View Full Version : sony vaio screen problems

Cheiftan
24-02-2008, 09:30 PM
righty.

i am using a sony vaio pcg-6s4m running windows xp sp2, although the computer actually came with vista. mostly (i say mostly, but for the past 10 start ups its been fucked) it's fine.

basically, when i start it up, everythings cool, get to the login screen, its fine. then enter the password, windows loads up, mcaffee loading screen pops up, then bang - screen goes incredibly dark. not completely black, as i can see the msn window on the right hand side.

the backlight clearly has no problem with it, as the login screen and the rest is fine until windows loads. also, it should be noted, windows loads completely fine and with no issues whatsoever if i choose to load it in "stamina" mode (as opposed to "speed" - anyone familiar with vaio's willknow what this is, if you aren't you can work it out).

anyway, that's the problem, and it's pissing me off. any suggestions?

Ammanna
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
At a guess you have one of those Sony power management apps running in the system tray that has somehow been set to turn the screen down to minimum brightness for both the mains power and battery power schemes?

Also, stamina +speed mode? That's not a really bad translation for Normal and Safe mode is it? Or is that come kind of strange name for a power management profile in the Sony software?

Limbo
03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Try starting it in VGA mode.

Press F8 as Windows starts and then choose Enable VGA Mode option.

gafegan
15-04-2008, 10:14 AM
We have purchased a batch of this model of Vaio and i have had the same problem with two of them. I have messed around with the Power Options but all to no avail.

The darkest setting in the Power Options (9 i think) is actually lighter than the problem i am having so it can't be that.

Like you it is doing my head in, so any help with be much appreciated.

G.

Ammanna
15-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Then the inverter that powers the backlight is failing after X ammount of time on every boot. it will likley need to be serviced.

Alverion
15-04-2008, 11:24 PM
What Ammanna said.

You can buy Vaio inverters for the backlight, but there are about a dozen different types depending on the motherboard you have. Best to take it to a local Sony store or call up for a repair quote. They are pretty easy to replace, but once again best to leave it to a professional.