View Full Version : Anything worth waiting for on the horizon?

Goonerr
11-02-2008, 03:32 PM
ive been imming and amming to buy a new top spec pc for a while now but keep holding off for newer hardware... im especially waiting for the geforce 9 series and its a shame AMD has delayed the bulldozer architecture which would use 16 cores because i would have splashed out just for the speed of it... plus it would help hugely with all the graphics and rendering work i do...

but the main point of this thread is.... is there any hardware which is soon to be released?? maybe anymore info on the geforce 9 series and anything else which should delay me buying parts.

Flawless
11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Not really, 9 series will be very expensive when it first hits the shelves, other than that No. Nothing worth waiting for.

Talsin
13-02-2008, 08:46 AM
i would wait for a good new mobo with a 790 chipset which is set for the Penryn SLI systems. (even the new Tri-SLI but we can only get that working with some heavy custom beta's atm) and fits in ddr3 mem. if you want to update to 9xxx cards you might aswell wait for those as they really look like a leap up from any 8xxx card.

Kinshara
13-02-2008, 09:50 AM
The 16 core bulldozer was intended to be a server chip, not a desktop chip; you wouldn't have seen any appreciable performance increase on today's games. Since the design was fairly modular, they would likely introduce 2-4 core chips for desktop machines and 8-16 core chips for servers. I doubt that IPC was increased as much as they claim, but that's rather irrelevant at this point.

AMD will be making "fusion" chips with 1 or more phenom cores and a gpu on a single die, but the integrated gpus won't be as powerful as a separate gpu to start with, so these will likely be for laptops and corporate desktops.

Nehalem is intel's next microarchitecture, and should be shipping in the second half of the year; it will be pretty damn fast. I'm mostly interested in it for virtualization related stuff(when combined with a new chipset), but it will easily take the top spot for gaming cpus for quite some time.

Goonerr
14-02-2008, 07:18 PM
mmm interesting, thanks