Log in

View Full Version : So how will you spec now?


azurei
15-10-2008, 12:21 PM
By the looks of things, speccing down the assasination tree looks like it could provide the most dps given you have a nice pair of daggers.

As for those of us that are still coming along with our badge fists, do people think combat is still the way to go? I've put together the following spec. Please feel through to tear it up and provide improvements :D

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0xbZMgVbx0xoru0gRtxro0h

Senex
15-10-2008, 12:35 PM
From what I've heard, if you decide to stay Combat, then a Shiv build is the way to go.

Zonie
16-10-2008, 01:52 AM
For raiding i'll be going one of either

Swords
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0xZMgVb0bxqru0xRtx (becoming http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0xbZMgVb0bxqru0xRtx0f0h at 80)

or

Mutilate
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ef0egoV0oIzAo0xZhb (becoming http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ef0egoV0oIzAo0xV0xZhb at 80)

Mutilate builds could well overtake combat given all the new toys. Master poisoner is a very nice buff to the raid - but that's only needed if you don't have an Elem shammy with Totem of Wrath or a Ret Pally with Heart of the Crusader. Both these talents give the same 3% raid crit buff, and do not stack with Master Poisoner.

Murder is also a possibiltiy in the Assasination build, but apparantly there's been quite some debate as to whether it actually works vs WotLK bosses.

*edited small changes

Tífa
16-10-2008, 08:20 AM
why miss out blade twisting in your combat spec?

vanroguesing
16-10-2008, 04:17 PM
There nerfing Combat shiv

vanroguesing
16-10-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ef0exoVboIzAo0xV0hZxb
Specc at 80 i think

Zonie
17-10-2008, 07:39 AM
why miss out blade twisting in your combat spec?
Aye Will you got a point there. Didn't even read that...

Ailith
17-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Trying out mutilate on rogue atm (pvp), which I'm hella rusty with >.> coupled with s1 mainhand, no mongoose and the changes to all classes in the patch, I'm in a bit of a nerfed state atm. But mutilate seems fun so far (51/5/5 atm).

Adharc
18-10-2008, 05:43 PM
8/0/54, Backstab/Ambush.

I've never had so much fun since I started playing a rogue. The amount of cooldowns and room for option/skill is so pretty damn high.

Kryptonix
19-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Currently 5/51/5 swords for raiding at 70, and am yet to try out 0/10/51 for PvP at 70 which looks quite nice.

PvP: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fZ0xVZe0fdI0ddVzA0Rt

Tífa
19-10-2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ebZMgVb0bxqru0xRt is my spec atm, really not sure about 80 yet will have to think about it

maybe something like that http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0xbZMgVb0bxqru0xRteM00h

Ñightrain
22-10-2008, 02:55 PM
8/0/54

Nerf.

Sparna
22-10-2008, 03:04 PM
From a shaman point of view i beleive they are turning totem of wrath into a buff instead of a debuff, so maybe that poison move... master poisoner?? could be plausable?

(noob when it comes to rogues)

Muffy
22-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Trying out mutilate on rogue atm (pvp), which I'm hella rusty with >.> coupled with s1 mainhand, no mongoose and the changes to all classes in the patch, I'm in a bit of a nerfed state atm. But mutilate seems fun so far (51/5/5 atm).

Best pvp spec - http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ecoeMsiroczZ0xZebbb

Any other spec in pvp is shat that is mutilate :>

Trying it with gash daggers and it is totally fine, ruining warriors and all sorts, farming myself some new daggers too.

I did 5 / 5 / 51 and it was rubbish, or i felt it was.

I do have a question tho, am i best stacking agility if im going Mutilate or AP? :s

Adharc
22-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Nerf.

>.>

<.<

8/0/53

Best pvp spec - http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ecoeMsiroczZ0xZebbb

Any other spec in pvp is shat that is mutilate :>

Trying it with gash daggers and it is totally fine, ruining warriors and all sorts, farming myself some new daggers too.

I did 5 / 5 / 51 and it was rubbish, or i felt it was.

I do have a question tho, am i best stacking agility if im going Mutilate or AP? :s

Ditch those 5 points in DW Spec and get 30% increased crit on Backstab and 5 minute Preparation. 50% crit chance on resil-capped targets (instead of 20%) is pretty fun :P

Although I mostly support that spec because I don't have second dagger for Mutilate .. it'll be hard to grow out of Prep and ShS, though :(

EDIT - although this mostly a BG spec, in arenas it would probably only work as some gib-oriented double/triple/quad-DPS (in respective brackets) with some reset options , and Muti would still come out on top most of the time.

And I'd go for AGI myself, since you get crit and dodge as well, although with less offensive power.

Lieska
24-10-2008, 11:57 AM
5/51/5 for raiding now but I intend to try 51/5/5 too once I can be arsed to enchant some daggers.

