View Full Version : harddisk/motherboard help

Llort
27-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Aight, this will be a long shot but I need(want) help. :(

Since a very long time I am facing random start up problems. I found that my GPU was failing so I am using a temporary LOLATI card, waiting for my E-VGA GF8800GT SSC to arrive.

Anyway, I am still facing some problems, randomly, mostly at startup.
The most common is this:
-in windows, either:
- my Maxtor 500GB ain't showing up at all.
- my other partitions are showing, but they 'do not respond' (see screenshot)
- (happend recently, only once though) while doing POST checks, after finishing the memory part, it got stuck checking my harddrives, after like, 20-30seconds some random text appeared with information about clusters and sizes and other variables. after a while, windows booted 'normally' (see point 1 from the windows problems)

Now I am unsure weather this is a problem relating to my motherboard (broken chipset?), BIOS out of date? (I doubt it, I flashed it a few times already but nothing helped), or are like, my harddisks dying?

screenshot of *my computer* (http://tests.purmerforum.nl/disks.png)
Note:
E = maxtor 500GB
All other drives are partitions of a hitachi (don't ask for size I simply can't check atm, afaik it is 250gb)

Gumdrops
27-01-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.ShadowsongEurope.com/forum/imagehosting/18528479c7b34d6ea6.png (http://www.ShadowsongEurope.com/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=654)

Vegelus
27-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Do some SMART diagnostics (active smart for example).

Flawless
27-01-2008, 07:42 PM
try connecting your S-ATA connector to a different port, I believe this can fix it...

thurlog
27-01-2008, 07:43 PM
go to maxtor.com and get some diagnostic tool
burn cd with tool, boot from cd and run a check

or resocket your sata cables :p

Ammanna
27-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Either, your HDD has a fault of an intermittent nature, your mobo's sata controler/ports have a fault, or your PC is not getting enough power at boot. (faulty PSU or not big enough one) Would be my 3 top guesses.

I would run a HDD check. Maxtor is currently owned by Seagate, and I think the seatools dagnostic tool is the one for Maxtor HDDs at the moment that will diagnose it.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

You can also see if the problem is with a Sata port on the mobo by swapping it into another free SATA connector and see if the problems go away.

As for the power possibility, you can only test by removing unused things like other HDDs, optical drives, 56k modems, non powered USB devices (USB devices that dont havea seperate power connection and only take power from the PC) etc, perhaps your temp ATI card uses more juice? I'd say the power problem is the least likley of the 3.

Llort
28-01-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.ShadowsongEurope.com/forum/imagehosting/18528479c7b34d6ea6.png (http://www.ShadowsongEurope.com/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=654)

Girlfriend ;-)

try connecting your S-ATA connector to a different port, I believe this can fix it...
I tried all 6ports of my chipsets controller, but they all 'sometimes' give problems. I now stuck my maxtor in my on-board jmicron sata controller.

Either, your HDD has a fault of an intermittent nature, your mobo's sata controler/ports have a fault, or your PC is not getting enough power at boot. (faulty PSU or not big enough one) Would be my 3 top guesses.

It is not my PSU either, it is rated for 550watts but I am only using (stressed) 225watt.

I will try the tool you described, thanks :-)

Harr
28-01-2008, 05:04 PM
On some motherboards "softreset" doesn't work after flashing the BIOS. You need to take out the battery backup off for atleast 10-20secs for it to reset correctly (while power cord is unplugged ofcourse).

What sends off alarm in my head is the name Maxtor ;)
(Wouldn't trust Seagate anymore either, one Seagate drive broke after 2-3 months I bought it. In the work I used to be had a few faulty Seagate from start).

Is your Hitachi working ok when you unplug that Maxtor completely?

Llort
29-01-2008, 08:42 AM
On some motherboards "softreset" doesn't work after flashing the BIOS. You need to take out the battery backup off for atleast 10-20secs for it to reset correctly (while power cord is unplugged ofcourse).

What sends off alarm in my head is the name Maxtor ;)
(Wouldn't trust Seagate anymore either, one Seagate drive broke after 2-3 months I bought it. In the work I used to be had a few faulty Seagate from start).

Is your Hitachi working ok when you unplug that Maxtor completely?

They are both working ok. But every once in a while (say, 1-2times a month) either one of them is having 'weird problems'. (It sometimes also can't find the hitachi resulting in telling me there is no boot device)

What mostly helps is sticking the drives in other sata ports. But that is just a workaround to get things working again, it is not 'the magic fix' :(

Harr
29-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Say.. you wouldn't happend to have any StarForce copy protected games installed ;)

On serious note.. don't tell me you have Antec PSU... there have been lot of problems with those.

Hmm... is that Vista I see in your screenshot? Maybe its reverting to older system config after having hardware crash and somehow lose your hard disk(s) when it does that.

Are you using UPS? (Uninterrupted Power Source). (Might help getting one if don't have one if the electricity "feed" is very unstable where you live).

Llort
29-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Say.. you wouldn't happend to have any StarForce copy protected games installed ;)
Lol, afaik, no

On serious note.. don't tell me you have Antec PSU... there have been lot of problems with those.
Nopes, I have an Enermax

Hmm... is that Vista I see in your screenshot? Maybe its reverting to older system config after having hardware crash and somehow lose your hard disk(s) when it does that.
Nopes, because it occurs in the BIOS too (that they aren't showing up that is)

Are you using UPS? (Uninterrupted Power Source). (Might help getting one if don't have one if the electricity "feed" is very unstable where you live).
Nopes, not needed don't have an unstable power line here. :-)

Flawless
29-01-2008, 04:56 PM
ah, that helps. Look bac k later

What is your PC specs? More details the better, specifically the mobo

Harr
29-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Does it specifically need to be switched to another SATA port or does the same one do after replugging. So the cable doesn't get loose from vibrations etc. (Shouldn't affect both drives thought if that was the case).

