View Full Version : Mage Changes in WoTLK ?

Muffy
24-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey guys, just making a thread for mage changes, I was looking at the talent tree's and saw that spirit is in the arcane tree, I haven't look at changes and stuff as i do not have access to any of the websites so i was wondering about them.

I know everything is based on spell power now for healing and DPS caster spec's but is spirit becoming a deciding factor? I also read that Tailors can get better patterns for leg enchants specifit to just tailors? like the improved gems JC'ers can get.

Was wondering if anyone could paste some info in this thread for me to have a look at.

Thanks in advance :)

Jethrotull
28-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I haven't played on PTR's myself but this is what Vontre has to say:

I'll repost my theorycraft analysis of the new stuffs here.

MAGES

Ho ho ho, it's Christmas time motherfuckers! Look just what blew in from the frozen north!

ARCANE

If you're looking to raid dps, don't even bother. This tree got a few minor buffs but it's YEARS behind fire and frost now. Interestingly enough it's looking like a completely baller pvp tree, what with an instant cast base nuke and damage procs. So yeah.

FIRE
Exponential scalars off the port bow, captain! Yaaar! Have you tried getting to 40% crit raid buffed? Because this is the point where Hot Streak quickly becomes an out of control talent and crit rating starts to outscale spell damage. Yes, crit outscaling spell damage. Combined with burnout and we're looking at high, streaky damage, heavily crit dependent, and some mana issues to boot. Interesting. Also major aoe buffs here, and if you don't want to living bomb people in battlegrounds at least once, you're not human.

FROST
Frost, your day has come. You can finally, finally, FINALLY apply freeze effects to non-freezable targets! HOLY FUCKING SHIT ON A CHRIST CRACKER. I mean that's what the words said! You can shatter raid bosses now. Not based on the usual procs, but with a new debuff with 20% proc rate on any frost spell. Winter's Grasp is THE clutch talent for ice mages, and it's a big one. I modeled a new scenario which involves busting an ice lance after the frostbolt after the proc, shattering both these is a serious dps boost. We also got a straight 5% buff to both those abilities further down, and a better, longer water elemental. Oh and did I mention Winter's Grasp has a raid debuff as well? 4% +hit to all attacks. It's big. I'm gonna call it WRG now, if that's cool.

Raid dps ahoy: fire does outscale ice at high levels of crit rating, and quickly becomes so absurd it has to be a mistake. 3000 dps in Manly's gear by stacking moonkin, totem of wrath and judgement of the crusader. I don't think it's intended to work quite like that. Ice is looking extremely solid though, with a new raid debuff, better synergy and much better damage, as well as some reactive playstyle mechanics, ice is looking like a ton of fun.

P.S. I hadn't considered Manly's proposal that arcane missiles may proc Netherwind on a per missile basis. I'll investigate this.

So all in all good times I guess :P

Leeh
29-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Well the higher tier talents are crap.. I think we're going to see all sort of hybrid specs like this: funz (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/wrath/mage/talents.html?tal=230025023000301403201200000005052 00102302230052120300000000000000000000000000000000 )

Phanthastic
29-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I doubt any1 will go arcane as it look now.

My guess is hybrid fire/frost with ffb as main nuke, unless they change something which they prolly will :)

Maybe something like this: hybrid (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/wrath/mage/talents.html?tal=000000000000000000000000000000551 02002303330053120000000053502031023001025100000000 )

Warlee
29-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Mages

* Arcane Focus (Arcane) is now 3 ranks and increases chance to hit and reduces mana cost of Arcane spells by 1/2/3%.
* Counterspell now costs 9% of base mana.
* Frost Armor, Ice Armor, Mage Armor and Molten Armor are no longer Magic effects and cannot be dispelled.
* Invisibility now makes the caster invisible after 3 seconds, reduced from 5 seconds.
* Magic Attunement (Arcane) now also increases the range of your Arcane spells by 3/6 yards.
* Polymorph now costs 12% of base mana.
* Portal spells now cost 18% of base mana.
* Prismatic Cloak (Arcane) now also reduces the fade time of Invisibility by 1/2 seconds.
* Slow Fall now costs 6% of base mana.
* Teleport spells now cost 9% of base mana.

bye bye mage class

Leeh
30-07-2008, 04:26 AM
bye?in what part, at raids i see a buffage (untill they change things again) i cant wait to respec 10x a day to test the best spec out when it comes!
Mighty, your link is dead ;)

in pvp.. meh dont care, think pvp talents are put in each spec again, frost still owns i guess.