I'm not impressed by Killing Spree, repositioning is an annoyance and I'm not getting the "wow" feeling I was expecting. :(

Muffy
24-10-2008, 12:38 PM
>.>

<.<

8/0/53



Ditch those 5 points in DW Spec and get 30% increased crit on Backstab and 5 minute Preparation. 50% crit chance on resil-capped targets (instead of 20%) is pretty fun :P

Although I mostly support that spec because I don't have second dagger for Mutilate .. it'll be hard to grow out of Prep and ShS, though :(

EDIT - although this mostly a BG spec, in arenas it would probably only work as some gib-oriented double/triple/quad-DPS (in respective brackets) with some reset options , and Muti would still come out on top most of the time.

And I'd go for AGI myself, since you get crit and dodge as well, although with less offensive power.

Why on earth would you want more crit on Backstab when it costs the sam as mutilate and mutilate is better...?

Adharc
24-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Why on earth would you want more crit on Backstab when it costs the sam as mutilate and mutilate is better...?

For a Subtlety spec, dummy. Backstab/Ambush cost reduced to 45 energy, every special ability crit = 2 combo points, Ambush = 3, 5 minute prep, stealth detection, shadowstep, shadowdance, 2 minute vanish/blind 1 minute cloak, cheat death, 20 sec premed.

FUN I SAY.

Muffy
27-10-2008, 01:39 PM
For a Subtlety spec, dummy. Backstab/Ambush cost reduced to 45 energy, every special ability crit = 2 combo points, Ambush = 3, 5 minute prep, stealth detection, shadowstep, shadowdance, 2 minute vanish/blind 1 minute cloak, cheat death, 20 sec premed.

FUN I SAY.

and shite dmg. :D

Zonie
29-10-2008, 06:07 PM
5/51/5 for raiding now but I intend to try 51/5/5 too once I can be arsed to enchant some daggers.

I'm not impressed by Killing Spree, repositioning is an annoyance and I'm not getting the "wow" feeling I was expecting. :(
Agreed, it's damn worthless on some fights too where the boss has an aoe of any description (Illidan's flame crash area for example). It hardly feels like a raid talent tbh.

vanroguesing
30-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah yeah not the best but it's fun

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ecoersiMoIuboZeb

Slicer
30-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah yeah not the best but it's fun

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ecoersiMoIuboZeb

Lethality is awful compared to murder, would be far better off taking the two points in murder and having three in lethality. If you're unwilling to give up MoD for dual wield spec, give up hunger for blood. The only thing I've found it to be is a pain trying to keep up, it screws over a lot of things. That's in a PvP setting of course. Turn the tables is also awful for PvP. Not having dirty tricks would also be a huge set back for PvP.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=fhxcoeMsiroczZ0xZebbb

My current and preferred mutilate PvP spec until WotLK.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=f0xZMgVb0bxqru0xRtx

The current best PvE combat build, although mutilate currently beats it in damage anyway. As usual some of the combat talents are fillers, basically anything that doesn't directly influence damage.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0ef0exoVboIzAo0xZhb

The current best PvE mutilate spec, operate on the basis of getting SnD up as fast as possible, then a five point envenom, followed by five point rupture, then alternate those two.

I'll get around to level 80 specs at some point, the amount of specs I've seen on random rogues that make absolutely no sense astounds me. Nice knowing that people who have played this game for over three years still haven't worked out what's good and what isn't, and so pick random talents until the definitive 'best' spec is widely publicised and then jump on the band wagon.

vanroguesing
30-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I know it's the not best specc but i really like Hftb it aint the best to get up either so i think ill gief that specc you linked a try and see

vanroguesing
30-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Tryed that specc was better than what i thought it was going to be, but its really missing something though

Slicer
30-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Higher damage, a minute less on vanish and blind, thirty seconds less on cloak of shadows, longer ranged sap, with lower energy costs on both blind and sap. All at the expense of a 3% stacking damage buff that costs 30 energy each time to use, is prone to running out, messes with energy use and can remove a bleed effect?

The only way I would ever take hunger for blood over my spec is if it had swirly ball.

vanroguesing
30-10-2008, 11:34 PM
My Hunger for blood has swirly balls!

Dèlirium
02-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Agreed, it's damn worthless on some fights too where the boss has an aoe of any description (Illidan's flame crash area for example). It hardly feels like a raid talent tbh.

Agreed, it's damn worthless on some fights too where the boss has an aoe of any description (Illidan's flame crash area for example). It hardly feels like a raid talent tbh.

Killing Spree is good for energy pooling and it does more damage than +7% Evis damage or 15% Rupture damage I think

Slicer
02-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Where does killing spree figure in this discussion?

Über
03-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Where does killing spree figure in this discussion?

Probably to give somekind of an answer to the OP? (wat, rocket surgery)

So how will you spec now?

Slicer
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Yet is completely out of context with the last page of posts and he hasn't posted in this thread before. I should make random unconnected comments in other threads, then try to get you to justify them.

Muffy
03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
i've spend like 500g respeccing my rogue and trying all types of pvp spec's and i found that indeed 41 / 5 / 14 is the best... I don't know what you think is missing, I duelled you a few times and could see you miles away. ( @ Van )

Über
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Yet is completely out of context with the last page of posts and he hasn't posted in this thread before. I should make random unconnected comments in other threads, then try to get you to justify them.

