View Full Version : Dumb it down for me, i'm old.

Stunted
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
So i want to buy a new PC at some point this year. I have about £600.00 to spend on one, the main aim of the PC is to play games on.

I am aiming at something that will play Warhammer and Aion with very little problems. I have no technical knowledge of building one myself so that's out of the mix.

I have been looking at Dell, but due to massive outrage on the shout box i'm looking for alternatives. If you doing to start talking RAM/motherboards ect, then explain what the diffrence is as if you talking to a 5 year old as i have no idea other wise.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=DRS42001&l=en&oc=D03X416&rbc=D03X416&s=dhs

Something like that is what i'm after, as i think it will do all that i want it too.

Your thoughts?.

Mischief
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I exclusively buy Dell now. I got so sick of the bullshit that is make-your-own that I started buying Dells and I've never looked back. I order them from the small business section because they still do Windows XP for those.

My WoW box cost me £183 delivered. All I had to add was a £70 graphics card. It runs WoW at 1680x1050 with everything turned up to 11.

You should be able to get a box from them that'll run modern games well for well within your budget.

Flawless
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Buy the parts and get someone to build it for you. You get unforseen consequences with dell should it go wrong.

Mischief
04-03-2008, 11:34 AM
You get unforseen consequences if you buy the parts and get someone to build it for you should it go wrong.
Fixed.

There are unforseen consequences if it goes wrong wherever you get it from.

TBH, computers are so cheap these days, I just replace them if they give me shit. I've got two shit-giving PCs in the garage right now :)

Vegelus
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
And You think that Dell/HP/whatsover is better because? Brand name and other shits?
Really if You have someone who knows how to it will be a lot better to get good parts and build it from scratch.

Oogie
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
There is the constant maintenance if said things go wrong though. Buying a brand from a shop gives you that quiet peace of mind.

Pete, dumbed down: Go shop, buy computer.

Flawless
04-03-2008, 11:58 AM
warrantys from online retailers are full proof.

Not to mention by law in the UK electronic equipment has a 1 year warranty.

Stunted
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
There is the constant maintenance if said things go wrong though. Buying a brand from a shop gives you that quiet peace of mind.

Pete, dumbed down: Go shop, buy computer.

Ok me buy dell as me dumb, thanks :)

Oogie
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
warrantys from online retailers are full proof.

Not to mention by law in the UK electronic equipment has a 1 year warranty.

I wasn't saying against that, just that buying from a shop and having the receipt in your hand, having handed over cash and whatnot, gives you that feel of peace of mind.

Flawless
04-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes, but why not just buy all quality parts from a supplier, get a better/cheaper PC and just get someone to build it for you?

Oogie
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I would happily do it for him, I just cba to go to Cardiff to do it :P

Stunted
04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, but why not just buy all quality parts from a supplier, get a better/cheaper PC and just get someone to build it for you?

mate it's not that simple, i would have no idea what to buy let alone start, then there is water cooling/fan cooling way to much faffing about when i can goto the dell site and buy a cheap ready built thing.

Über
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Build it from the scratch.

And if you don't know enough about the parts (like me for example), just get someone with you who does.

Flawless
04-03-2008, 05:46 PM
What uber said, your bound to know someone close who can do it. Or, pay some chump in a PC shop to do it. You'll sitll be saving money/getting a better system.

miganto
09-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Out of everyone that has replied, none have answered his questions or helped him. :(

He wants to know what kind of thing to aim for in his budget. If you think he should find a friend to build it for him, at least help him out with a few specs that might help him :(

I have near no idea what is the best thing to go for nowadays, 3 years ago, i could've helped you a lot, but things move on fast, and i'm outdated, so i'll let one of these guys help you out :)

TroldePus
09-03-2008, 07:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_PC a pretty nice and short guide. Not too specific though.

The Dell PC you linked is pretty much the same as the one me and a friend built together, but you have to get a better graphics card. Sure it will run Wow on high setting and other new games on lower settings, but you will kick youself in the ass for not getting a better one when you are trying out newer Direct X 10 games.

A graphics card guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_card

ANd a list of Nvidia's cards: http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html

I would recommend 8800GTS as minimum if you can afford it. If you cant I guess the 8600GTS will have to do :)

Xinthus
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I wasn't saying against that, just that buying from a shop and having the receipt in your hand, having handed over cash and whatnot, gives you that feel of peace of mind.

so buying seperate parts from a reputable dealer like CCLonline, Ebuyer.com, Overclockers.co.uk etc, wont give you any reciept? Piece of mind? Warrenty.