Flawless
30-07-2008, 05:45 AM
bye bye mage class

This REALLY annoys me, I swear the same goddamn fucking shit was said before TBC, OMFG BAI BAI <class> QQ.

Warlee
30-07-2008, 10:44 AM

ps. Flawless you act like an idiot. I think you should get some fresh air.

Muffy
30-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Thats a lot of mana for a polymorph lmfao.

Arthran
30-07-2008, 11:01 AM
no its not

your base mana is what, 7000? were talking naked here. so thats what 900 mana?

900mana from your 14-15k pool fully buffed and geared... so what?

Phanthastic
30-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Mages

* Arcane Focus (Arcane) is now 3 ranks and increases chance to hit and reduces mana cost of Arcane spells by 1/2/3%.
* Frost Armor, Ice Armor, Mage Armor and Molten Armor are no longer Magic effects and cannot be dispelled.
* Invisibility now makes the caster invisible after 3 seconds, reduced from 5 seconds.
* Magic Attunement (Arcane) now also increases the range of your Arcane spells by 3/6 yards.
* Portal spells now cost 18% of base mana.
* Prismatic Cloak (Arcane) now also reduces the fade time of Invisibility by 1/2 seconds.
* Slow Fall now costs 6% of base mana.
* Teleport spells now cost 9% of base mana.

bye bye mage class

You mean bye bye pvp mage? Those changes hardly effect pve :)

Link fixed

Flawless
30-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh, so I take you've played the beta then and experience these changes first hand to know what its really like? or is this just another, "Look guys, I read this on a forum. We're fucked". Not to mention its a beta, you know... where things change. CU@Warhammer.

Kinshara
30-07-2008, 03:37 PM
How about the more interesting changes from this week's build? Low tier fire is pretty evil now.

Arcane

* Arcane Subtley - Lower your target's resistances by 5/10 changed to 15/30% dispel resist
* Wand Specialization - Removed
* Arcane Fortitude - Moved to Wand Specialization's spot, changed to 3 ranks, now provides 50/100/150% of your Intellect into armor.
* Magic Absorption - Changed to 2 ranks, increases resistances by .5/1 per level, now only restores 1/2% of mana on full resist.
* Arcane Impact - Renamed Spell Impact. Now increases the damage of your Arcane Explosion, Arcane Blast, Blast Wave, Fire Blast, Ice Lance, and Cone of Cold by 2/4/6%.
* Student of the Mind - Moved to Tier 3
* Focus Magic - New Tier 3 talent, increases magic damage taken by the target by 150, lasts 1 min or 50 charges.
* Improved Mana Shield - Renamed Arcane Shielding, now increases the armor and resistances gained by the mage by 25/50%.
* Improved Blink - Now reduces the mana cost of Blink by 25/50%, and chance to be hit for 4 sec after Blink by 15/30%.
* Prismatic Cloak - Now reduces damage taken by 2/4/6% and Invisibility fade time by 1/2/3 sec
* Arcane Potency - Reduced to 2 ranks, connected to Presence of Mind instead of Clearcasting, Increases critical strike chance of any spell by 30% when
* Empowered Arcane Missiles - Renamed Arcane Empowerment, now Increases the damage of your Arcane Missiles spell by an amount equal to 15/30/45% of your spell power and the damage of your Arcane Blast by 3/6/9% of your spell power.
* Potent Spirit - Removed, replaced by Arcane Flows. Reduces the cooldown of your Presence of Mind, Arcane Power and Invisibility spells by 30/60 secs.
* Netherwind Presence - Reduced to 3 ranks and moved up a tier, now increases your spell haste by 2/4/6%.
* Missile Barrage - Added in place of Netherwind Presence. Gives your Arcane Blast, Fireball, Frostbolt and Frostfire Bolt spells a 15% chance to reduce the channeled duration of the next Arcane Missiles spell by 2.5 secs and fire missiles every .5 secs.

