View Full Version : boosting legal?

isharon
19-02-2008, 01:07 AM
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=2843527011&sid=1

Kenny
19-02-2008, 04:38 AM
I figured it was quite obvious that the GM's weren't gonna do anything against something like that..

Also, that guy is annoyingly retarded.

Mischief
19-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Finally, some clarity from Blizz. Maybe now people will stop bleating about "cheaters".

Let he who has never been boosted through Wailing Caverns cast the first stone.

Gumdrops
19-02-2008, 08:45 AM
This is mafia.

Stim
19-02-2008, 09:00 AM
This is madness.

Gwynin
19-02-2008, 09:45 AM
clearly they deserve it

Đightrain
19-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Finally, some clarity from Blizz. Maybe now people will stop bleating about "cheaters".

Just cause they say it's not against the policy doesn't mean it's not exploiting the system and not cheating other players out of the rank at the end of the season.

sageclaire
19-02-2008, 10:00 AM
in the end, the result justifies the mean ... how depressing to the normal pvpers.

Senex
19-02-2008, 10:04 AM
GMs don't know shit, tbh. If it's not Blue, it's not relevant.

TroldePus
19-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Well in some countries beating women is legal too - doesnt make it right or any less repulsive !

....... did I just compare beating women to cheating in Arenas?

Bleetman
19-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Being run through Wailing Caverns doesn't diminish the rewards of other people for your own gain. Boosting your arena team does.

Mischief
19-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Just cause they say it's not against the policy doesn't mean it's not exploiting the system and not cheating other players out of the rank at the end of the season.
Being run through Wailing Caverns doesn't diminish the rewards of other people for your own gain. Boosting your arena team does.
So none of the people whose names are currently languishing on our PVP Best of the Best lists ever sat in the flag room and let the opposition run three quick flags? None of them ever slacked off to let someone else get rank 1? None of them ever AFKed to get easier opponents?

Turiel
19-02-2008, 01:46 PM
So none of the people whose names are currently languishing on our PVP Best of the Best lists ever sat in the flag room and let the opposition run three quick flags? None of them ever AFKed to get easier opponents?

Those that did who are on the "Best Of the Best", most of us consider to be cheaters. You can still be amazing at PVP and be a cheater also. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

None of them ever slacked off to let someone else get rank 1?

The result of common sense routing around a broken system. Had, for example, Tsarina not slacked off, no other person would have gained Rank 14. Ever.

Now my comment on this whole thing, as someone else said - GMs don't always know much (the playerbase as a whole entity does in fact know more) - and I'd take the banning of arena teams that have done it as much more official than a GM saying its ok. Also, its very possible that the GM could have misunderstood what was said because quite frankly the poster seems to not be able to speak English.

Rukia
19-02-2008, 01:48 PM
That GM is a such a fucking tosser I can't believe it.

And, well, this is bullshit. It's still cheating as far as I'm concerned.

Ailith
19-02-2008, 01:52 PM
zomg, you levelled rukia to 62 D:

Rukia
19-02-2008, 01:55 PM
65, although it doesn't show on here. How impressive is that!

Uh. On topic...that GM is a tosser.

Alverion
19-02-2008, 04:17 PM
The result of common sense routing around a broken system. Had, for example, Tsarina not slacked off, no other person would have gained Rank 14. Ever.

It would've happened eventually, he's getting old, tired and kinda senile these days.

Bleetman
19-02-2008, 05:38 PM
So none of the people whose names are currently languishing on our PVP Best of the Best lists ever sat in the flag room and let the opposition run three quick flags? None of them ever slacked off to let someone else get rank 1? None of them ever AFKed to get easier opponents?
Perhaps, but I'm willing to bet none of them have ever rolled multiple alts of the opposing faction and repeatedly chain killed them for free honour.

Kathra
19-02-2008, 06:31 PM

I am actually. Wordless.

How, can you even begin to compare running through WC for some levelling loot and easy XP that in no way affects anybody, to arena cheating.

I swear some people are just playing devils advocate and trying to fuel the drama flames by adding in random pro-cheating arguments, because it hurts my brain to know that some people will continue to justify this behaviour.

Warlee
19-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I swear some people are just playing devils advocate and trying to fuel the drama flames by adding in random pro-cheating arguments, because it hurts my brain to know that some people will continue to justify this behaviour.

This and...

...Mischief. Would you compare killing ant to killing human? No?

So why do you do this?

Mischief
20-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I didn't justify anything. I just commented that maybe now people will stop bleating. But of course they won't because this is World of Whinecraft.

Whining does more harm to this game than almost anything else (with the possible exception of Blizzard's policy of epics for no effort). It's certainly more corrosive than boosting.

In the grand scheme of things, boosting affects almost no one.

Turiel
20-02-2008, 10:41 AM
In the grand scheme of things, nothing affects anyone. We all die anyway.

But if you take a slightly more pragmatic view, boosting literally effects every other arena team in that bracket, in that battlegroup.

Gaxy
20-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I think a lot of people still think about it as cheating tbh.
Anyway, to know it's not cheating tho :)

Rey
20-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Abuse of Game Mechanics

The distinction between exploiting bugs and abusing game mechanics is a fine one. While bug exploitation involves the abuse of what is essentially a programming mistake, the abuse of game mechanics is the act of taking advantage of the limitations of the World of Warcraft game systems. Since the line between the sanctioned use and the abuse of game mechanics is sometimes unclear, we prefer to educate players before taking any action against the account being used.

This category includes using/distributing game mechanics in a manner unintended by their design that:

* Damages another character, their gameplay, the service itself and/or its economy

If a player is found to have abused/distributed such game mechanics, he/she may:

* Be given a verbal warning
* Be temporary or permanently suspended from the game in very specific cases

So winning 66 games at 4 in the morning to a team that agreed on losing on purpose is not damaging the service/economy (which would be the arena system). And in the end getting a reward over those who didnt cheat (yes is cheating).
Sorry to whoever believes in that but you are just as clueless as the gm in that pics (and many others).
Lots of teams have been deleted cos of this.

Bleetman
20-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I think a lot of people still think about it as cheating tbh.
Anyway, to know it's not cheating tho :)
I would have thought the continual punishment flung at teams that do this would be stronger evidence that it is than a GM claiming it isn't.

Warlee
20-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Lots of teams have been deleted cos of this.
indeed

Margelatu
21-02-2008, 12:28 PM
PATCH 2.4

"Matchmaking: If a queued player has a personal rating higher than their team rating, the matchmaking system will now use the highest personal rating of a queued member of that team for matchmaking purposes, instead of the team rating."

This change already show they want to do something against arena boosts.
Hope more changes will come.

Gaxy
21-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I actually like that change, tho boosting 3v3 is still possible. Just make a new team with every guy you're boosting. Or am I wrong about that? Oo

Turiel
21-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I actually like that change, tho boosting 3v3 is still possible. Just make a new team with every guy you're boosting. Or am I wrong about that? Oo

You keep your personal rating if you leave a team.

So if high-rated-person leaves a team and starts a new one with 2 new players, the queue system will still take his high personal rating into account when matchmaking.

Đightrain
21-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Fkn finally

Gaxy
21-02-2008, 05:51 PM
WOOT! Da boosting is over then! ... I think

Senex
13-03-2008, 02:12 PM
WTB a boost to 1850 rating for my alt, tbh.

Aevorn
13-03-2008, 04:46 PM

In much the same sense it hurts my brain, when they advocate other, equally stupid things IRL.

Chonar
13-03-2008, 05:41 PM
In much the same sense it hurts my brain, when they advocate other, equally stupid things IRL.

Like mexicans.