View Full Version : Capping systems

Senex
03-02-2008, 12:55 PM
With the possible exception of WSG, battlegrounds are all about territorial control. In terms of game mechanics, this is represented by 'capping' certain nodes on the map.

Initially, the only capping mechanic in the game was the one present in Arathi Basin and Alterac Vallery. Players captured nodes by clicking on a flag, channeling for several seconds, then defending the flag until the capturing process was complete.

TBC introduced a new system of capping that can be seen in Eye of the Storm (as well as Hellfire fortifications, Zangarmarsh central GY and the Terrokar spirit towers). Just bring enough non-stealthed flagged people into the immediate vicinity of the node, and watch the control gauge swing in your favor.

Both systems have their merits and flaws. Which one do you prefer?

Gumdrops
03-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I prefer the EotS ones (which were also in EPL previous to TBC :P) simply because 'fight at flags noobs' doesn't have to be yelled in /bg.

TÝfa
03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
i prefer the Eots system too, would be nice if they introduced a more fluid system tho that actually measured with a sort of "front line" concentrated around the main bulk off the attacking forces, could introduce some interesting tactics too matches, but might be very hard to impliment and control, would be awsome tho!

Tsarina
03-02-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't like the EotS system one bit because it favours nubs and zergs.

Harr
03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
What Tsarina said

Ajial
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Being a nub i prefer the new one (not that i pvp a whole lot and i play on a pvp server :P)

Corruption
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
The old one allows you to be a cheeky git and cap the node during a war, which I find brilliant ('til its done to me, then its annoying). So I voted the old one!

Azelton
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh the golden days of ab node stealing.
Sap one, blind one, tag the node and stealth <3

Faylin
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Oh the golden days of ab node stealing.
Sap one, blind one, tag the node and stealth <3

the reason for me voting new one :)

Muh
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe a combination?
The more players of the enemy around the shorter the time to cast?

Turiel
03-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I prefer the old one, ninja capping ftw.

Stim
04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Lolwut? With old system you weren't capping anything with paladin around.

Tyrannis
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Topical comic of the day

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20080204.jpg

Sloth
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
haha :-)

Đightrain
04-02-2008, 01:26 PM
ctrl alt del ftw <3 also old system, ninja capping rewlz, that and alli suck at EoTS so anything related to that also sucks.

Scouserlol
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
With the new capping system in AV, taking Aid Station when they have a handful of defenders would be a breeze. There's always that one bastard mage AoEing stopping me from capping!

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing?

vattghern
04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I voted in favor of old system, however I got used to the one in EotS and thus I find it suitable there. Random thought - if they plan to use the new one in WSG it's going to be the worst decision ever made in Battlegrounds.

Ailith
04-02-2008, 04:39 PM
yea, I prefer the old one too. Again, a fan of ninja capping :D

It's great fun running up the enemy tunnel when there's about 5 of them defending the WSG flag. Enabling invisibility to time it so it activates as I reach their slope, picking up the flag and blinking out the room before they even know whats happened.

It works okay in EOTS but the old system just allows for more thoughtful game-play.

Mischief
04-02-2008, 05:13 PM
yea, I prefer the old one too. Again, a fan of ninja capping :D

It's great fun running up the enemy tunnel when there's about 5 of them defending the WSG flag. Enabling invisibility to time it so it activates as I reach their slope, picking up the flag and blinking out the room before they even know whats happened.
Either you've missed the point of this thread or I have.

Đightrain
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
You have :P

Alorafa
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Mmm? I thought the discussion was AB style vs EotS style? Where did WSG come into play?

Ailith
07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
It was an example of ninja capping, I could make a similar argument for AV and AB. but I prefer the wsg example. Otherwise it's more like "i stealth to flag and wait for horde to leave, lolcap". :)

Actually, it wasn't even an example of capping. Simply, you can do things the other team are not expecting to accomplish a goal. The "new way" means you just stand around for a few minutes and there's less thought involved, and thought can do less to help you accomplish the task. Anyway, old style capping is my preference! :)

YuanTi
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Voted old one..i really don't like the eots zergs,it just feels so much more meaningful to actually defend something instead of just trying to have more persons then the other team..with the old system 1 person can actually hold a node until the reinforcements come.
Besides,in eots pugs most of the allies keep fighting JUST out of reach of the capping timer area (below the tower instead of up on the hill:)