View Full Version : Mutilate

Ailith
02-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I used to be mutilate, for a hella long time I was mutilate! Then I switched to HARP and left daggers behind. Then, when HARP was nerfed, I switched to Shs.

I have great fun with shadowstep, only the other day I was fighting at the AB mine hitting on a shaman whilst a mage was on the mine roof frostbolting me. After killing the shaman I shadowstepped upto the mage and killed him too. I couldn't do that with any other build.

In arena yesterday, I actually pulled off shadowstep->intercept multiple times (not in the same game though :p).

The thing with shadowstep, is that I don't feel like I hit very hard. Unless I'm against some under-geared opponent. I used to be mutilate and BAM! half their health would be gone. Back then I had really bad gear, I had blue daggers, I had blue gear (not even 1 piece season 1). So I think, today my damage as mutilate would be even bigger. I have s1 main hand dagger in my bags, and s2 offhand dagger also.

Could switch the meta in my hood for root resist (movement speed meta isn't needed with fleet footed).

Just wondered what people think of mutilate for arena atm. Major bad points I see:

* No shadowstep
* No cheat-death (though, since 2.4 I've found cheat-death to be a little crappy).
* No heightened senses
* No preparation

More interested from a 2v2 and 3v3 viewpoint. I must admit, however, I feel I do fairly well in 2v2 as shadowstep atm. I played a bit of 3v3 last night (I dont get to play it often) but the druid was so squishy it was hard to make any decisions on how good/poor the dps was as shadowstep in 3's.

Theleb
02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
You'll get mauled by any sub-specced rogues and while root resist/movement speed increase as well as Quick Recovery and cold blood are godly I just don't think its a competitive spec these days. Even with the revision to Imp Backstab you have to work really hard to carry around enough crit to make it worthwhile....but that said you could just try it and see how you get on.

The initial burst can be quite ferocious and Vile Poisons is quite horrible for a healer so with a decent team to support you it "might" work....but Sub has "The" PvP talents after the buff so its difficult to imagine Mutilate bringing anything better to the table.

Ailith
02-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Yea, I agree. Sometimes, with sub, it just feels like I'm not hitting as hard as I should be.

I'll probably stick with sub, it's not like I dislike the build. It's great and all, I just wish I hit harder.

Thanks for input :)

Theleb
02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I guess the bottom line is that we can't have it all. With the added agi/ap from the Sub Tree then you should have a lot of AP on tap (all things considered) so perhaps you're just suffering from the simple fact that you're used to the performance of Sub builds and wish for the halcyon days of the 3.5k mutilate crit.

I think that any crit-predicated build is pretty much S1/early S2 History, rather than a S3/S4 competitive spec. (just don't be like me, and go with daggers because thats all you could find in your bags lol).

Scouserlol
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
This is the same for nearly all classes at the moment, you have to take the survivability spec, for longevity and not burst. I'm sure most mages would like to be fire, most locks destruction etc etc but alot of them just aren't viable without some godly play and team work :)