View Full Version : Enh Shaman - Increasing my DPS.

Bunneh
12-06-2008, 07:53 AM
*skip this bit if you can't be arsed to read a life story :D*

About 1 and a half years ago Thwap was born, with his 2 brothers; Thwip and Thwop. Sadly both Thwip and Thwop disappeared from the radar and Thwap was left alone, walking the plans of The Barrens; a solitary cow in a world of Undead rogues.

My love affair with the Horde was born, but my duties as a Guild Master and then Co GM always dragged me back to the alliance. Leveling him was slow, and I leveled him as Restoration, so it was even slower. Hitting 40 and getting my mount, I couldn't face leveling him any more and he fell by the wayside, untouched by my grubby paws until recently.

Teaming up with a friend we leveled together as Shaman and Warrior, we'd cut through mobs like butter, then he got a girlfriend and has pretty much dumped WoW in place of sex; crazy fool :P I hit 60 on my own, and then plowed through the next 10 levels extremely rapidly, even though I am working. Now the interest in making this guy into something useful has hit home.

Now the question.

5 mans my DPS is okay, I can keep up with epic geared players with my mid 60 blues, although anyone with a clue what they're doing will piss all over me. I was invited into Kz with a few guys from Hellscream's, OTD and Hive and that's where my lack of knowledge really pissed me off. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a damage metre watcher, if I do my job well I am happy but I do need some pointers on my spell cycle. My current DPS seems to vary, I get between 470-600.

From what I can gather it's timing my shocks (ES/FS) so that I have Stormstrike always available, but as I say I really haven't a bloody clue what I am doing.

I'm not PvPing, had enough of that on my druid, so I'm looking at improving my DPS as a PvE Shaman and I don't want to go Elemental; I have a mage and it seems to similar.

I use WF on both weapons and Strength and Agility totems down most of the time, unless the warriors/rogues/paladins want a WF totem planking down. I've been told my weapons are a little too fast at 2.4, so I am looking for 2.6 weapons. I don't really have access to many raids so raid gear, while not out of reach, will be a rarity - plus taking me into a raid is gimping the group somewhat. So I am trying to get into various instances to get some gear together.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Thwap

I've glanced through EJ's Enh. Shaman section but it made my eyes bleed. So what I'm after is layman's terms on what I need to be doing.

Thanks.

Matzumo
12-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Well I'm new to enhancement shamans as well, the first I started farming for is MH and OH weapon from honor vendor 2.6 fist in MH and 2.6 axe in offhand, if you're orc you should of course get axes, because of your expertice racial. That'll definitely be the easiest DPS booster to get

Usually you should use the totem that benefits the group most, if the tank has trouble maintaining aggro you should use the air totem that benefit his class, but else use the totems that benefit the most DPSers in your group.

You probably already know this but if you stand behind a mob they can't parry your attacks, so usually see if you can stand behind a target.

My DPS cycle for trash is something like this stormstrike->FS->fire nova totem->ES->stormstrike->ES->fire nova totem->FS, for bigger pulls where CC is used it's of course not possible to use fire nova totem, so use searing totem instead. For bosses make sure you've mana shield up at all time, and don't use fire nova totems since it'll consume to much mana, did with me anyway.

From what I've read you only need to aim for about 100ish hit rating, crit and strength is what you should be gunning for. Executioner enchant on MH and mongoose on offhand is what I've read.

edit: btw you should get
Totem of Astral winds from heroic mana tombs http://www.wowdb.com/item.aspx?id=27815

or

Stonebreaker's Totem from badge vendor (20 badges) http://www.wowdb.com/item.aspx?id=33507#comments

Stumpet
12-06-2008, 08:50 AM
There are loads of good guides on official forums: Geting the 2.6 pvp weapons is good and if you cant afford mongoose go for crusader.

the most used cycles are stormstrike>flamme shock> earth shock and ofc totem twisting witch i never have tried.

Also following all the guides double mongoose will always out dps executioner+mongoose unless you stack ingore armor to sick amounts according to the now how folks ill try and link the guide if i can find it :)

Thrane
12-06-2008, 09:30 AM
From what I can gather it's timing my shocks (ES/FS) so that I have Stormstrike always available, but as I say I really haven't a bloody clue what I am doing.

They'll overlap eventually, not much you can do that. Basically just rotate FS->ES->FS->etc and slap in SS when it's done, yea, you'll overlap from time to time but as I said, not much to do other than speccing Ele subspec.

