View Full Version : PvP.. Imba fun? Where is it?

Ailith
21-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Heya,
So, you know, locks are imba and kill just about anything. Everyone knows this. It's like "auto-win" (tm) in arena and stuff and you can spam teh fear and drain-life and stuff. There's also immortality spec (SL) or leecher (UA).

Locks are imba, everyone knows it. No point denying it I guess.

But... are they fun to play? :( when do they get to be fun to play? :(

When I rolled my first ever mage, he first became "fun" (my definition) when he reached the heights of level 20 (blink!! teleport!) 28 was when he became "strong" to play in PvP (counterspell and first mana gem). This is all without twinking.

Rogue became fun to play when I reached around level 24 (Vanish).

Warrior was around level 30 (zerk stance, intercept).

But, locks. Oh how imba thou art. But I find my level 29 lock so boring to play in pvp, load up corruption, Agony, Immolate. Then spam life-drain... fear...

Admittedly, someone staying in fear as their life disappears while they're unable to do anything can be amusing. Knowing how frustrating that is from the other side... But fun? Not really.

I realise at level 29 my lock is missing a fair amount. No spellstone, no soul fire, no felhunter, no deathcoil... but the other classes I've played usually have their core pvp abilities by now. So I'm just wondering...

When do locks become "fun" to play in PvP? I'm trying to decide whether to level my lock any higher or leave it as one of the classes "I dont get along with". Should I give it another 10 levels? 20? before deciding to ditch it, or is this pretty much all you do even when you reach level 70?

Despite the poor opponents and the destruction spec, Drakedog7 made Locks look fun to play, with lots of different abilities. On par with mage for taking on multiple opponents and with various options on what to do. Some other warlock movies I've watched have made them look imba yet fairly boring "drain life... drain life... drain life...".

When\where is teh imba *fun* when playing a lock?

thanks!

Muffy
21-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Locks arent fun to play, You have to go SL/SL spec, you dot , you fear, you drain, I think you have all your skills by level 12. olol.

The most fun you will have on a lock is being full destruction.

Hoshingen
21-01-2008, 12:39 PM
l2p.

Ailith
21-01-2008, 12:53 PM
l2p? I'm not asking anything but when do they become fun? l2p has nothing at all to do with that. It's not like i'm dying all the time :p

l2 reply meaningfully ;p

Vegelus
21-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Someone wrote, that 30-39 or 40-49 is the bracket for locks in pvp (in twink thread) cba to check that.

malkor
21-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Played my first pvp with my 70 lock the other night, only AV but that was fun. Probably did everything wrong though :P Ended up camping the pass near icewing bunker, fearing and dotting everything that came past. Considering how i have no resilience was funny watching how many people ran away only to die from dots. Think pretty much anyone of them could have had me one on one :P Did this about 20 times, then i think i had pissed them off a little to much as they regrouped into about 5 or 6 at balinda's castle then came ganked my ass :P

Next game i joined the pack for some seed spamming, wasnt that much fun, got lots of kills, and damage done but was pretty mindless.

Đightrain
21-01-2008, 01:28 PM
40-49 was ausum to play, go destro and seduce nuke. Especially if you're a twink, conflagrate ftw! Also shadowfury is fun, especially in AV... got a match where i joined late at lvl 60 to find all the horde pushing SP gy. Shadowfury spam got me to the top of the dmg meters in a few mins \o/ <3

Chou
23-01-2008, 06:58 PM
yup they are fun to play ! only started 70 pvp and um using SL/ruin spec, wich fits well when you dont have enormous spell dmg. but i can understand why a rogue asks such questions about lock. no sorry its not a 2 button mashing class killing everything else

Ailith
24-01-2008, 01:02 AM
but i can understand why a rogue asks such questions about lock. no sorry its not a 2 button mashing class killing everything else

Well, my point being lock seems to only need a couple of buttons (drain life... fear.. repeat..) and it's boring.

Rogue requires more buttons than two if you actually want to kill anything, and a lot more micro-management if you're facing more than one opponent.

And I pvp more with my mage ;P

It's only a simple question, at what level does my lock get its core pvp abilities that I can decide whether or not I like it? :)

vattghern
24-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Depending what spec you want to PvP with. Besides who said that PvP as caster is fun these days (lolmelee).

Hoshingen
25-01-2008, 12:18 PM
l2p? I'm not asking anything but when do they become fun? l2p has nothing at all to do with that. It's not like i'm dying all the time :p

l2 reply meaningfully ;p

l2 make a meaningfull topic then

So, you know, locks are imba and kill just about anything. Everyone knows this. It's like "auto-win" (tm) in arena and stuff and you can spam teh fear and drain-life and stuff. There's also immortality spec (SL) or leecher (UA).
lol

Ailith
25-01-2008, 01:47 PM
l2 make a meaningfull topic then

I'm not sure where my topic is hard to understand? :o.

lol
And yea, the original post was tongue-in-cheek but with a real question behind it :)

Just noting that as I couldn't tell if you were 'lol'ing at what was intended to be playful, or 'lol' at it as though it was an example of how little I know ;)

Hoshingen
25-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Thing is, if you want FUN in PvP, don't spec Sl / SL. Because it basicly is loading up dots and drain. Oh and fear occiasionally. For fun go for either of the 3 41 point talents and see what suits you best.

