View Full Version : My computer just died

Eidriaen
14-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I went happily from work with a new cabinet for my stationary computer yesterday, and started taking my computer apart.

"Hey, this cant be that hard" I thought, and an hour later, everything was in pieces.

I carefully inserted every thing into my new cabinet, made room for everything, and it fit perfectly! Only problem was that once I put the power on it, nothing happened....

Weird I thought, and found out I forgot to put the "power on" botton in where it should be, but still nothing.... I almost positive I put all the cables in the right place, and now I removed all the cables, using just the power supply to the motherboard + the "power on" cable, but still nothing happens when I press the botton...

Anyone got a clue what Im missing? Nothing at all happened, when I pressed the botton on, and I didnt connect the power on untill everything was in place.

Im thinking it might be one of these:
- motherboard just screwed up somehow, maybe the "power on" pins are broken?
- the wire from the "power on" botton are broken
- my power supply is broken, but there is the LED light on, so not that likely

Im kinda hoping there's some sort of "Rainman" when it come to computers here on the forum, so can just say: "Oh, did you remember to do this?" and fix it :P

Anyways, here's the manual: http://paulduncan.org/files/a7a266-104.pdf

Now, fix my problem :S

Slicer
14-03-2008, 01:10 AM
One of the most common faults ever. I bet you've connected the front button to the wrong pins on the motherboard.

Edit: failing that, wall socket, PSU switch, ribbon cable right way round (if you're using an IDE ), ram properly seated etc etc.

Past that, check you didn't hammer anything when taking it out the case.

Valoran
14-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Most motherboards these days have a green light to show they have power and stuff's generally plugged in correctly, If the light's are go, I'm willing to bet you've just not plugged the switch in correctly as slicer says (I think everyone's made that mistake atleast once :p).

Lednar
14-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Static electricity? =/
Except from that the other things I thought of have been mentioned atm.

thurlog
14-03-2008, 07:22 AM
disconnect everything from you motherboard (including memory, cpu, video and all cables) and try then.

You should only connect your power to your Mb (location 5 on page 13)
and the power-switch connector (page 43)

it should give some beeps and check the led that Valoran mentioned (it shows on page 18)

Eidriaen
14-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I know I connected the power cables correctly now, but nothing happens still, there's no cards or RAM or anything connected at all now, apart from a fan to test if it moves - still nothing, tried two different cables for the power on botton

Oogie
14-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I had something like this recently, turned out my PSU was busted, see if you can borrow one from a friend and check that.

thurlog
14-03-2008, 02:09 PM
at least we've deducted the number of options to 2..

either your Motherboard or your PSU :)

Eidriaen
14-03-2008, 02:09 PM
But the Led light on the mobo is on?

Oogie
14-03-2008, 02:22 PM
So was the green indicator light on mine, Eid. My mate bought his media centre round, that booted the PC fine.

Power was getting in, just not enough I guess.

Harr
15-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Did you check there isn't any extra "connectors" between the case (cabinet?) and mobo touching causing short circuit. (The ones where you attach the "screws" through mobo into the case to secure the mobo so it doesn't move, I don't know the right term in english for it).

Slicer
17-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Stand offs.

Fleshmissile
19-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Did you check there isn't any extra "connectors" between the case (cabinet?) and mobo touching causing short circuit. (The ones where you attach the "screws" through mobo into the case to secure the mobo so it doesn't move, I don't know the right term in english for it).

that what i did. like a noob when i made myself my first pc i putit together when drunk coming back from a party. i screwed mobo direct onto the case. needless to say it was fucked and didn't work :D

Eidriaen
20-03-2008, 11:08 PM
that what i did. like a noob when i made myself my first pc i putit together when drunk coming back from a party. i screwed mobo direct onto the case. needless to say it was fucked and didn't work :D

Uhmm.... turns out... I did the same :( Sober!