View Full Version : Best Internet Security Suite, Vote.

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I would like to know everybodys opinion on which is the best security suite availible through past expeirence.

Cheiftan
25-01-2008, 12:47 PM
not McAffee that's for sure. i had to format an entire laptop when i bought it because i couldn't get rid of the fucker.

Oogie
25-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I voted AVG purely because after uninstalling Norton, I was able to not only login a lot quicker, but general PC performance was better. Just for those that might comment, no, I didn't have any background scans running or anything like that :)

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 01:24 PM
i see 3 people have voted Norton, But can i ask those people why?
Through reading computer forums and past use of norton, it slows down a computer and imo isnt the best suite, Also from reading several computer forums, many people sugest against using it, But im willing to change my view if people can tell me if norton HAS improved?

Flawless
25-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Norton sucks, for exactly the reasons you said. Its still bloated and makes your system run slower.

http://www.eset.com/products/index.php

Is the best you'll get.

AVG if you're poor and don't want to buy NOD32

TroldePus
25-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Nod32 !

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 01:36 PM
hmmm... ill read some reviews and take a look at Nob32, never heard of it personally, But i have been reading ALOT of 5* reviews about F-Secure, Take a look at this link

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/97757/fsecure-internet-security-2007.html?searchString=f+secure

Flawless
25-01-2008, 01:39 PM
NOD32 is widely regarded as the best you can get

http://www.eset.com/products/compare-NOD32-vs-competition.php

I highly recommend it to anyone.

Oogie
25-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh I also got AVG because it was free, because I am a cheap ass, as Flawless so politely pointed out.

Also didnt have a job when I got it :P

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 01:51 PM
WOW flawless, im very very suprised from the stats on that link, look at the amount of viruses AVG missed, yet its talked about for being one of the best. mmmmm

Cheiftan
25-01-2008, 01:56 PM
like Timface i also use AVG because i was poor when i installed it and have never got round to changing it :P

Flawless
25-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Its the best free one, I wouldn't expect it to be amazing :p

PS,

people who voted norton get to go to hell. -+

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, This thread has definatly answered my question and has also set a reference for anyone else in future.

After reading a few reviews and speaking to a friend, ive made a purchase for the Nod32, It does seem to out-perform all other suites.

:)

Flawless
25-01-2008, 02:11 PM
you can pay me with +rep!

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 02:14 PM
sure. but!!, i ordered like 20 minutes ago, received invoice and a second email instantly telling me my 2 license keys and username/password would come in a 3rd email within a FEW minutes.... how long have i got to wait?

Ordered: 1:50
Time now: 2:15

still waiting and not recieved license keys in 25 mins and counting :(

Flawless
25-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Check your junk mail, if not send them an email or phone them asking what the craic is.

Stunted
25-01-2008, 02:25 PM
i see 3 people have voted Norton, But can i ask those people why?
Through reading computer forums and past use of norton, it slows down a computer and imo isnt the best suite, Also from reading several computer forums, many people sugest against using it, But im willing to change my view if people can tell me if norton HAS improved?

I use the standalone Norton firewall and AV package, i find that it does not slow my pc down like the full internet security package. I like norton for 1 reason they know there stuff and i feel my pc is safe with those 2 packages running.

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 02:26 PM
another + for nod32, Fantastic sales support, just phoned them, ENGLISH PERSON and they imediatly resent my lisence keys username/password there and then.

Valoran
25-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I use the standalone Norton firewall and AV package, i find that it does not slow my pc down like the full internet security package. I like norton for 1 reason they know there stuff and i feel my pc is safe with those 2 packages running.
Can I sell you this tin foil hat? It protects you from alien mind scans.

Stunted
25-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Can I sell you this tin foil hat? It protects you from alien mind scans.

I like norton and i have only ever used it, with the stand alones you don't get any problems as you do with the full internet security package. I really have no idea why people hate norton as much as they do.

