View Full Version : Need help with Zoomplayer.

Elexin
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I've been using Zoomplayer to play stuff that would otherwise require me to install the cccp, partly because I dislike codec packs and partly because I'm far too lazy to spend time working it all out.

Anyway, zoomplayer is great. It doesn't have the many problems that VLC has, it can handle soft subs properly, doesn't make stuff overlap, and its not ugly as hell.

The downside is.. well.. the subs are huge. Not just a bit huge, properly huge.
For some series I've put up with it, as its not too bad, but for others it just gets a bit excessive - if its a wordy subtitle it can split into four lines (I've had one occasion of five) and take up a third (or with the occasion of five, more) of the screen, including any random blackspace underneath the picture (whereas with VLC, rubbish though it is, it will only take up two lines and a sensible amount of the picture).
I'd take a picture of it but whether I screenshot with printscreen or framecapture using alt+f it leaves me with a blank screen so that wouldn't be much good.

I basically want to know how I can make the subtitles smaller. I've trauled through the options with no success so far, and the official website won't let me search it, I get redirected to some sort of alexa error page.
Despite that, I believe the option to change the font size has to be there somewhere :|

Does anyone else use it that might be able to help me?

Ruoste
15-04-2008, 11:17 AM
A bit delayed reply but...

I've been using Zoomplayer with ffdshow for years. ffdshow is a codec that has support for all the video formats you could need (no need to download individual codecs or codec packs). It also has many powerful filters including one for subtitles (much better than Zoomplayer's own subtitles feature). And it's open source.

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Ruoste
15-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't think Zoomplayer even has subtitles function (I just always had some external filter for it). http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/faq/faq_entry0004.shtml

So you must have some filter installed if you can already see subtitles. Open a video with subtitles and right click on the player. Then look for "Filter properties" in the context menu. Under there are listed all the filters currently in use for that video. You should be able to configure your subtitles filter from there. You'll either have some filter just for subtitles or are using a video codec with that function built in.

Elexin
15-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for responding.
And no, Harr, I won't switch to VLC :P

I hadn't knowingly installed a filter but you're right, it has DirectVobSub listed as one.
When I went into properties for that like you said I thought I might have finally fixed it, but for some reason when I change the font (size) or scaling, it doesn't actually seem to have any effect.
I'll try out ffdshow though and see how it goes, thanks :)

Flawless
15-04-2008, 01:32 PM
FFDshow is king, theres no reason why you should need anything else ;D

Llort
16-04-2008, 02:47 PM
FFDshow is king, theres no reason why you should need anything else ;D

+ Media Player Classic O.-

Harr
21-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for responding.
And no, Harr, I won't switch to VLC :P

I hadn't knowingly installed a filter but you're right, it has DirectVobSub listed as one.
When I went into properties for that like you said I thought I might have finally fixed it, but for some reason when I change the font (size) or scaling, it doesn't actually seem to have any effect.
I'll try out ffdshow though and see how it goes, thanks :)

Hehe you are answering to deleted post when I didn't notice you already mentioned that VLC on your orinal post. (Seems like admins see the deleted posts still too ;) )