Fire

* Improved Fire Blast - Moved to Tier 1, now 2 ranks, Reduces the cooldown of your Fire Blast spell by 1/2 sec.
* Incineration - Moved to tier 1, now 3 ranks, Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire Blast, Scorch, Arcane Blast and Cone of Cold spells by 2/4/6%.
* Burning Determination - New Tier 2 talent, When Interrupted or Silenced you have a 50/100% chance to become immune to both mechanics for 10 seconds.
* World in Flames - Moved to Tier 2, Increases the critical strike chance of your Flamestrike, Blast Wave, Dragon's Breath, Living Bomb, Blizzard and Arcane Explosion spells by 2/4/6%.
* Flame Throwing - Moved to Tier 3
* Impact - Moved to Tier 3
* Pyroblast - Cast time reduced to 5 seconds
* Improved Scorch - More damage types added, now your Scorch spells have a 33/66/100% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Fire, Frost and Arcane damage, increasing damage taken by 2/4/6/6/10% and lasts 30 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times.
* Master of Elements - Fire and frost wording removed, now your spell criticals will refund 10% of their base mana cost.
* Blast Wave - Knockback added, now a wave of flame radiates outward from the caster, damaging all enemies caught within the blast for 154 to 186 Fire damage, knocking them back and Dazing them for 6 seconds.
* Fiery Payback - Changed to, When below 35% health all Physical and Fire damage taken is reduced by 10/20% and your Pyroblast spell's cast time is reduced by 1.75/3.5 secs.
* Empowered Fireball - Changed to 3 ranks, Increases the damage of your Fireball spell by an amount equal to 5/10/15% of your spell power.
* Firestarter - New talent added, Your Blast Wave and Dragon's Breath spells have a 15/30/45% chance to make your next Flamestrike spell instant cast. Lasts 10 seconds.
* Dragon's Breath - Disorient changed from 3 sec to 5 sec
* Burnout - Talent changed to read, Increases your spell critical damage bonus with all Fire spells by 5/10/15/20/25% but your spell criticals cost an additional 1/2/3/4/5% of the spell's cost.
* Living Bomb - Mana drain added, The caster becomes a living bomb, causing 51 Fire damage to all enemies within 10 yards every 2 sec. After 6 seconds, a fiery explosion occurs causing 212 Fire damage to all enemies within 10 yards and burning 106 mana, dealing damage equal to the amount drained.

Frost

* Shattered Barrier - New Tier 6 talent that gives your Ice Barrier spell a 50/100% chance to trigger a Frost Nova when it is destroyed.
* Winter's Grasp - Renamed to Fingers of Frost, which gives your Frost damage spells a 5/10% chance to apply the Fingers of Frost effect, which treats your next Frost spell cast on the target as if the target were Frozen. Lasts 10 seconds.
* Brain Freeze - Changed to give your Frost damage spells have a 5/10/15% chance to cause your next Fireball spell to be instant cast and cost no mana.
* Improved Water Elemental - Changed to increase the duration of your Summon Water Elemental spell by 5/10/1515 sec and your Water Elemental heals all party or raid members 1/2/3% of their total health every 5 secs.
* Chilled to the Bone - Changed to increase the damage caused by your Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt and Ice Lance spells by 1/2/3/4/5% and reduces the movement speed of all chilled targets by an additional 2/4/6/8/10%.
* Deep Freeze - Damage added, causes 694 to 806 Frost damage and stuns the target for 5 seconds. Only usable on Frozen targets.

Kanzei
30-07-2008, 03:47 PM
* Wand Specialization - Removed

WHY GOD WHY

soulshift
30-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Pity he's right though.
It's the same story as we had pre-tbc and often before each patch.