Valoran
25-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Because I've used it and experienced the fallout, mainly. Even if your PC never gets touched by a virus, you'd be surprised the system resources it uses up. Your PC may be fast enough for you to not notice this, but something about that really irks me.

If you don't believe me, try running a benchmark program both with and without Norton enabled (you can disconnect your internet for the duration if you don't like removing your tin foil hat) and get back to us with the results in both situations.

Talsin
25-01-2008, 02:38 PM
nod32

Stunted
25-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Because I've used it and experienced the fallout, mainly. Even if your PC never gets touched by a virus, you'd be surprised the system resources it uses up. Your PC may be fast enough for you to not notice this, but something about that really irks me.

If you don't believe me, try running a benchmark program both with and without Norton enabled (you can disconnect your internet for the duration if you don't like removing your tin foil hat) and get back to us with the results in both situations.

I beleive you, the wife has a 2.44 duel core with the full internet security package on it, and it's slow as hell even with most of the system hogs turned off.

But as i said i use the Standalone AV and firewall, they run in conjunction when installed but cause almost none of the system lag/hogging. My pc is only 2.6 btw

Valoran
25-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I beleive you, the wife has a 2.44 duel core with the full internet security package on it, and it's slow as hell even with most of the system hogs turned off.

But as i said i use the Standalone AV and firewall, they run in conjunction when installed but cause almost none of the system lag/hogging. My pc is only 2.6 btw
I don't limit my comments to the full package :p. I did, infact, read the part of your post that explained this.

Stunted
25-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't limit my comments to the full package :p. I did, infact, read the part of your post that explained this.

I would most proberly realise how slow my pc is if i used another package, but as i've only ever used norton i remain blissfully ignorant :P

Flawless
25-01-2008, 03:51 PM
don't bother renewing that Norton licence Pete

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 03:57 PM
although this Nod32 states that it protects against psyware but how exactly does it do it? since there is no spyware scan button. :/

Mischief
25-01-2008, 04:22 PM
It probably scans for viruses, trojans, adware and spyware. You'll probably only notice a difference in the messaging when something's found.

Ammanna
25-01-2008, 04:23 PM
On the chance of causing contraversy, I vote for none of the options. I use no internet security packages/AV/software firewall at all. I dont need them. I never open dodgy e-mails, use firefox not IE, dont open dodgy attachments from dodgy MSN messages, even if I know the person. Due to the job I do, I'm confident in being able to remove a virus. On the off chance I want to open something dodgy, I tend to do it on a virtual machine running from a bootable knoppix iso image mounted as a virtual optical drive. I have yet to get a virus in ~8 years.

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 04:30 PM
On the chance of causing contraversy, I vote for none of the options. I use no internet security packages/AV/software firewall at all. I dont need them. I never open dodgy e-mails, use firefox not IE, dont open dodgy attachments from dodgy MSN messages, even if I know the person. Due to the job I do, I'm confident in being able to remove a virus. On the off chance I want to open something dodgy, I tend to do it on a virtual machine running from a bootable knoppix iso image mounted as a virtual optical drive. I have yet to get a virus in ~8 years.

no software firewall? unless you are running a hardware firewall then your computer is wide open for snooping and with the correct software its VERY easy to gain access.
and if you think firefox is 100% then your mistaken, the only reason why IE is more at risk than FF is because its more widely used and crackers have a better chance of hijacking people if they write scripts specificly for IE, but your still at danger using firefox, just not as much.

Mischief
25-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I do use an AV package that I trust, my ISP filters spam and malware at the gateway, I have a hardware firewall and I'm not retarded enough to expose myself to unneccesary risk. I've only ever had one piece of malware reach my machine. It arrived via email, back before ISPs did any filtering but that was blocked by my AV.

The best way to protect yourself is by being canny and putting multiple barriers in the way. Computer security is no different to physical security in that respect.

Edit: We set up some unpatched Windows XP boxes outside of our firewall at work. They were penetrated within 80 seconds :) XP SP2 is much more secure but I still wouldn't run without a hardware firewall.