Sl/SL is the most boring spec ever.

Kinshara
25-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I found destruction to be the most fun in pvp back when I played my lock; I don't know the exact level it becomes viable though, mainly because I only started using destro past 50(mostly levelled with a draintanking spec). You can do basic seduce nuking before that, but shadowfury opens up more options.

A decentish movie for 70 destro pvp would be Bibdy 3, imo. Should be on WCM somewhere.

Senex
25-01-2008, 05:24 PM
When\where is teh imba *fun* when playing a lock?
At level 70 in Alterac Valley, you'll feel as though you've brought a rocket launcher to a knife fight. You may even fill your entire action bar with Seed of Corruption, close your eyes, and play a symphony of death for your enemies.

Stim
01-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Don't Fucking Close Your Eyes!
I'm Backtsabbing Rogue!

Kenny
02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Thing is, if you want FUN in PvP, don't spec Sl / SL. Because it basicly is loading up dots and drain. Oh and fear occiasionally. For fun go for either of the 3 41 point talents and see what suits you best.

Sl/SL is the most boring spec ever.

See, here's the kicker, if you wanna actually get anywhere in arenas, if you want to play arenas and be real good at it, you have to be SL/SL. Unless you're a retard.
In which case I suggest trying destruction. We all love getting instakilled.

Warlee
02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, you can be demo up to fel guard in 5v5. Even if it's boring, its not THAT boring as SL/SL.

Also, from what i know in 2v2 you can be 41 in affi if u're playing with paladin.

The thing is u rather need to be destro if u think of world pvp.

Btw. Kennay - did u transfer anywhere from reckoning since half of your bgp migrated ? :D

vattghern
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Shara got to 2k+ (in 2v2) as Affliction mostly. I still cannot see how it is a good idea when facing rogues.

Senex
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I still cannot see how it is a good idea when facing rogues.
Instant Howl?

Stim
05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
More like instagib tbh...

vattghern
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Instant Howl. Sure. I can think about 2 easy counters (as in that everyone and his mother has in arenas) to that not counting racials. One of those counters is good enough to make you pretty much dead before it wears off.

Senex
06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, Cloak of Skills and the trinket will be used no matter what spec you happen to be. Might as well have an extra option to force them earlier.

Kenny
11-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Btw. Kennay - did u transfer anywhere from reckoning since half of your bgp migrated ? :D

Half my battlegroup? More like 4-5 teams.
I didn't migrate, no, I'm not good enough at arenas to bother doing something like that. :P

Warlee
12-02-2008, 12:04 PM
It's all about world pvp now :D arena is just shit that need to be done weekly :P

Lonelything
15-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I found them fun at lvl 49 Bracket for affliction and lvl 70 for Saci Destruction both for BG, as for Arena the only way is really SL/Sl (in my opinion anyway)

Theleb
15-06-2008, 05:32 PM
There are a very few Warlocks pushing 2400+ with 7/7/47 or a variant thereof but tbh they are very, VERY few and far between. One of the SL/SL Variants is the usual suspect and frankly they bore me to tears =/

Mischief
16-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm torn about which way to go once S2 hits.

My WoW is BGs and BGs only. And I do it for fun over anything else.

I'm sitting on the full Dreadweave Vindicator set, a partial Silk set and 75000 honor and just need to decide which of the two S2 sets to buy. The plan was always to go Felweave and spec 7/7/47 for shits and giggles but I really need to start doing some grinding (160g FTL) to pay for enchants and worry that Destro is just gonna kill that.

All of the 41 point talents appeal but Destro is the one I've never tried so I'll probably go that route. It's not as if grinding the 65250 extra honor to buy the second S2 set is gonna take very long.

Of course my decision influences the choice of S2 weapons to buy too with Destro inclining me towards the staff but the other trees being better suited to the dagger and off-hand.

I'm just gonna have to buy the lot aren't I :)

Corruption
16-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm one of those rather weird people who actually really enjoy playing as SL/SL, so naturally i'm going to say grab the dreadweave gear. I'd say go with whatever you fancy trying, like you said yourself honor isnt hard to grind and you could quite easily grab both sets if you invest some time into it (or use a bot! *cough).

Theleb
16-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm torn about which way to go once S2 hits.

My WoW is BGs and BGs only. And I do it for fun over anything else.

I'm sitting on the full Dreadweave Vindicator set, a partial Silk set and 75000 honor and just need to decide which of the two S2 sets to buy. The plan was always to go Felweave and spec 7/7/47 for shits and giggles but I really need to start doing some grinding (160g FTL) to pay for enchants and worry that Destro is just gonna kill that.

All of the 41 point talents appeal but Destro is the one I've never tried so I'll probably go that route. It's not as if grinding the 65250 extra honor to buy the second S2 set is gonna take very long.

Of course my decision influences the choice of S2 weapons to buy too with Destro inclining me towards the staff but the other trees being better suited to the dagger and off-hand.