From what I've read you only need to aim for about 100ish hit rating, crit and strength is what you should be gunning for. Executioner enchant on MH and mongoose on offhand is what I've read.

You shouldn't really aim for hit at all. You've got enough through talents. However at higher levels of gear with more haste, hit's impact will increase but this doesn't mean you need to gem for it. Hit gems make baby jesus cry after all. Best thing to do is run the sim at http://theorycraft.narod.ru/ and find your EP values. Also, don't be afraid to use leather, it's usually better.

Concerning the Mongoose/Executioner, again, use the sim. See what you get with either combo. But as stumpet says, the more ArP you already have, the better Executioner will become.

Weaponwise, as Matzumo here says, try aiming for the honor weapons. And since you say you're doing Kara, try picking up a decapitator.

Also, I know you already glanced at EJ and it made your eyes bleed but it's really not that complicated :P

Kabhanda
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
At your gear level its actually worth considering 'hunter' type gear (mail that has int) rather than the 'rogue type' (leather) as your sham rage mana returns are going to be much lower, so a larger mana pool helps cope with really bad procs a bit more easily.

As you gear up more though, aim at 'the best dps piece' which generally tends to be leather, avoid shaman enhancement teir sets, there is always a better option. If you ever reach T6 kind of gear level you will be better off specing ele/enh rather than enh/resto as the elem talents you can grab for shocks scale better with large AP values than the +hit in resto does.

As to enchants, its very much likely you will be better off with mongoose, its not stacking ArP that makes executioner viable (although it certainly makes it better), its having a high enough base crit value that makes mongoose dip below executioner.

For your current gear level, even though the two badge fists are the 'best' items you can get without high end pve or gladiator level pvp, the easiest way to gear is to spend honour on the highest level of weapon you can get from that (so wait for season four to start) and use badges for other gear slots, as the rest of the pvp gear for enhance is very weak.

If you are really low on badges, pick up the totem from Pandy in heroic Mana Tombs, its nearly as good as the badge one (better if you suck at using shocks) and leaves badges free for other purchases.

And yeah, if you do run the sim to get personal EP values, you 'aim' for the items that score highest, anyone saying something like 'aim for X amount of Y stat' is stupid, ignore them.

Borwin
13-06-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't know, I've never ever had mana problems, I would say go all out rogue leather gear, skip all int and mp5. Your attack power looks high enough for you to get a significant return from shamanistic rage.

I think you are doing the rest right.. attack cycle is stormstrike whenever its up and then flame shock->ES except on light trash when its probly more efficient to only use ES.

str + crit is the way to go up to full epic gear, then you can start look at armor penetration. hit rating comes automatically and you dont need to aim for any amount.

maxdps.com is a good rough gear guide for enh shamans, it can be ways off, but for example the Talbuk Hide Spaulders (maghar revered) are vastly superior to the blue pvp ones you got on atm.

All set items for enh shammies are perfectly crap until T5/6.

Bunneh
13-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this advice. I'll PuG a group to MT Heroic over the weekend as I have the free time then. Weapons are my first priority, I'll get into pugging BGs and also hitting heroics as much as possible.

Ran a normal SeH last night and did better than I expected, but my dps wasn't massively high, maintaining a 550-600 output.

I am in Kz tonight/saturday, all being well, albeit in crap gear, so hoping for a certain axe off Prince.

I've printed this thread out so I can read it a little better this evening. Thanks again.

Kabhanda
13-06-2008, 09:54 AM
str + crit is the way to go up to full epic gear, then you can start look at armor penetration. hit rating comes automatically and you dont need to aim for any amount.

maxdps.com is a good rough gear guide for enh shamans, it can be ways off, but for example the Talbuk Hide Spaulders (maghar revered) are vastly superior to the blue pvp ones you got on atm.

All set items for enh shammies are perfectly crap until T5/6.

Anyone saying something like 'aim for X amount of Y stat' is stupid, ignore them.

This applies here too, you don't 'start look at armor penetration' at any specific gear level, ever. You take the best item for a slot. The reason shamans have some armour pen at high gear levels is not because armour pen becomes magically awesone, its because the items that happen to be good, also happen to have some armour pen.

maxdps.com is fucking awful, it may get some item orders right, but its more fluke than reasoning.