Goonerr
25-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I do use an AV package that I trust, my ISP filters spam and malware at the gateway, I have a hardware firewall and I'm not retarded enough to expose myself to unneccesary risk. I've only ever had one piece of malware reach my machine. It arrived via email, back before ISPs did any filtering but that was blocked by my AV.

The best way to protect yourself is by being canny and putting multiple barriers in the way. Computer security is no different to physical security in that respect.

totally agree, there are alot of smart people out there that work on causing havock everyday... as said before, no matter how much security you use, there is allways somebody out there that can break in, They might not be interested in your pron for there is ALLWAYS a risk...

i personal use a router firewall and software firewall suite but i know im still at risk.. but probably only 1% out of 1000000

Kinshara
25-01-2008, 04:45 PM
no software firewall? unless you are running a hardware firewall then your computer is wide open for snooping and with the correct software its VERY easy to gain access.
and if you think firefox is 100% then your mistaken, the only reason why IE is more at risk than FF is because its more widely used and crackers have a better chance of hijacking people if they write scripts specificly for IE, but your still at danger using firefox, just not as much.

While I'll agree that everyone should be running a firewall on a windows box(pretty much anything that isn't a VMS box, really), IE does have more of a problem than Firefox; specifically, ActiveX.

ActiveX and other various components are raw x86 binaries that have full access to your system with your user privilege level; for many this means Administrator. With something like Java the bytecode can at least be verified and sandboxed, but MS was trying to lock people in again so made it cpu and api specific. The huge security hole this creates is the major reason people recommend disabling the ability entirely, or restricting it so that IE will only load components from sites you explicitly specify.

Ammanna
25-01-2008, 04:53 PM

I specificly said Software firewall for a reason. :)

I'm going to assume you mean 100% secure when you just said 100%.

Did I ever say Firefox was 100% secure? no, it's not, I know it's not. I use it for the very reason you state, that it's not as widly used as IE, and therefore less targeted. You can load you're PC with whatever you like, and should somsone who knows enough so desire, they could probably still get in. The best defence is PC Literacy and PC security best practise. Something far too few people do/know how to do.

Mischief
25-01-2008, 04:55 PM
VMS
<3

One of these days I'm gonna pick up a MicroVAX for shits and giggles.

BigBadAlex
25-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Firefox and the Noscript addon are a great combo.....even when i get blind drunk and surf nasty pr0n sites i get no nasty bugs or rogue scripts running....between that and my hardware firewall nothings got as far as my av software in years!
Running Avast free version.

Flawless
25-01-2008, 07:28 PM
hahaha, blind drunk trying to crack one off awesome.

Theory
26-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Nod32 !

Nod32 Indeed only the updates are crap becus it makes ur game lag into high heaven

Goonerr
26-01-2008, 03:22 PM
how does the anti spyware work with Nod32? because i have it activated but when i asked my computer with ad-aware it found 192 infections... ? cookies only.

Flawless
26-01-2008, 04:59 PM
And your point is? :p

Goonerr
26-01-2008, 05:57 PM
im asking how it protects against spyware if after i use it i still become infected, Thats my point.

Flawless
26-01-2008, 06:27 PM
it should ask if you want to delete them leave them etc.

Vegelus
27-01-2008, 03:52 PM
There is also another good package that I'd use, Kaspersky:
http://www.kaspersky.com/

thurlog
27-01-2008, 07:44 PM
f-secure

Celinde
28-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm using Kaspersky as well, not sure if there even is a NOD for a 64-bit system.
In addition I use Firefox and NoScript. They seem to do their job so far, although I've only had Kasperksy for about two months.

I've used both Norton and AVG, and they've not stopped shit from reaching my computer.

Flawless
28-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Pretty sure Nod32 comes in 64bit flavour

Celinde
28-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I think you are right.

I thought it did not at the time I bought my protection, though, but NOD32 should work with 64bit systems, and it might be the best protection you can get.