View Full Version : PC hanging at boot

Bunneh
13-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Sadly there's very little information I can give you on the PC in question. It's an old one, around 2002, Hewlett Packard, Evergreen mainboard, Pentium 4 1.5ghz with 128Mb RDRAM, 32Mb Graphics card with no sound card. XP Pro is on it, I know not a wise choice for a PC with so little memory but it wasn't my PC when that was installed.

It's primary use was to do the boring stuff, and occasionally play music with 5.1 sound card on big speakers. The card was removed with no obvious problems to the PC except it had no sound, not a problem as it was being used as a word processor.

A few weeks back it started to just hang. The Hewlett Packard symbol comes up and it asks me to pick either Enter BIOS or Network Boot - if I pick either it does nothing, if I pick none, it waits and then the screen goes blank and it does nothing. No error messages at all.

I have noticed that the PSU fan is hardly rotating, the CD Rom drives don't work very often and the hard drive light is on, but nobody's home. I'm thinking along the lines of fucked motherboard/PSU/hard drive yet I have done nothing to incur its wrath.

I know it's very little to go on, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful. It's likely to be a scrapper but I would like to save it as I do kinda like having a back up system.

Ta :)

tin
13-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I have noticed that the PSU fan is hardly rotating

This might be an issue.. Overheating could be causing your PC to hang on boot in itself.

A few weeks back it started to just hang. The Hewlett Packard symbol comes up and it asks me to pick either Enter BIOS or Network Boot - if I pick either it does nothing, if I pick none, it waits and then the screen goes blank and it does nothing. No error messages at all.

This, however, sounds like a missing boot device (i.e. your harddrive). Check both power and IDE cables and look in BIOS (assuming you find a way to enter BIOS) if it detects your harddrive. If not, there's your problem (or one of them, at least).

and I could be wrong too *shrug*

also,

128Mb RDRAM
XP Pro is on it

sounds like a nightmare to me.

Good luck ;)

Flawless
13-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I laughed when I read the specs :<

Gwynin
13-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Considering its an HP (not that I have anything to do with them *cough*) a model name or product number would proberly help a bit :)

Bunneh
14-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks Tin. I checked the hard drive and it is set up right, cables are correct. I can't actually get in to BIOS, the option is there but as soon as I select it the system hangs.

Yes Flaw, it's a crap PC :( I remember my Dad getting is in around 2001-2002 and thinking 'Wow, I could run TFC with full visuals with that baby!', he then dumped it onto me last year.

I must correct something Gwyn, it's a Packard Bell - always get those mixed up for some reason. Armed that information and the Ixtreme 9605 bit I found on a small stick on the inside, I found:

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=P490102501&g=1400

That's the system! A lot of the stuff listed there, the CD drives, the sound card etc are no longer inside, it's just the graphics card and some some other CD drives my Dad bought for it and had fitted. No information on the CPU though, and looking around doesn't give much hope. I think the hard drive's dead Jim.

Ajial
14-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I had a similar problem with a pc I bought last week, was getting to the "pick an option" screen but wouldnt do anything (wasnt an HP or anything though) turned out to be faulty RAM, this could be your case too although it's unlikely, it probably just got tired of living.

Gwynin
14-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I must correct something Gwyn, it's a Packard Bell - always get those mixed up for some reason

Np Bunneh, and btw "AMAGAWD that PB site is purplez" is kinda fitting to the url you gave :P

Edit, thinking about it (and the nightmare of my old pcs back in the day), I would proberly disconnect the 'sometimes' faulty cd/dvd drive, reset the bios via jumpers on the mb. Hell maybe even throw in a new hdd (proberly has to be older model or of smaller size).
Its some sort of hardware/bios issue if you really get stuck during the bios post part of bootup, if you dont even get to the point where it starts windows there isnt any point in worrying about drivers and whatnot :)

Edit2, this url gives you all the inside specs for the entire series, might be a bit confusing but its atleast more detailed that the infomation on the specific model page. :)
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_odyssey_ixtreme&g=1400

Edit3. also your serial number should look like this -> 010297020012 <- yes ppl actually post their serial numbers on the PB forums :)

Bunneh
14-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Awesome, thanks. I'll dig up where I need to change the jumper settings so it resets, not done that for a long long time, so should be amusing. No spare drives at the moment and a tad skint so that will have to wait but I shall have a go with reseting the BIOS.

Ta for the link too, gives me a good idea what I'm looking at. Serial's 010356720083. It has to be the heaviest case I've worked with! Weighs in at around 15kg and that's mostly the drive bay that slides out.

Gwynin
14-10-2008, 03:33 PM
btw have you tried this part of the PB site ?
http://troubleshooter.packardbell.com/

I cant test it here (using your serial number etc) cos during the register/login part there is a 'https' part which is blocked at work, but it seems that it could hold some tools for maybe testing the hdd or similar things

Gasp, I just noticed that Ive proberly used 1 hours of work time browsing the PB site for you :P

Faylin
14-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Why waste more than 1 second of your life on this instead of buying something similar for.. let's say 10 euros.. er silly pounds.

Bunneh
15-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I appreciate the effort Gwyn, thanks :) I shall try register when I get in from work and see if I can get it running.

Somewhat true B, but I doubt I'd get a PC for 10 anywhere, that said my brother picked a Celeron system up for 25 off eBay.

Bunneh
22-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Managed to get this PC working again. Mate of mine suggested I check the GPU and try another card. Putting another card in seemed to solve it, the PC booted without a hitch!