I'm just gonna have to buy the lot aren't I :)

lol, yes :)

Its interesting that you mention going some sort of Destro variant - its something I want to mess around with on my Warlock and as I have the full merciless set from when I actually PvP'd in S2 (along with a couple of silk bits and pieces I've grabbed along the way) then as you say, grinding out a minimal amount of honour for the staff seems a small price to play.

There the matter of a maybe a ring, or some other frills but I have badges for the cloak and the BM trinket, so at the end of the day I could do a lot worse than throw more badges at other PvP stuffs and go crazy Shadowfury style outside of raids.

Yurikoh
16-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, you can get exciting matches as SL/SL too.
A very good combo is rogue (either ShS or Mutilate)/Warlock. It requires near flawless coordination for it to work though but it's very doable.
I myself could stay above 1500 while I have under 300 resilience, and the rogue has next to no resilience at all. I'd also like to tell you that he does not have a nice PVE set either, he's at Karazhan level in terms of raiding (getting through Karazhan, that is).

Theleb
16-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Mutilate without a healer is asking for a quick, violent death - although the burst is nice ;p

Yurikoh
16-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Actually it doesn't really matter, but ShS has more mobility.

- Sap (if both targets are close, otherwise to to step 2)
- Fear (probably trinket)
- Fear
- Deathcoil
- fear
- Blind
- Sap after 6 seconds blind
- Fear
- Fear
- Fear

And then either preparation or pray you've got the other player down, but seriously, after all that time you'd better have killed it.

Mischief
16-06-2008, 10:25 PM
I finally made up my mind.

Felweave gear and 0/40/21 big crit spec.

Roll on S4 :)

Theleb
17-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Grats to you :)

I shall attempt to get some more shizzle for ze Warlock if I have time after grinding honour on my shaman....the pain...the pain.....

Yurikoh
17-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Grats, but make sure you're picking a good partner for that combo.

Mischief
17-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Grats, but make sure you're picking a good partner for that combo.
I'll be picking 39 rubbish ones. I don't do teh arena :p

Theleb
17-06-2008, 10:54 AM
lol :)

cest
20-06-2008, 07:06 AM
am i too late to call the OP an idiot?

Ailith
20-06-2008, 09:01 AM
It depends, if you provide a reason then maybe not.

Slicer
20-06-2008, 12:02 PM
- Sap after 6 seconds blind

What?

Adharc
20-06-2008, 12:21 PM
What?

His previous step was "Blind", so I presume he meant vanish/sap after 6 seconds of blind.

Slicer
20-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I was meaning the "after 6" part.

Theleb
20-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Blind lasts 10 seconds, so saying Sap after 6 when you don't always get OOC after 5 is just....

*sigh*

Blind - Restealth - Sap. Its variable k?

Edit: Not aimed at Slice, he clearly knows that ;p

Ailith
20-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Not being picky or anything. Just wanted to note:

Max length blind lasts 8 secs :)

But I'm half asleep at work and I wanna go home :(

Slicer
20-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Think you'll find it's 10.

Theleb
20-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Its 10.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Blind

Go home, go sleep.

Ailith
20-06-2008, 04:28 PM
How come sometimes it lasts full duration and I still haven't left combat then o_O

Theleb
20-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Thats why its variable, its not guaranteed that you will leave combat and sometimes you don't.

Also:

LOLCHEATDEATHNERF

Thank Christ.

Yurikoh
21-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, the reason 6 seconds were picked so you still have a bit of time if something goes wrong. If you can restealth, great, if not, vanish. The warlock can still use fear on the target not being blinded so the rogue can go and stealth. (For example: druid put FF on rogue, fear, CloS and vanish)

You can wait till 7, 8 or even 9 seconds if you're feeling lucky, but I prefer not to take any chances. Any team with some decent DPS can drop the other member in the time you get with your CC's.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but if it is what I think: The steps are mere guidelines. Not every arena game is the same and you can always have bad luck with things like targets being feared into tremor totems before you can kill them or mace stuns or things like that.

Theleb
21-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Uhuh.

Mischief
24-06-2008, 10:04 AM
After an (admittedly brief) experiment as 0/6/55, I'll be respeccing back to 24/37/0 tonight.

Theleb
24-06-2008, 10:10 AM
*nod*

Its a fucker without support. With support its merely a pain in the arse.

Chou
16-10-2008, 07:20 AM
thread necromancy !

Link (http://thottbot.com/wotlk/warlock/t#/ix9/E,Ia,rKs) leading to a spec suggestion for your pvp fun. Im using it atm with this gear link (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uldaman&n=Chouli)

And yes, its great against retridins, just put your pet on hold away from them :)

Its like the old 7/5/49 spec, but with SL, 30% haste in midfight, instant SF, stunning conflags, +10% fire dmg proc, 2.5 cast time soulfire for 5k+ crits on 400 resi oponements //

edit : the 2 points in cataclysm can be spent in fel domination if your doing arenas with a healer, or in demonic brutality if your planning to use the big blue as arena tool, which is now great with the invis detection it provides + bubble
lovely.

edit2: I love the new spell stone, can even use it in arenas !