Have you checked the temperatures in the HDD's so don't get too hot? Motherboard overheating? Running out of ideas here :P

I believe there has been BIOS update for nFORCE chipset problems with SATA drives and you said you have updated your BIOS so it shouldn't be that... (and don't even know if you got nFORCE chipset but sounds alot like it)

Flawless
29-01-2008, 07:35 PM
it might be his Mobo doesn't support large HDD's, but it could be a whole heap of shit thus spec's will help

Llort
29-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Does it specifically need to be switched to another SATA port or does the same one do after replugging. So the cable doesn't get loose from vibrations etc. (Shouldn't affect both drives thought if that was the case).
I have not actually tried this, will look into it once things go wrong again. Good Tip :-)

Have you checked the temperatures in the HDD's so don't get too hot? Motherboard overheating? Running out of ideas here :P
Motherbord is not overheating, however, my chipset does is reaching 95-100degrees, I have read on some forums this is 'quite normal' which I doubt but, I trust them as everything else is working fine.

HDD's are fine, 'bout 30degrees

I believe there has been BIOS update for nFORCE chipset problems with SATA drives and you said you have updated your BIOS so it shouldn't be that... (and don't even know if you got nFORCE chipset but sounds alot like it)

Yes, nForce 570 SLI. I last updated the BIOS about 1month back, I do not know if there is a new BIOS version.

What is your PC specs? More details the better, specifically the mobo

it might be his Mobo doesn't support large HDD's, but it could be a whole heap of shit thus spec's will help

My MoBo does support large disks :-)

Info from CPUZ (I only took the interesting parts :P)

CPU:
Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 2
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Codename Windsor
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Package Socket AM2 (940)

Chipset:
Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI rev. A1
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI rev. A2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Memory Frequency 401.9 MHz (CPU/5)
CAS# 5.0
RAS# to CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 23
Command Rate 2T

Memory:
DIMM #1

Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number CM2X512A-6400

DIMM #2

General
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Part number CM2X512A-6400

DIMM #3

Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
Size 1024 MBytes
Part number F2-6400CL4-1GBHK

DIMM #4

Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
Size 1024 MBytes
Part number F2-6400CL4-1GBHK

Mainboard:
Mainboard Model M2N-SLI DELUXE (0x3C9 - 0x8014E67A)

Sensors:
ITE IT87 hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 0 1.25 Volts [0x4E] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage sensor 1 3.20 Volts [0xC8] (VIN1)
Voltage sensor 3 4.76 Volts [0xB1] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 11.58 Volts [0xB5] (+12V)
Voltage sensor 7 4.73 Volts [0xB0] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage sensor 8 2.98 Volts [0xBA] (VBAT)
Temperature sensor 0 33C (91F) [0x21] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 1 28C (82F) [0x1C] (TMPIN1)
Temperature sensor 2 4C (39F) [0x4] (TMPIN2)
Fan sensor 0 3245 RPM [0xD0] (FANIN0)
Fan sensor 1 1573 RPM [0x1AD] (FANIN1)
Fan sensor 2 900 RPM [0x2EE] (FANIN2)

(note, them voltages are not correct I checked them with a multimeter and they are way more closer to the actual 'have to be' values)

Analog Device ADT7475 hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 1 3.37 Volts [0x310] (+3.3V)
Temperature sensor 1 30C (85F) [0x5E] (Local)
Fan sensor 0 1345 RPM [0x7D7] (FANIN0)
Fan sensor 2 683 RPM [0xF74] (FANIN2)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 35C (94F) [0x54] (core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 n.a. [0xFFFFFFFF] (core #1)

BIOS:

DMI BIOS
--------
vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
version ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1302
date 10/29/2007

PSU:
PSU (http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/product_supply.asp)
LIBERTY DXX 500 SLI

Flawless
29-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Llort, make and Model of HDD?

Harr
29-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I really recommend using latest nForce drivers from nVIDIA... should fix that SATA problem. Works for XP anyway, no idea about Vista. Hmm.. or was it hotfix.... that nForce 15.01 isn't very new.

Llort
30-01-2008, 08:07 AM
I really recommend using latest nForce drivers from nVIDIA... should fix that SATA problem. Works for XP anyway, no idea about Vista. Hmm.. or was it hotfix.... that nForce 15.01 isn't very new.

15.01 is the latest version

Llort, make and Model of HDD?
HDS72252 5VLSA80 SCSI Disk Device
SATA Maxtor 6 SCSI Disk Device

It has always said SCSI I don't know why. >_<

Flawless
30-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Speaking to a computer expert about this, try a different SATA HDD in the drive, he says its more than likely the drive. He's experienced a few problems with them.

thurlog
01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
which is why you have to run the diagnostic check (to confirm or deny it).
if the drive is faulty it gives an errorcode
you fill in a replacement request with that errorcode on the maxtor website
you send in your drive
you receive a new one

i've done that 5 times in the last 2 years now (i started with a 160Gb disk, and gradually upgrade to a 400 Gb one because they can't provide 'old' models)