There are only three good pieces of shaman tier gear, they drop in sunwell, so saying tier gear is crap 'until T5/6' is very misleading, the T5 and the T6 stuff from BT/Hyj is shit.

Timothy
13-06-2008, 01:19 PM
You should also check your expectations.

Mages and warlocks for example push up their overall dps alot via AoE on trash groups in Karazhan that you can't compete with.

Check your dps on bosses and reevaluate your performance from there. ;)

Your gem and enchantment choices in terms of stats are good as far as I can tell
... not considering low level gems but the type is correct in any case.

And yeah new weapons as top priority so you have something worth puting Mongoose on.

Bunneh
13-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Aye the gems aren't great, the green ones are place holders until I can get their blue bigger brothers.

I'm in Kz tonight so hoping for one or two upgrades, if not, no worries, I'll just mither you for ShH runs :D

Stumpet
16-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Just did my first ever kara last nigth with Possum with my enhanc shaman and i pulled like 650 dps or something on prince and came third in damage done, takes a bit of work i seem`d to own up on threat meter also but that was mostly on trash. And as Timothy said AOE will leave you way behind but no worries you cut the gap on anything standing still :D

Bunneh
17-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Hitting 1350 AP now with about 23% crit. Seems my weapons are the things letting me down now, plus a bit more crit would not go amiss. 1 badge short of the Sunwell badge offhand, so pestering for heroics :D

Anywho, thanks again guys for your input :)

Stumpet
18-06-2008, 08:24 AM
100 more attack power then me but i have almost 30% crit 29,something unbuffed. And after finishing kara last nigth i was to my great frustation one mark short of offhand fist also :D

Stumpet
09-07-2008, 07:12 AM
How you doing on aggro Bunneh i seem to own up aggro meter more then rogs and warlocks and on a figth like nigthbane or whats his name (dragon on the way to prince) i cant hit him att all it seems when we are at the stage inbetween the lazor beams, and more often then not i get aggro at once it seems when the lazor show ends?

Bunneh
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Aggro wise I seem fine unless I start cranking up the criticals strikes. I tend to wait for a good 5k on Omen before I start, then it's white damage with just WF procs, just so the tank has time.

My DPS varies, seems to hit around 700 if I get the chance to spend time doing sustained DPS, but have found that I do quite a lot of backup healing and wood plonking. Maiden for example, I drop Grounding and Searing Totems as she seems to target them a lot during the fight and not players, they disappear a lot so I'm backing out of her poofball and dropping more totems.

I haven't fought NS so can't comment on the laser beam stages, but Nightbane I do a bit of totem juggling for the tank and our group to ruin the fear. Strength gets dropped until Fear comes along just before I drop a Tremor.

Got both fist weapons now, thanks to all in guild who put up with my crapness in Heroics to get them. Still after the totem from MT, no bugger wants to go, they're scared! Nancies :D Badge farming will continue until I'm so purple I'll look like a blackcurrent tauren.

Stumpet
11-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Did my first serpentshrine cavern the other day aggro didnt seem to be much of a problem as it is in kara guess its from more dps to spread it out on.

As for totem i had the honor one witch is shit didnt get group to get the heroic so i got the badger one witch is exellent

Snub
11-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Mostly the group wants Windfury totem huh, well pop both Grace of air and windfury
Pop windfury , then keep agi totem up for 8 sec, then WF totem and agi totem for 8 sec, rinse and repeat
good trick for high end enhancement shaman, you buff your group even better that way

Bunneh
12-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Been having a go at that and in the heat of battle it's just not possible to remember, hell I nearly always forget to drop fresh totems. There was an addon mentioned last night, and now for the life of me cannot remember the name.

Thrane
12-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Been having a go at that and in the heat of battle it's just not possible to remember, hell I nearly always forget to drop fresh totems. There was an addon mentioned last night, and now for the life of me cannot remember the name.

Disqodice, at least that's what I use for twisting

Bunneh
12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Cheers ears, I'll give that a whirl.

Haridim
13-07-2008, 11:54 PM
It's really good, I suggest it even if you are not twisting, it shows other cooldowns as well ,but as lines above each other. That way you know up to a ms which comes first. SS and WF cooldowns are on top of each other as well(in case you are delaying SS for WF CD by like 0.5 of a second or so). You can also see if your water shield is up. In general, very nice addon- it's light too.

http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/9729/

is the direct link taken from the ElitistJerks wiki.