View Full Version : "Spirit specced priests"

Taurusos
23-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Well, tell me; how many of raiding guilds out there actually use Divine Spi priests?

We used to before, but tbh at this state it hasnt really changed much for us. We have all or most of our priests CoH specced. Mana regen wise and so on, sure it is usefull. But, the feel of it being really needed never been there since 6 weeks back when we actually had a spi priest on Brut. Mana never was an issue in SWP, at least not big enough issue that it couldnt be helped by spriests x 3.

Im sure the resto druids might enjoy the spi more than any other class and since we run with 1 resto and many times no resto druids at all and it works fine, we really havent had the need.

So divine spi, you got it in your raid?

/Tau

soulshift
23-06-2008, 07:36 AM
The extra spelldamage/healing isn't that bad either if the priest specced imp. divine spirit.

Arthran
23-06-2008, 08:13 AM
without a spirit priest our Priest officer would cry

tbh with the change to spirit and regen, whilst the priest specced into spirit looses out, all mage/priests/druids are happy happy people with a spirit priest in the raid

Suricarta
23-06-2008, 08:18 AM
I still think even after the changes they are nice to have, afterall, the extra spirit does help mana regen and even if its not a big deal, it does lighten the pressure slightly on peopel conserving their mana. on top of that, the 10% damage of spirit part of the buff is actually quiet nice. Look at it this way, when you upgrade a piece of gear you do it for small increases in stats and damage, this buff effectly does this for al your casters, it might not be a huge upgrade as an individual, but as a raid that increased damage does add up. As a shadowpriest I love it especialy, more spirit = more regen + more damage (when improved) with means more mana returned to my entire group :)

Arnath
26-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Depends on if we have enough CoH available. Healing priests themselves enjoy spirit as much as your druids and others too enjoy the benefits of the improved version. That being said, I don't class it much better or worse than many other buffs.
As such, if we have enough CoH to be comfortable, bringing a priest with imp. spirit is a nice, but not required, addition to the raid.

Ashym
26-06-2008, 10:19 PM
We have 1 in every raid usually. If it's not needed and CoH is more beneficial to whatever fights we're doing that night then he can be CoH spec'd too. I personally thing the 10% spirit > damage is a great addition to a raid.

Valoran
27-06-2008, 11:15 AM
The biggest thing to take into consideration is what your healing assignments are. If you have a priest who's not raid healing but instead on something static such as tank healing, they should probably be spirit specced.

Chicken/egg logic, possibly, so maybe the consideration should more be if you can survive with one less CoH (i.e you already have one or two and some shamanz).

Taurusos
27-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Gladly so far, even with loss of resto shamans, we made sure to have a proper dkp system so that hybrids get offspec gear for free. That has lead to having elemental shamans spec resto, enh spec resto when needed etc.

But the obvious as you said pretty much all depends to encounter type and raidsetup.

SWP is bit special though.

We do:

Kalec 8 healers
Brut 7
Fel 8
Twins 10
M'uru learning 6 healers (50 % p1)

Anyways, to me, it feels better to just have an alt or main outside instance doing the spi on raid rather than breaking the possibility of CoH (loss).

For example on Brut/Twins, dps is not an issue and we havent had spi for like uhm 2 months.
Muru dps is fine, the problem is getting used to the pace of the fight and be ready for each new sent/humanoidpack etc etc.

Mentioning dps since it was mentioned in earlier posts.

However, for mana regen yes, that might make things easier.

Hmm hmmm hmm.

/Tau

captpicard
27-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Anyways, to me, it feels better to just have an alt or main outside instance doing the spi on raid rather than breaking the possibility of CoH (loss).
/Tau

Its allways an option, your more then welcome to do so. I've (ab)used your Spirit alt myself on the few occasions Wrath was desperate enough to field me on anything above Gruuls lair and him being there.

Personally i see room for one on Kal to Twins (sadly Wrath does not field retards on murururu and onward so i cant judge those two..) but it's been said before fully dependand on how you use your priests.

Never send an alt to do a mains job though, unless he's Morri's priest he's awesome.

Taurusos
27-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Its allways an option, your more then welcome to do so. I've (ab)used your Spirit alt myself on the few occasions Wrath was desperate enough to field me on anything above Gruuls lair and him being there.

Personally i see room for one on Kal to Twins (sadly Wrath does not field retards on murururu and onward so i cant judge those two..) but it's been said before fully dependand on how you use your priests.

Never send an alt to do a mains job though, unless he's Morri's priest he's awesome.

I notice certain hints in this post lmao.

Elaborate.

/Tau

captpicard
27-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I notice certain hints in this post lmao.

Elaborate.

/Tau

Worship Morithil.
http://www.marketmaxgroup.com/images/pray_z3a9.jpg

Ghee
15-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I love having a DS-specced priest in our raids, not only does it increase my healing it also increases my MP5 (as you all know).