Well, usually it's not mandatory to take part in small random discussions (do note, I'm not saying here that your discussion was off-topic) going on in threads but one can instead try to contribute to the original discussion.

But I guess this thread is an exception then! :P

Dèlirium
04-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Forgot to quote 2 posts on page 2 sorry :P

Adharc
06-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Seems like a 10/8/43 build with SnD/Rupture/Eviscerate/Eviscerate rotation can get pretty high DPS.

e.g. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fhxbZ0gzZxMfdhhzdqzAc

Slicer
07-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Seems like a 10/8/43 build with SnD/Rupture/Eviscerate/Eviscerate rotation can get pretty high DPS.

e.g. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fhxbZ0gzZxMfdhhzdqzAc

That spec makes no sense at all... for anything.

No MoD or ShS is automatic fail at anything PvP. Having hemo would suggest decent weapons in the first place, so why not just spec something sensible like combat? I would bet heavily on that spec doing less than half the DPS of a proper combat spec. The combat spec probably has more PvP viability on top of that. It would be akin to me speccing all 61 points in subtlety before patch 3.0 and beating people in duels for laughs.

Dèlirium
07-11-2008, 02:15 AM
That spec makes no sense at all... for anything.

No MoD or ShS is automatic fail at anything PvP. Having hemo would suggest decent weapons in the first place, so why not just spec something sensible like combat? I would bet heavily on that spec doing less than half the DPS of a proper combat spec. The combat spec probably has more PvP viability on top of that. It would be akin to me speccing all 61 points in subtlety before patch 3.0 and beating people in duels for laughs.

It looks more of a PvE build to me. :P

HaT spec for PvE is comparable if not better than combat spec. You're basically spamming Evis for 10 energy while keeping SnD and Rupture up for 0. It won't be as good at level 80 though.

Slicer
07-11-2008, 02:40 AM
Should have made that clearer. It's a worse spec than combat for anything PvE oriented yet picks up talents like cheat death, as though it were a mixed spec for doing both. The pros to it are 10% AP, 15% agility, masses of combo points, serrated blades and 20% more damage on specials below 35%. Against combat where you gain 10 expertise and 4% hit, which essentially amounts to 6.5% hit. Vitality and combat potency together are absolutely huge, as is prey on the weak. Combat just affords so much more in terms of DPS, subtlety will never compete for proper damage, only as a utility and support spec.

Adharc
07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I wasn't sure on where the points were allocated exactly, as I only had the point version of it. Got Cheat Death because there were no other things to invest in, PvE-wise. I've not tested it yet myself, but you can check the WWS report - the sub build guy beat the muti and combat rogues.

EDIT - d'oh! I thought I included it in my first post. Sorry :(

Here it is - http://wowwebstats.com/4hkrrl2fznx5q?s=102125-121876&a=x337324b

Muffy
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
I much prefer Combat to Mut for pve , only thing i realised is that watch with killing spree, i killing spree'd on bloodboil and ended up jumping infront of him and being hit by his cleave and being splatted.

Skepta
10-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Farming honor for some S2 daggers for the launch, trying mutilate for a while, enjoy it in PvP but I ain't sure how it's gunna go for solo farming.

Build I intend to go with:
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=fhxf0ehoiboIzAo0xZhb

Although I have alot of knowledge when it comes to combat rogues in PvE, I have no idea how a mutilate rogue may cope on his own. Reckon anyone could give me a brief idea on how the two compare, pros and cons ect.

<3

Lieska
12-11-2008, 05:30 AM
I am planning to level as Mutilate for a change as I've been Combat Swords almost exclusively for the past year. Leveled 60-70 as Mutilate too, it was fine then but will be much easier now with the positional requirement gone.

I really wouldn't pick a build like yours for leveling, though. Top talents in Assassination are basically raid talents, keeping HfB and CttC up in a leveling environment would be a big hassle if not impossible, the significance of Focused Attacks diminishes when typical fights are short and you have time to regen between fights. You are also skipping Fleet Footed. Any movement speed increase is fantastic for leveling so that really should be in there. I am actually thinking of starting as 41/20/0 to get Blade Flurry at 71 and then continue down Subtlety.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fhxcoegoVroMzZ0xAkx

Something like this is going to be my initial build. As you can see it's far from a PvE raid build. Going to run with dual Instant Poison with Deadly Brew taking care of Mutilate poison requirement (and runners), Vigor to make most of the time spent running from mob to mob, Fleet Footed to make that time shorter, Eviscerate instead of Rupture/Envenom as finisher. On Combat side picking up Riposte, mainly as a filler but also to reduce incoming damage. My main worry is being too energy starved without Relentless Strikes at first, but we shall see.

Skepta
12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the evaluation - it's hard to find opinions on solo builds for rogues unless it's combat swords it'd seem. Too much thought into raid builds. Some of the talents in that build were just fillers more than anything else.
Your build looks tasty - I'll be sure to give it a shot.