View Full Version : People with knowledge of UK consumer rights

Jarelan
21-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I bought a Laptop 8 months ago from PC World (yes i know!!!!). It has been fine for what I wanted until last week when it suddenly started dying for no reason, everything would freeze up.

Yesterday it came to a head when it froze every 15 minutes without fail. I noticed each time it froze the HDD made a funny noise. So I did scan disc. It couldn't finish it and got stuck on a sector and made the same noise as when it froze. So I tried again, and it stopped at the same point. So I went and did a system restore to a point I knew the PC was working, and that went through fine. So I tried a scan disc again. And again it stopped at the same point.

So I want to get this fixed. I have found my receipt from PC world and intend to go there tonight. What are my rights? I assume I automatically get a 1 year warranty with purchase. So are they liable to fix it or will they palm me off to Compaq?

dantheman
21-08-2008, 08:59 AM
You might find that you have a 1 year warranty with the first month or 2 handled through PC World and then the rest covered by the manufacturer. However, PC World should still be your first point of contact.

Smellyskele
21-08-2008, 10:02 AM
aye i brought a pc from pcworld a year ago. the warranty is 3 months with pcworld then the rest is via manufacturer.

Đightrain
21-08-2008, 10:45 AM
"Contract of sale
Goods may also come with a manufacturers' warranty and this is an added bonus. Typically these run for 12 months from purchase, but in some cases this can be longer.

Let's clear up one common misconception about manufacturers' guarantees, one that retailers are all too fond of quoting. Your contract of sale is with the company that accepts your money - more often than not, that means the shop you bought it from.

If a retailer tells you that it has no responsibility for returning or repairing goods, it has misinformed its staff. It may be 'company policy' but that phrase has no meaning or significance in law.

Having said that, it can sometimes be easier to deal directly with the manufacturer, but don't let retailers make you jump through their hoops.

While we're clearing up confusions, here's another area of misunderstanding: the SGA protects consumers for up to six years after purchase in England (five years in Scotland).

But that does not mean goods are expected to last this long - it is the period during which you could commence proceedings to take the matter to court. Be realistic about the life expectancy of a product or its components.

One final law that protects you is the Consumer Protection Act 1987 (CPA), which covers health and safety. If you are injured by a defective product, you may have the right to sue the manufacturer for damages, providing you haven't used the item inappropriately."

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/features/2014044/know-consumer-rights-part-basics

Ghee
21-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Depending on whether you can bear to be parted with your machine for however long Compaq will take to repair is (typically 2-4 weeks in my experience) and also risk it getting damaged in transit (something that has happened to me) then it might be easier and faster to just buy a new HDD yourself and replace.

Of course, this runs the risk of the defect not being your HDD but even if it's not you can then send the machine back to Compaq anyway and use the extra HDD either externally or internally (depending what type of machine you have).

Jarelan
21-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I've no problem losing it for a few weeks, I only use it at work during my lunch break anyway. Just want it to work again.

Ghee
21-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Send it off then - you won't be in danger of breaking any of the warranty terms which, if you try to fix it yourself, you may inadvertently do. It also means they will definitely replace the correct faulty part and, of course, it won't cost you a bean :D

Edit: start with PC World but if they prove to be unhelpful/obstructive then I'd suggest going straight to Compaq. If it's a laptop then you can hopefully get them to send you a nice padded box to send it to them in or even better they will get it picked up by courier (if you're lucky!)

Flawless
21-08-2008, 01:25 PM
You might find that you have a 1 year warranty with the first month or 2 handled through PC World and then the rest covered by the manufacturer. However, PC World should still be your first point of contact.
By law its the point of sale that's responsible, don't let them fob you off with that manufacturer bullshit you are well with in your rights to go back say you wanted it replaced.

/Edit, what Nightrain said.

Ghee
21-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I guess how long you want to argue with PC World will depend on your tolerance levels with condescending, acne-ridden teenagers.. Personally mine's very low so I would probably just have gone straight to the manufacturer in the first place...

Edit: I'm a condescending, acne-ridden and fat 30-something before anyone tries a wisecrack :D

Flawless
21-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Nah, just ask for the manager, if he still refuses you state what the law says and then if he still doesn't budge small claims court etc ;p

Bunneh
22-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Local press involvement is also fun too :D

Jarelan
22-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Well I went, seems I have to call the PC World IT Advice/Support, tell them what's wrong and they come to pick it up and fix it.

Fair enough. (Unless it's an Indian help desk)

Just restoring it now to factory settings and running a scan disk. Then I can say I've done everything I can do and it still doesn't work.

Flawless
22-08-2008, 01:13 PM
No, you don't. You take it back and demand it be replaced, stop letting them fob you off.

Ammanna
22-08-2008, 02:35 PM
No, you don't. You take it back and demand it be replaced, stop letting them fob you off.

I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, there is nothing in UK law that says the retailer has to replace it. They can repair it under warranty. I'd hardly consider that being fobbed off myself.

Jarelan, on most HP/Compaq units there is either a HDD test in the BIOS or inside the recovery program. (Tap F11 to boot into the recovery problem, choose 'advanced options' or similar then look for 'PC checkup' or similar. While I'm fairly sure you have a faulty HDD from your description, that will detect the make of HDD and use the appropiate HDD manufacturers HDD test to tell you if it's faulty for sure.

Oh, and btw, the call centre is in Nottingham.

Miniloth
23-08-2008, 02:18 AM
I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, there is nothing in UK law that says the retailer has to replace it. They can repair it under warranty. I'd hardly consider that being fobbed off myself.

Hmm potential grey area, afaik if a seller sells you a defective product you are within your rights to get all your money back or a replacement model, but like I say I am not sure how long that lasts, the best I have done was 6 months, but I got all my money back, busy shop disgruntled customer does not make good business.

Ps it was a nintendo gamecube they dropped in price and I fancied a new cheaper one so i took it back and said it was broken:smt048