View Full Version : HTML/Coding - Submit Form

Scouserlol
30-05-2008, 01:26 PM
So I've made a baic website for a friend and they want some fields for people to enter information, then press submit and send it to an email address. I've made a form that does this in Dreamweaver, but when you press submit it opens up an email for the user to send the information, instead of just submitting it through the website (if that makes sense?). So I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can do it and if someone can help me? I'ts likea 6 field form, so it's nothing complicated.

Thanks

Jachyra
30-05-2008, 04:30 PM
You cant do what you want with just HTML. You need to use a server side scripting language to handle the email. Commonly used languages are PHP, VBscript or JScript (via ASP) Perl, Java (via JSP) and lots of languages to choose from with ASP .Net. The choice of technology and subsequently language depends on what platform the server is based and what the hosting company will support.
If you dont want to get this deep into things there are free websites that will handle forms for you , try a goggle on it.

Fitzchivalry
13-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm fairly bored while waiting for my next college course to start, did you manage to fix this issue ?

Sloth
15-06-2008, 10:34 PM
jachyra already posted the 'solution', there is no way to handle this with a simple submit button and some HTML code.

Scouserlol
17-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I fixed it. I found a friend who knows ASP and he did it for me :)

Fitzchivalry
18-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

It's always good to have a post saying whether something worked or not. Makes life easier for people with similar problems.

Dreamweaver can do so much more than just basic HTML, it's just having the know how to use the server side integration tools. Been using this at college and still finding out what it can do.

Llort
25-06-2008, 01:52 PM
omg How dare you to spell out the word 'Dream...' *swallows the rest of the word*.

Seriously, that is about the same bullocks as designing websites with WORD!! And it is EVIL I TELL YOU!

Get something proper! Like phpEclipse or UltraEdit/UEStudio even. And write your code with hand instead of a WYSIWYG editor >_>

Scouserlol
26-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I wont mention the fact that I basically drew out the whole thing in Photoshop and just sliced it then :D

Fitzchivalry
26-06-2008, 10:47 PM
lol there is nothing wrong with Dreamweaver you can code behind Dreamweaver as well as other editing tools. The GUI of Dreamweaver is great for beginners to learn some of the more simple tasks that lets us progress and allow us to understand the coding behind it and progress onto more advanced projects. Personally I'm addicted to VB atm for some reason.

Llort
27-06-2008, 07:38 AM
it is better to DIY then to use a wysiwyg editor to learn stuff O.-

Matzumo
27-06-2008, 07:46 AM
I personally prefer zend studio, it's also good for beginners since it can correct most of your HTML and PHP coding, and also have loads of suggestions if you forget the name of a certain PHP command or variable names. Can also bind templates to hotkeys and supports all coding language you'll need for web coding but unfortunately it's not freeware

Jachyra
27-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Notepad++

;)

Valoran
27-06-2008, 12:27 PM
omg How dare you to spell out the word 'Dream...' *swallows the rest of the word*.

Seriously, that is about the same bullocks as designing websites with WORD!! And it is EVIL I TELL YOU!

Get something proper! Like phpEclipse or UltraEdit/UEStudio even. And write your code with hand instead of a WYSIWYG editor >_>
Comments in that post just show how small the websites you've designed have been. Any large website will be coded with a much larger IDE over a text editor only really suitable for doing small edits or 4-5 page websites.

Llort
27-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Heh,

TBH, I used UtlraEdit/UEStudio because of the built-in FTP. I wouldend really call the application that is made with it *small* O.o

PHPEclipse is just fine, although it lacks the FTP functionality.
(Our SVN server is broken atm, they can't activate new users, :P:P and it is not on their top-priority list :P)

And, seriously, how do you define *Larger IDE*.

And besides, ANYTHING is better as Dreamweaver.

Fitzchivalry
04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
But Dream weaver has a pretty name, makes little sense maybe but it does !