View Full Version : Second monitor does not display anything... initially.

Celinde
21-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Greetings, I have a slight problem that just appeared suddenly, without any system changes as far as I know.

I run with two monitors on a GeForce 8800, my primary one being a LG 226W(Digital) and the secondary being a Samsung SyncMaster 930BF(Analogue).
This has been all fun and games until about a week ago, when my secondary monitor is black when I turn on the computer or after the computer has been idling for a longer period of time.
I have no clue what the problem might be, I tried to switch them around on the graphics card, but the Samsung one is still inactive while the other one is working.

After a while, the time it takes differs, but we are talking 1-15 minutes, the second monitor starts working.

The only two things that come into my mind are that either:

- there is a problem with the monitor in question, and a new one would solve my problem.

- by some reason the computer just sends out a digital signal for a while, since when the second monitor becomes active, a box displaying that the signal is analogue shows up. This I do not believe however, since I guess that box show up every time a monitor becomes active.

Anyhow, both of the aforementioned are just guesses from my part, if anyone have experienced something like this before, a piece of advice would be very appreciated.

Flawless
21-03-2008, 12:07 PM
can't say I know much about dual screens at all, have you doubled checked the settings haven't changed? from the nvidia control panel?

Celinde
21-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah, of course, as mentioned, it works after a while, just not initially.

Gumdrops
21-03-2008, 12:38 PM
My primary one does that, I just switch it off and on again. No biggy.

Celinde
21-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Doesn't work with mine, I have to sit about (well, my primary screen works) until it decides to come to life.

Is there any way to see if the computer sends out a signal to the screen without another monitor?

Eisenheim
21-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Try to switch the 2 around when the problem is occuring?

Celinde
21-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the same monitor is being black

Celinde
22-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Just to give an update after a few tests:

When the monitor did not work I unplugged it and connected it to another computer. It still did not work. A while later it started working again, on both computers.

When it does not work, it is like a flicker on the screen that appears repeatedly, very subtle, from not displaying anything as when it would be powered off, to lighten up as it would be in standby mode for a fraction of a second.

The monitor's power indicator blinks like it is constantly rebooting, instead of a steady shining light.

Do you think this would be enough to assume that the problem is in the monitor?

Gumdrops
22-03-2008, 05:21 PM
It might be the power cable, have you tried swapping them over?

Celinde
22-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I tried some more additional stuff, and after some tests I decided to go for a new monitor, which works neatly.

Gumdrops
22-03-2008, 11:10 PM
lol, simple solution.

Gwynin
23-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Monitor is proberly dieing, all the sympthoms point towards it...

Its similar to the issues I have with my screen, I get 'wavering' black lines vertically on the screen if its just been turned on. On smaller resolutions the issue gets worse, anything below 1280*1024 results in a almost completely dark screen (try working in bios/raid setup with a total black screen, or installing a new gfx card since windows by default runs in a low resolution untill you change it/install drivers)...

Solution so far ? Run everything in 1600*1200 where there are no issues so far, apart from text being smallish :D
Oh yea, and I still havent gotten that new gfx card installed...

Celinde
23-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I kinda felt the same way, and I had some money left over... well, I was going to buy something entirely different, but I spent them on a monitor instead.

Thank you for the help people.