All parts bought are given a 12 month warrenty and i have to agree with the other postings that buying a custom built pc is cheaper than having a ready built product, Take Dell. If something goes wrong, he's gotta make a phone call, they wanna try and sort it out over the phone, the guy already admits he's not comp tech knoweledgable so this is gonna take the guy on the phone a while to explain to him, thus all giving increased phone bills unless ofc its free phone, and either if it isnt its still time consuming.,. then if it cant be fixed over the phone by prompts a technition needs to come out which will have to be booked for date/time etc.. then we find the technition cant fix it so they have to send it back to base (Dell) to get the top dog onto it to replace whatever the hell it is that went wrong, to finnally get it back to the customer.

Buying a custom built product via a freinds intervention is usually cheaper, better, and faster if things go wrong for him to put it right and to diagnose what componant went down and the need for replacement, especially if its a local store/warehouse outlet were the parts were bought.

JUST A THOUGHT:-

Yes the above mentioned problematic is not to have a dig at Dell computers, this scenario could be any company's ready made sceane, and yes it is a worst case scenario but it could happen, there explained is a lot of red tape that could possibly be bypassed a hell of alot if you get the componants (individual parts) and have a knowledgeable freind fit it together.

Good luck on your descision

Flawless
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
8800GT Trolde, 8600's are fucking shocking.

Oogie
10-03-2008, 02:08 PM
so buying seperate parts from a reputable dealer like CCLonline, Ebuyer.com, Overclockers.co.uk etc, wont give you any reciept? Piece of mind? Warrenty.

All parts bought are given a 12 month warrenty and i have to agree with the other postings that buying a custom built pc is cheaper than having a ready built product, Take Dell. If something goes wrong, he's gotta make a phone call, they wanna try and sort it out over the phone, the guy already admits he's not comp tech knoweledgable so this is gonna take the guy on the phone a while to explain to him, thus all giving increased phone bills unless ofc its free phone, and either if it isnt its still time consuming.,. then if it cant be fixed over the phone by prompts a technition needs to come out which will have to be booked for date/time etc.. then we find the technition cant fix it so they have to send it back to base (Dell) to get the top dog onto it to replace whatever the hell it is that went wrong, to finnally get it back to the customer.

Buying a custom built product via a freinds intervention is usually cheaper, better, and faster if things go wrong for him to put it right and to diagnose what componant went down and the need for replacement, especially if its a local store/warehouse outlet were the parts were bought.

JUST A THOUGHT:-

Yes the above mentioned problematic is not to have a dig at Dell computers, this scenario could be any company's ready made sceane, and yes it is a worst case scenario but it could happen, there explained is a lot of red tape that could possibly be bypassed a hell of alot if you get the componants (individual parts) and have a knowledgeable freind fit it together.

Good luck on your descision

Oh dear, I wasn't saying that, I have built my own PC from parts bought from eBuyer.

What I mean is that, there is a certain peace of mind when you have gone in, spoken to someone, paid your cash over a counter, got your items there and then be able to take them with you right away. Rather than an automated sequence.

Damn.

Flawless
10-03-2008, 02:09 PM
since when do dell have shops? @.~

Oogie
10-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Fuck a duck, im not talking about Dell here. Im talking about Parts. Random parts.

Flawless
10-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Oic, We don't have shops that sell (decent) parts :(

Oogie
10-03-2008, 03:16 PM
We had an ok shop in Swindon, but it got shut down so many times for selling counterfeit XP discs :D

Llort
11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
8800GT Trolde, 8600's are fucking shocking.

I been waiting more then 2months now for my EVGA 8800GT SSC :-( Stupid backorders :-(

Anyway, as stated a few times above. Try to assemble your own PC. It is cheaper and easier to manage when something breaks. You just buy a new part! hey ;-) that is simple isn't it?

Don't even try to get support with a ready-bought PC....

You will get these dudes on the line that, whenever you need to have the command prompt are telling you this:
Are you on a windows XP computer? [yes,no] (no)
Do you use vista? yes...
Okee, now we are going to open the command prompt. Locate the circle, with the windo....
[I already have it open]
ws logo.
Meh.... I hate support -_-'

Flawless
12-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Plenty of stock from the UK Llort, tried ordering one from UK shops?

Scouserlol
17-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Steal one... simple.