View Full Version : Potential changes to Mages on PTR

Nimbus
20-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Updated patchnotes:

- Arcane Fortitude now increases your armor by an amount equal to 100% of your Intellect, up from 50%.
- Blink, Slow, and Spellsteal have all had their mana cost reduced.
- Icy Veins no longer stacks with Bloodlust/Heroism.
- Improved FireWard has become Molten Shields.
- New Talent: Molten Shields will cause your Fire Ward to have a 10/20% chance to reflect Fire spells while active. In addition, your Molten Armor has a 50/100% chance to affect ranged and spell attacks.

Will be interesting to see how 0/17/44 does in 2v2 arenas or maybe some deeper fire or elemental spec. Slight nerf of IV but if you have time to take advantage of reduced cast time you're probably winning anyway...

Warlee
20-02-2008, 04:27 PM
* Arcane Explosion: The damage cap for area of effect damage on this spell has been increased by approximately 50%.
* Arcane Fortitude now increases your armor by an amount equal to 100% of your Intellect, up from 50%.
* Blink, Slow, and Spellsteal have all had their mana cost reduced.
* Using low ranks of Fire Ward and Frost Ward spell will now be penalized the same way healing spells are penalized.
* Frostbite: When a frost spell is reflected back at a Mage, it is now possible for the Mage to suffer from the Frostbite effect.
* Ice Barrier: Using low ranks of this spell will now be penalized the same way healing spells are penalized.
* Icy Veins no longer stacks with Bloodlust/Heroism.
* Improved FireWard has become Molten Shields.
* New Talent: Molten Shields will cause your Fire Ward to have a 10/20% chance to reflect Fire spells while active. In addition, your Molten Armor has a 50/100% chance to affect ranged and spell attacks.
* Permafrost: This talent will now correctly increase the movement slowing effect of frost Armor instead of the attack speed slow.
* Spellsteal will no longer overwrite a longer duration buff.

And yes, Molten Shields will be interesting.
Would go myself http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZVgR00bZVVGfkbxoiot
I don't get how it would work thought. This talent adds Molten Armor effect vs ranged units, but ALWAYS or only when Fire Ward is up?

Nimbus
21-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm guessing it is always up, same as the effect of improved frost ward always affects ice armor. Together with impact it would get you some breathing room when hounded by pets, rogues, warriors, hunters and so on in arena. Wonder how it deals with dots. Initial cast or every tick? Also wondering what impact stuns shares DR with, anyone know?

Would probably try for arena something like:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZVMGzbbZVVGIobxoiqz

Ailith
21-02-2008, 12:12 PM
God i would love it if impact could proc on ranged\spell cast.

Initial cast or every tick?
I'd guess initial cast, as every tick would be fairly imba. But I don't know :)

Also wondering what impact stuns shares DR with
Afaik it shares diminishing returns with 'stuns', ie. cheapshot, intercept and HOJ (can't remember any more in that group). Rogues kidney shot is on a separate DR.

Would probably try for arena something like:
Looks decents :) I would spec something similar, though I would take 2 from AW and 1 from winters chill and put them in imp CoC. Personal preference though :)

Gwynin
21-02-2008, 12:31 PM
This question might be relevant for all arena playing mana users, but what do you think of the whole 'have to drink 6secs' to actually get some mana out of it ?

Đightrain
21-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I always thought the point of it was that when the shield got it, it was supposed to be hot enough that it would hurt the person hitting it... How would this affect ranged ppl =/ (Yes i'm fully aware it's not real)

Nimbus
21-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd guess initial cast, as every tick would be fairly imba. But I don't know :)

People on test are saying on EJ it doesn't work on dots... guess it's expected ;)

Gaxy
21-02-2008, 05:17 PM
would be kinda overpowered if it 'procced' on every tick, yes? :P

Gaxy
21-02-2008, 05:21 PM
This question might be relevant for all arena playing mana users, but what do you think of the whole 'have to drink 6secs' to actually get some mana out of it ?

for some absurd reason I actually like that change, it gives ppl a chance to interrupt the drinking if they were cc'd when someone ran away for drinking :)

Warlee
21-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, its nice build for arena Nimbus, by the way - ever thought of at least one point in Improved Blizzard? I'd recommend it myself. Pretty decent for arena also.
The thing that I don't like is : Fire Ward is too far in talents comparing for example to Frost Ward.

▄ber
21-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd say putting one point there would be more than recommended.

Warlee
23-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey,
there are some new changes to mage in 2.4
http://vurtne.5forum.net/general-chat-f1/new-mage-buffs-in-24-t724.htm