I don't feel that it is necessarily a compromise to take one - one of our DS priests is 35/26/0 and is, more often than not, very close to the top of the healing for all our raids because she has specced spirit so high that her MP5 means she can out-heal most, if not all, of the rest of us all the time.

Of course, the key is to not compromise the success of your raid overall so it's all about that thing we all love the most - balance!

That was quite a lot of words to not say anything much that was of use :D

Ryel
17-07-2008, 02:29 PM
The biggest thing to take into consideration is what your healing assignments are. If you have a priest who's not raid healing but instead on something static such as tank healing, they should probably be spirit specced.
Ok, sure, a spirit priest is a bit better off healing tanks than the raid. But saying a CoH priest does a worse job healing tanks... I never understood that argument. In fact CoH specced priests might get more healing done on a tank since they actually have the full talent for empowered healing.

Also, to maximise the use of DS in a raid the healers need to make the most out of their gems and go spirit instead of mp5. Sadly people don't realise/care that spirit stacks and mp5 doesn't, making DS even less useful.

Valoran
17-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Ok, sure, a spirit priest is a bit better off healing tanks than the raid. But saying a CoH priest does a worse job healing tanks... I never understood that argument. In fact CoH specced priests might get more healing done on a tank since they actually have the full talent for empowered healing.Nowhere do I say that DS priests are worse off healing tanks than a 20/41 priest. However, if you're speccing 41 or more into holy, you're doing it for CoH and the advantages that brings to raid healing, not the extra points in empowered healing. My point was more that if you have one priest who isn't going to be using CoH and is instead healing the tank, you may as-well spec them into DS for the benefit that brings the whole raid rather than the extra 2 points in empowered healing.
Also, to maximise the use of DS in a raid the healers need to make the most out of their gems and go spirit instead of mp5. Sadly people don't realise/care that spirit stacks and mp5 doesn't, making DS even less useful.
Healing priests and druids should never gem for mp5 as of 2.4. Purified Shadowsong Amethysts are always better than their Royal cousins with or without IDS in the raid. The same goes for 10 spirit vs. 4 mp5 gems (which were retarded anyway. :P). No spec can stop your raid not gemming correctly, and they should be doing this regardless of your spec.

Angwold
17-08-2008, 09:12 AM
While i am logged in i might as well reply.

DS is alot more important than people give it credit for.

It is obviously not a do or die thing, but it definately warrants a spot in a raid for a disc priest.
If you wanna min/max with a DS priest outside to buff, sure, but you are doing something odd then.

A DS priest is more or less on par with a pala. Another useful blessing/buff, and a very capable direct healing class.

One of the things that makes a priest useful is itīs diversity. DS comes at the cost of AoE healing capabilitys, but with some violent abuse of talents a DS priest can PoH just aswell.

DS adds alot of dps in total if you are caster heavy, aswell as regen (the question is; -"what is a mana mana?!).

Though, it does not stack, so one is enough.
Our DS priest is on vacation, and i sorely miss her!
Having a DS priest changes my healing patterns, i think that is proof enough of the usefulness.

At the end of the day, you cannot have too much spirit! And thats is the truth! :)

/Ang

Anathema
24-08-2008, 02:11 AM
One Divine Spirit Priest per raid is generally a good thing to have for the spell damage. And stacking spirit is a perfectly viable strategy when you consider that the Priest mana regen paradigm revolves around dodging in and out of the the Five Second Rule. Having a ton of Spirit helps you get nice large regen ticks, and imagine when you combing that with trinkets such as the Bangle of Endless Blessings (which is so good it should be epic).

Rancore
24-08-2008, 04:20 PM
without a spirit priest our Priest officer would cry

tbh with the change to spirit and regen, whilst the priest specced into spirit looses out, all mage/priests/druids are happy happy people with a spirit priest in the raid

Aye i do cry, spirit is totally awesome.

However in saying that one of our pallys has a level 70 alt priest, who I just pay to do the IDS. Im not going to force any of my main priests to spec that many points in Disc its a healing nerf except for that one talent. Spiriting from outside of the main 25 is easy and fast to do. If they stopped it from applying if the priest wasnt actually in raid 25 I would definitely want one specced that way..
Wotlk nearly gives disc a point atm so hopefully when its all finalised a full on disc wont just be a nerfed healing priest. BTW disc leveling in beta = nice, no 10 levels of shadow for me this time.

PS erm don't bother with my armory spec just go to elitist jerks if you don't know how to spec - i respec all the time depending on where we are raiding that night - checking my armory may give you my fun MH nova spec, my Teron survival spec, etc. Yay for BC making 50g seem cheap :D

PSS I do consider Imp Fort and Imp Spirit both to be essential buffs. I'm not going to spec either though ;)
Imp fort as long as one has it, is wasted points for rest - SP's almost always do - I just give em candles or do all the Shadow res.
Imp DS is best given by an outside the 25 disc specced alt raider (min-maxed from a rogue I guess if you are ultra hardcore) atm my pally colleagues alt misses out when he swaps to rebuff.