Warlee
30-07-2008, 07:31 PM
All I said was for pvp. Sorry for not mentioning this...
8 Polymorphs to oom mage is just silly and so far there isnt any other mana buff to cover these changes.

Oh, so I take you've played the beta then and experience these changes first hand to know what its really like?

No sir, I dont have time to even keep up my normal toon due to vacations so I am not taking part in beta.

Arthran
30-07-2008, 08:11 PM
8 Polymorphs to oom mage is just silly...

well if you gonna cast spells naked your silly...

I repeat... its 12% of BASE mana, thats base naked level 80 mana...

Your base mana is what, 7000? were talking naked here. so thats what 900 mana?

900mana from your 14-15k pool fully buffed and geared... so what?

Dont Panic over nothing.

Kinshara
30-07-2008, 08:14 PM
All I said was for pvp. Sorry for not mentioning this...
8 Polymorphs to oom mage is just silly and so far there isnt any other mana buff to cover these changes.

12% *base* mana. As in the mana pool you have when naked. Add in all the mana from int on your gear and it'll take quite a bit more than 8 polys to run you oom.

This isn't even counting the buffs to spirit/regen, if you take the appropriate talents for that.

Edit: bah, beaten by Arthran :|

Flawless
30-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Edit: bah, beaten by Arthran :|

THE SHAME!

Arthran
30-07-2008, 09:16 PM
twice, i posted it on page 1 as well :P

Warlee
31-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Man, who is nowdays ever fully buffed in pvp... Its just base mana + pvp gear which has poor +int.
900 mana is a lot. Polymorph is often last step to save your ass and do evocation while enemy blowed all cooldowns.
If they dont give us on gear tons of +int then its totaly stupid. Lets even say we have to spend 15k pool. Its still unreal amount looking at new cost of cs and polymorph, unless time of sheep in pvp will rise from 10 seconds to 30 or so and cs effect will be improved. I dont get also whats purpose of this nerf.

Rogues get for example GBC removed from kick, how does it go in pair with mage cs mana cost increased?

Also, I dont panic, not like I plan to play Wotlk anyway, but I just cant get over all these constant changes in game that Blizzard involve. Whats the point?

sorry for any english mistackes, im kinda tired this hour

Bleetman
31-07-2008, 12:49 AM
9% of a level 70 mage's base mana pool is, based on Icy Veins cost, 201. 12% is 268. Counter spell currently costs 100 mana, and polymorph is 150, meaning the cost increase is around 100 mana for both.

Game breaking.

Warlee
31-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Hmm, how exacly does it work then? Got some link?

Bleetman
31-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I just took the current cost of Icy Veins (which costs 3% of base mana, according to Wowhead) and multiplied it.

Hell, remove curse costs 8%. And that's, what, 250ish?

Corruption
31-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Warlee, the King of jumping to conclusions.

Leeh
31-07-2008, 11:29 PM
The way i see it you will have frost + fire mages working together in raids now as they both will buff eachother. And arcane always tempting you to spec it. The build i posted earlier is even better with the newest changes! but hey.. its beta i'll bet they'll nerf a thing or 2 of it

Leeh
31-07-2008, 11:34 PM
ohh hell look at this(!):

Mage

* Arcane Blast effect duration reduced to 3 seconds, and now increases damage by 15/30/45% instead of reducing cast time.

* Empowered Arcane Missiles renamed Arcane Empowerment and no longer increases mana cost. It now also increases damage caused by Arcane Blast.

i smell some arcane competitionnnn

Jethrotull
01-08-2008, 12:43 AM
AB's reduced cast time increased its overall dps by 66% upon 3 debuffs though, vs 45% now. so that's a nerf.

The 3 second debuff means you can squueze in an arcane barrage and continue with AB. While this is nice, and makes arcane work with haste, it's not really a buff since you'll just rely on AB more, and it will still be mana draining and scaling poorly.
Come to think of it, it will make the scaling even worse since AB currently receives +71.43% from bonus spelldmg on all casts, no matter the casttime. so the short casts were gaining a relatively large amount of spelldmg, and with normalized casttimes that advantage is destroyed.

