian pearls with it in no time, and when "EXECUTE LOL" procs, intercept execute = one shot.

Try it guys, definately, 53/8 dual wield is a fucking farm spec.

( and i had 2200 overall dps in BT with it yesterday )

Gwynin
20-10-2008, 08:20 AM

You must play on a different server than us, cos yesterday there was no Shadowsong :P

Vegelus
20-10-2008, 08:26 AM
You must play on a different server than us, cos yesterday there was no Shadowsong :P

There was! Till around 12:30 :P

Chou
20-10-2008, 08:29 AM
im now Cruche ( means water pot ) on Drek'thar EU >.>

Vegelus
20-10-2008, 09:29 AM
im now Cruche ( means water pot ) on Drek'thar EU >.>
>.>
-.-

Evilstein
20-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Farmed 220 obsidian pearls with it in no time, and when "EXECUTE LOL" procs, intercept execute = one shot.

What weapons are you using? :)

And could you please link your specc. Armory is fooked as usual...

Chou
21-10-2008, 07:32 AM
spec is http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LN0Idf0zxbrRcfRthx

gear is :

Helm : S4
neck : shattered sun rep
shoulders : T5
cloak : Dory's
chest : S4
bracers : S4
gloves : Pillager ? random drop from BT
belt : red belt of battle
pants : S4
boots : badge leather ones, ninja's tabi ?
trinks : brooch + beer event brooch
Weaps : Siphon from supremus and badge fist offhand

you may need Salvation often, its aggro tastic, for real

edit : ya need to use bladestorm whn your not under heroism/BL or haste effect, since haste does not change it, and basically you will be 100 raged and proccing an execute right after it, for 7-8k if you have the glyph/ same rotation as 17/44 old spec, just that you land crazy executes :)

Utena
26-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Aye I was considering give DW arms a try, just to see what it could do really.

I'll probably level Prot though, possibly spending the entire time in dungeons.

Aggression
30-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Think I'll go Titan's Grip fury now with the new change with "only" 5% penalty hit. Was going arms if the 15% were staying.
~3 minutes for recklessness and about the same for Death Wish is nice to have when gathering 3-4 mobs the same time. And instant Slam is nice aswell when Bloodthirst crits.

Turiel
30-10-2008, 08:06 AM
is nice to have when gathering 3-4 mobs the same time.

Or go prot and take 10.

Faylin
30-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Just let all the cool kids go Arms and Fury. I'm 100% convinced prot is the superior levelling spec. Even if you don't do it for tanking instances.

Insane burst due to a lot more instants than arms/fury. A number of stuns: shockwave, concussion blow, revenge AND wearing a shield means hardly any damage incoming.
With the changes to shield block value, it means that in DPS gear you'll have a crazy amount blocked (stack strength!) too.

Specced 2w arms yesterday for Kara and after that 2h arms for MgT.. didn't like it, although Bladestorm is addictive.

Kinshara
30-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Currently using a weird fury/prot hybrid to finish levelling my warrior from 64->70; BT and SS don't share a cooldown, so there's some nice single target burst. I'll probably go for a deep prot build for 70->80, though.

Aggression
30-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Or go prot and take 10.

I don't like the prot skills (as dps), hehe. Did not try prot at 75+ on beta. It probably have some nice DPS because of the changes.

Might aswell upgrade both my accounts and having my priest on follow. :D

Turiel
30-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't like the prot skills (as dps), hehe. Did not try prot at 75+ on beta. It probably have some nice DPS because of the changes.

Might aswell upgrade both my accounts and having my priest on follow. :D

I top dps charts as prot (in pug groups, but still).

Faylin
30-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't see what there's not to like about the DPS abilities of prot, they're plentyfull, they hurt, and they lower incoming damage. While sustained dps will definately be lower than Arms/Fury, the burst is better (simply cause there's more instants to burn, and they're also cheap, rage-wise).
And for levelling: burst > sustained.

Iyachtu
30-10-2008, 09:17 PM
I wont be levelling solo, so arms is the way forward for me.
I am predicting all out war across all zones on Sylvanas come woltk <.<

Chonar
31-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I got a feeling there wont be a shortage of tanks during the trip to 80. I'll stay fury, go titans grip, and pop a few +hit gems into my gear. There's yer burst right there.

Aggression
10-11-2008, 10:49 AM
So are you all still gonna go arms/tank when leveling even with Titan's Grip being on 5% hit penalty?
I have still not tried anything else then 3-4 kinds of fury speccs.

Convince me why not going fury until lvl 80? :) (will try out diffrent arms/tank speccs tonight, note that I will not set a foot in any dungeon until I'm 80).

The specc I'm thinking about when leveling starts at lvl 70 like this http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LG0sZGx00EVu0xRVzAo
And up to 80 the build will look like this http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LG0f0fhZGxz0EVu0xRVzAo

Will aim to always have 2 targets all time. Maybe better to specc for 15% more crit on Cleave? And add a Cleave bonus dmg like this? http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LG0f0bZGxc0yVu0xRVzVobI

Guess I have to go check the target dummies with recount or something.
Alot of links so I'm sorry for that. :S

Flawless
11-11-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LG0fzfhZhxboEbubxRVzAo at 80, not sure if I want 1 point in enrage for the new talent. As I think Bloodrage got changed to an enrage effect?

Aggression
18-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Fury was quite ok to level with. Specially when Enraged Regeneration came at 75.
But it really sux missing twice in row, takes another 5-10 sec to get rage enough to finish the mob off.
Specced tank yesterday to do instances, and to try it out. And the damage was huge. :D And I bet it will be even better with DPS gear. If I would been 70 today then I for sure would go tank in DPS gear from 70 to 80.

Chou
19-11-2008, 07:29 AM
well, i levelled as prot, and you can really tank every instance with dps gear on, chain pulling all the way and making incredible xp/hour. just make sure you have some def items for the melee crazy bosses tho

Turiel
19-11-2008, 10:24 AM
This confuses me - are you not doing more damage with max block value gear as prot than with dps gear?

Faylin
19-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Block gear is great, but DPS gear gives str = block value (1 per 2 str) and a LOT of my damage at least comes from AoE spells as Shockwave and Thunderclap (as every pull is still an AoE pull at the moment). And they both scale with AP.
Shield Slam is also a major contributor, but as said, Shield Slam works fine in DPS gear.

Vegelus
19-11-2008, 11:24 AM
So shortly speaking yea - you do that in max block value gear which appears to be "old" dps gear, because of str.

halbarad
21-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Well i was less than 4 hours away from the first level 80 warrior and i actually took a day break from wow during my leveling time.
So i would have very comfortably become the first 80 warrior if i'da kept at it with a titans grip spec. Using my gear from BT/MH/etc.