View Full Version : Arena Tournament, no add-ons?

Llort
11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
So I read through some rules of the Official Arena Tournament. It states that in the first and second qualification rounds add-ons may be used (as long as they are not illegal). I quote the rules:

Third party user interfaces compatible with World of Warcraft, and which do not violate the World of Warcraft Terms of Use may be used during the First and, if applicable, Second Qualification Rounds of the Tournament, but will not be allowed at the Regional Qualifier or the Finals. At the Regional Qualifier, and the Finals, Team Members will have fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of the first match with each opponent Team Member to prepare the computer on which they will use to participate in the Tournament match.
What do you think about this move, to disallow add-ons in the regional and finals?

Tsarina
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
I doubt it conserns anyone on Shadowsong, but since you ask, here's my random thought:

I don't use many addons in the arena. Proximo and NECB. NECB doesn't work anymore and Proximo is less important in 3v3. I don't think it will make a huge impact.

On second thought, when I heal (which isn't a lot), I use grid and clique too. It will be a bit rubbish for people who heal/cleanse/decurse without any unitframe addons. Some people will probably miss focus target windows as well.

Elexin
12-04-2008, 12:44 AM
On second thought, when I heal (which isn't a lot), I use grid and clique too. It will be a bit rubbish for people who heal/cleanse/decurse without any unitframe addons. Some people will probably miss focus target windows as well.

I'm pretty bad at pvp in the first place, but trying to pvp without clique and a focus frame would be terrible for me.
I could do without other mods if I had to (totem mods, decent raid frames, cooldown stuff) and I could use blizzards raid frames if I had no other choice, I'd just not be fond of doing so... but trying to heal and despoison without clique and keep track of a focus target without a frame would leave me far worse off than I am now.
Not that I necessarily couldn't do it, as I played for ages without clique anyway, but now that I'm used to it going back would be harder (and I'd definately mess up far more, probably in humiliatingly bad ways)

People in the tournament are going to be far better than me and some of them could probably adapt far better than I could, but even then I'd assume that a complete lack of mods could have a negative impact on tournament healers. Especially if they're used to playing with them (and I doubt that anyone plays modless at the moment just for the sake of it)

I get how removing all mods evens things up, but some things really should be in the basic blizz ui anyway (The focus frame at least. Surely it wouldn't have taken much to put one of those in at the same time as the focus function. I'd have said a totem timer too, but the last patch finally put one of those in. I'm sure other classes have similar 'simple' things that they can think of as being missing too though)

Kathra
12-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Interesting. So all the PvP addon junkies with insane-specced PC's are being forced to go back to basics?

Bring on the QQ

Scouserlol
12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Can't remember who said it but

"Add ons are a great way to get software to look at your screen for you"

Lednar
15-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Wondering how that'll go really. Most people are used with having the addons around helping you.

Oh, and as Kathra says, bring on the QQ...!