Arcane empowerment seems an ok talent to grab 'while you're at it', but I'm still very hesitant to dub the arcane tree competitive at this state. Then again I'm only going on experience and not actual testing so who knows ;)

Flawless
01-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Jeth is a fire nub, who was frost for years until I told him you got high nuking with fire. Don't listen to him ;p

soulshift
01-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Jeth forced me to spec my mage full fire. Listen to Flawless. :<

Jethrotull
01-08-2008, 09:30 AM
What I didn't realize last night, and do now is that increasing dmg rather than cast speed increases the DPM a lot, making AB better for mana conserve.

Also, yes. Flawless is right. I'm a nub who was frost for too long :P

Atm I'm just very excited over the new fire tree, I can't say arcane looks bad. it actually looks better than ever, I'm just not sure about it :P

Scouserlol
01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Resto shamans are pretty much crying about the same thing in terms of mana cost for spells.

Leeh
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Well im sure if you can spam arcane blast now that you can reach 3k dps at raids (with or without 2x t5). But you'll need 2 shadowpriests in your party. The matter that the debuff increases damage will make it doable with 1 sp in your group. Youll just spam arcane blast just as you spam frostbolts/fireballs. And That kinda makes arcane blast a good advesary

Kinshara
01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
The matter that the debuff increases damage will make it doable with 1 sp in your group.

Or a survival hunter, or ticks from a resto druid's rejuv, or a shammy's raidwide totems, or the beefed up JoW, or... lots of mana regen for raids in LK :)

(Good thing too, given the 1-pot-per-fight debuff)

Trupiaczacha
02-08-2008, 10:08 PM
This REALLY annoys me, I swear the same goddamn fucking shit was said before TBC, OMFG BAI BAI <class> QQ.

ROFL

and you alrady forget that TBC did kill mages ?? he ??

1 mage in raids is max.

about PvP i dont know and dont care ;)

lets hope for more buffs... so we can be agian good in raids ;(

Warlee
03-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, in pvp case. TBC didnt kill mages in pvp. TBC killed pvp :D

Adharc
03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Well, in pvp case. TBC didnt kill mages in pvp. TBC killed pvp :D

Har har.

sixtus
03-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Regardless of if we are screwed or not in the expansion, it's funny how people use expressions they don't know what means:

Base Mana (http://www.wowwiki.com/Base_Mana)

Basically saying:
The term "Base Mana" refers to how much mana your character has before it is modified by Intellect, Enchants and other item effects. Quite a few spells require a percentage of your base mana to be cast, including all Warlock pet summons, Druid shapeshifting spells, Misdirection, Resurrection and Blink (in 2.4) spells.

Basically meaning you'll need to subtract all of your intellect from your mana pool (1 intellect=15 mana)

For a mage that would mean a base pool of 2241 mana.

Sxtus

Warlee
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Well, it was my bad tho its still a nerf :P

Adharc
04-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Basically meaning you'll need to subtract all of your intellect from your mana pool (1 intellect=15 mana)

For a mage that would mean a base pool of 2241 mana.

Sxtus

I don't believe this is the correct definition. When you level up, you're awarded, for example, 27 mana and 1 intellect. Those are different things, and the base intellect is not connected to base mana.

Remove every *item* that gives you +mana or +int bonus, and then you'll have your base mana.

Trupiaczacha
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Remove every *item* that gives you +mana or +int bonus, and then you'll have your base mana.

simpel ? get it now ? :D

atlest i do see it so too

sixtus
04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't believe this is the correct definition. When you level up, you're awarded, for example, 27 mana and 1 intellect. Those are different things, and the base intellect is not connected to base mana.

Well it's not something I've cooked up in a haze of multiple drugs, I just quoted Wowwiki, to which I linked as well.

And when it comes to believing or not, I'll leave that to yourself:

Take Blink (http://thottbot.com/s1953) as an example:

It should cost 21% of your base mana, that to me is 470 mana

if 470 is 21% then (470/21*100) 2238.1 would be the base mana (according to wowwiki it's 2241 and 21% of that is 470.61 so close)

If it would be my total mana when naked it would be: 4196, and Blink would then cost 881.16 which it doesn't.

