View Full Version : Screen Freeze

Specker
16-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Basically every now and then my screen keeps on freezing for 0.5-5secs and i've absolutely no clue at all whats causing it. Seems to only have started the last week maybe and i dont think it's my internet connection because my ping stays the same. As well as randomly freezing it happens every time i loot something aswell :( So far i've run anti-virus and spyware removal programs and defragmented my hard drive, but the problem hasn't gone.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix it? Also i have very little knowledge about computers and anything remotely technical, so dumb it down abit please ;) Thanks in advance.

Bunneh
16-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm gonna throw in the old chest nut and suggest over heating. Had similar issue back with me old TnT2, thing would freeze up occasionally until I finally ripped the side panel off and blasted a deskfan in there. Clean your PC inside. I use a pastry brush (I kid you not) it's soft and gets the dust off, just make sure you remove the olive oil first :P.

Another suggestion, have you put in a new graphics card of late and if so did you upgrade your power supply as well? Lack of power might be a cause.

I r a bit numb when it comes to 'puters, but those are the two things that seemed to get me out of the most trouble (that and an engineer who never charged me more than a cup of coffee and 5 quid for check over and repair).

Specker
16-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Cheers ill give the whole cleaning thing a go :) And nope i've never done anything to the inside of my PC other than installed a wireless reciever which was quite a while back now anyway.

Flawless
16-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Does this happen on anything? Or just WoW?

Also careful when cleaning the inside of your PC. Use Compressed air, static electricity can fry your system.

Bunneh
17-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Aye always ground yourself on something metalic, like Metal Mickey, he's great. If you haven't got an aging robot from the 70s use the case which is usually metal. You can buy grounding straps which go around your wrist. I've never used one, always grounded myself on the case and never had any problems.

I'm not a huge fan of compressed air as it seems to only remove the surface dust and not the ground in stuff, hence I use a very soft brush to get the dust off. Been suggested to use a vacuum but must admit a Dyson isn't a good idea; mmm sure there was a capacitor there?!

Flawless
17-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I used a vacumn on my old my, its a pile of shite though. Anyway you can touch the PSU case to ground yourself

Lightsspark
18-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Hmm, I have a similar problem with freezing but its addon related.. I only get it in a raid of 25, whenever someone comes in or out of an instance, or dies or is ressed. Maybe yours is linked to an addon too?

Platypus
18-03-2008, 06:21 PM
As well as randomly freezing it happens every time i loot something aswell .

That happened for me before, are you using some sort of bagmod?

Limbo
19-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I had this and it was a problem with my network card, so check all drivers for GFX card and Network Card/Motherboard are all up to date.

Also there was a problem with certain Motherboards having an in built firewall too, probably is the reasons already quoted but throwing these other things in for you to check also.

Specker
19-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, i must admit i havent cleaned anything on the inside yet out of laziness and lack of time but haven't played WoW either. I do use a bag mod yeh called Onebag, next time im on i'll turn it off before doing all the cleaning and updating of my PC. Also (/noob on) by PSU do you mean power supply unit? Thats all i can make a quess at :P My knowledge really is basic (/noob off)

Flawless
19-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, its the big metal thing with lots of wires coming out of it :p

I have a question going out on the limb here. What kinda PC do you have? I mean is it like 5 years old?

Borwin
21-03-2008, 01:07 PM
New gfx drivers have a functionality to reset themselves when they notice something "bad" happening. In ye olde days the computer would BSOD.

I suspect this is what happens.. try change gfx driver and also check that your card doesnt get too warm.