Sxtus

ps. these calculations are of course for level 70. What your base mana is at level 80 I do not know. But it shouldn't be hard to find out.

Trupiaczacha
04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
i will need to cheek this on WOTLK servers ;p never did pay attencion to it...

but for me base mana is whot i have naked at lvl 80. but i can be wrong ofc.

sageclaire
14-08-2008, 09:07 PM
A question to the beta testers here.
Will frost raiding be viable in wotlk? With the buffing of winterchill - frost/arcane/fire crit chance increased by 10% ( 5 stacks ) and the improved water elemental returning mana to the group? Can they do job like the afflic locks are doing in TBC ? ( not that high dps, but provides raid buffs - improved curse/ reducing the dmg of physical dmg etc ? )

The ice talents for wotlk looks nice.
Thnx in advance.

Phanthastic
14-08-2008, 11:14 PM
What affli locks in tbc? All are 0/21/40 if they raid.

Leeh
15-08-2008, 01:31 AM
woow thats a huge buff on winter's chill. I wont mind being the frost mage in the raid then ;p

sageclaire
15-08-2008, 01:11 PM
What affli locks in tbc? All are 0/21/40 if they raid.

Nope. Lots of guilds still have one or at max 2 afflic locks in the guild. Improved CoS is tooo good to drop, not to mention the physical dmg reduction debuffs on mobs. Well, in raid, yes .... 4/5/6 ( what ever ) 21/40 shadow destro locks + 1 afflic lock, to buff the destro locks even more.

Leeh
15-08-2008, 02:18 PM
you're comparing affli locks with frost mages, the buff that frost mages will give as it stands now is much greater imo. And frost mages push lot more dps than afflic locks atm

Trupiaczacha
16-08-2008, 01:55 PM
there is posibelity that for taking to max caster DPS in raids you will take 3 mages... with 3 deep builds (arc/fire/frost)...

but well we will see...

Vegelus
16-08-2008, 08:43 PM
there is posibelity that for taking to max caster DPS in raids you will take 3 mages... with 3 deep builds (arc/fire/frost)...

but well we will see...
That would be the best solution for every class.

Gyundor
16-08-2008, 08:47 PM
That would be the best solution for every class.

Besides the fact you would end up with 30 class/spec combo's...

Phanthastic
19-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Nope. Lots of guilds still have one or at max 2 afflic locks in the guild. Improved CoS is tooo good to drop, not to mention the physical dmg reduction debuffs on mobs. Well, in raid, yes .... 4/5/6 ( what ever ) 21/40 shadow destro locks + 1 afflic lock, to buff the destro locks even more.

Well must be me who have missed all the affli locks then O.o

Lus
25-08-2008, 01:18 PM
What has happened to real Trup? The one posting here is definately a hoax because people can understand him :D

dantheman
25-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Lus!

Trupiaczacha
26-08-2008, 09:52 AM
What has happened to real Trup? The one posting here is definately a hoax because people can understand him :D

they did QQ to much so you know. :P

and how are you anyway crazy mage ? :)

Muffy
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
To be honest i think frost mages will be stronger in pvp after the patch with more Nova's stuns etc.

not looked at the other classes yet but hey ho.. Looks pretty promicing!

Lus
10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Yo Dan!

And fast replies ftw :D

Been fine, found some old guildies and doing some raiding with them with mage atm. Pwning meters etc still ;) Luckily no lock has 4 set bonus though even then would give them run for their money :D. Now we are waiting patch and then trying to kill Illidan before WotLK is in.

Still trying to decide what class to level up first. Probly gonna go with mage though (got pally, druid and warlock geared too if I change my mind). Mages looking pretty strong on WotLK and I've been always enjoying playing him. Fire has real promise at the moment and frost gives nice utility, haven't seen good info about Frostfire yet and how it will work comparing fire / frost.

So how's you guys?

Trupiaczacha
10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Mages looking atm to be top DPS classe in WOTLK.

and ofc lvling mage as fast i can :P