View Full Version : Gear: Suggestion on EJ

Scouserlol
16-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Getting the blue set for BG questing is a brilliant idea, and coupled with the proposed trade in for S1 could be a good solution. But instead of the entire set for one quest, I'd do something like:

Hit 70, talk to the Warmaster. Get a quest: win a WSG match and hand in 5 WSG tokens. 12g reward and Blue PvP Gloves.

Turn it in, followup quest: win an AB match and hand in 5 AB tokens. 12g + 400 honor reward and Blue PvP Shoulders.

Turn it in, followup quest: win an EOTS match and hand in 5 EOTS tokens. 12g + 400 honor reward and Blue PvP Legs.

Turn it in, followup quest: win an AV match and hand in 5 AV tokens. 12g + 400 honor reward and Blue PvP Head.

Turn it in, followup quest: win all four matches and hand in 3 of each tokens. 24g + 600 honor reward and Blue PvP Chest.

Thereafter, these can be traded in for S1 pieces at an honor cost of (current S1 cost) - (current blue PvP cost) plus an approriate number of extra tokens. Make the blue PvP pieces part of the universal Gladiator, Merciless Gladiator, Vengeful Gladiator set so you don't lose set bonuses whilst trading up and for when you get enough arena points to buy S2 or S3 items.

Appeases the "money for nothing" folks and also provides a fairly palatable upgrade path.

/discuss

Hephaestos
16-01-2008, 05:03 PM
proper forced progression for CS kiddies will make rivers of QQ.

Mischief
16-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Sounds good. I'd like to see PVP linked more closely to PVE in WoW. PVP quests. PVP zones. PVP quest hubs. On PVE servers in particular, it's as if there are two games running side by side. PVE grants PVE rewards and PVP grants PVP rewards.

Of course most of the problem stems from the mechanics. PVE has one set of mechanics which emphasises threat management, to hit, etc which have little to no impact on PVP and PVP has another set of mechanics with emphasis on stats like resilience which has almost no utility in PVE. One favours burst DPS and high stamina; the other favours sustained DPS with little need for stamina.

Phanthastic
16-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Why not just send the blue pvp items to chars when they ding lvl 70?

At least now you have to "participate" in more than 1 match to get items.

Oogie
16-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I think they refer to the idea of the T0 to 0.5 quest chain. You have the gear, you may not want to take part in 'high end' PvP so just go at it casually.

I think it would be a great idea to implement.

Scouserlol
16-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Why not just send the blue pvp items to chars when they ding lvl 70?

At least now you have to "participate" in more than 1 match to get items.

The number of games and such would need to be increased, but I think it's a solid idea.

The gear is pretty much useless now, everyone saves for No Set Epics and Season 1 first. So why not give everyone the chance of SOME resillience and make the transition a little easier?

Phanthastic
16-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Since when has it been needed to pvp in the high end to get honor for gear?
Every1 and their mom is doing it :P

Yeah, lets make everything a little bit easier. We dont want ppl to feel undergeared because they havent been playing as much as others...

Oogie
16-01-2008, 07:29 PM
MM you misunderstand, what I mean is it could be for the casual PvPer.

Scouserlol
16-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Since when has it been needed to pvp in the high end to get honor for gear?
Every1 and their mom is doing it :P

Yeah, lets make everything a little bit easier. We dont want ppl to feel undergeared because they havent been playing as much as others...

Just means people don't have to hit BG's with 0 Resillience... just like they don't hit Instances with 0 spell damage for example.

Đightrain
16-01-2008, 08:39 PM
PVE grants PVE rewards and PVP grants PVP rewards.

Failing to see the problem with this? It's already easy enough for pvers to get pvp gear with arena. I prefer it this way, old AV was a great balance between PVE and PVP imo, but i dont think PVE'rs should be able to get PVP gear for doing instances.

Faylin
16-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Just means people don't have to hit BG's with 0 Resillience... just like they don't hit Instances with 0 spell damage for example.

No, it's not quite the same. I run every BG with 0 reslience and it's no problem at all. All these PvP freaks with gazllion resilience hit for fuck all :P

Phanthastic
16-01-2008, 08:57 PM
MM you misunderstand, what I mean is it could be for the casual PvPer.

Come on. Isnt bg's casual enough already. At least let them work a bit for it like the rest of us did...

▄ber
16-01-2008, 09:10 PM
No, it's not quite the same. I run every BG with 0 reslience and it's no problem at all. All these PvP freaks with gazllion resilience hit for fuck all :P

What's your rating?

Tsarina
16-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I run every BG with 0 reslience and it's no problem at all.
Depends what your goal is, I guess. It's a problem if you want to beat decent opponents.

Faylin
16-01-2008, 11:11 PM
What's your rating?

since when do BG's have ratings? Never said it's ok for Arena's!
My only point was you don't need resilience to start doing BG's where you can gather the gear for Arena's

Mischief
16-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Failing to see the problem with this? It's already easy enough for pvers to get pvp gear with arena. I prefer it this way, old AV was a great balance between PVE and PVP imo, but i dont think PVE'rs should be able to get PVP gear for doing instances.
The point I was making is that there shouldn't be a distinction. There is a distinction because the game mechanics create one. Had the mechanics been designed differently, we wouldn't need two sets of gear.

The PVP and PVE aspects of the game exist within the same game world but are entirely distinct. I just think it's a shame that PVP and PVE aren't integrated.

Senex
17-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Depends what your goal is, I guess. It's a problem if you want to beat decent opponents.
Emphasis added. With all the dramatic discussion on how cutthroat the modern Arena has become, it is far too easy to forget that gladiatorial combat is not limited to the upper reaches. There's plenty of life below 1500 rating, as well - and there are some truly awful players down there.

(Consider this: My MT-specced protadin alt, who was wearing a full PvE tanking outfit, has killed several people in Arena today by running up to them and whacking them in melee with a one-handed spelldamage mace. That's the kind of death that earns people Darwin's award IRL)

Lednar
17-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Not a bad idea. Not going to say any more cause most others have said it already.

Mischief
17-01-2008, 07:55 AM
(Consider this: My MT-specced protadin alt, who was wearing a full PvE tanking outfit, has killed several people in Arena today by running up to them and whacking them in melee with a one-handed spelldamage mace.
There's hope for me yet :)

Scouserlol
17-01-2008, 08:01 AM
since when do BG's have ratings? Never said it's ok for Arena's!
My only point was you don't need resilience to start doing BG's where you can gather the gear for Arena's

It was never said it was needed. I geared a full pve greens disc Priest up the last few weeks. so I know it's not needed. The reason I found it a good suggestion is because I didn't have a tonne of healing from PVE gear, I had no stamina, no resillience and no healing. It was fucking painful. Again, to reitterate:

1. To make the transition from dinging 70 and going straight into PVP a little more friendly.

2. To keep the HWL Gear in the game, it looks cool... shame to waste it.

Ogrosh
17-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I think this sounds like a good idea. Alot of people make alts just for PvP, so they will likely start pvping in their levelling greens, why not add a bit more flavour in to things by doing something like this which would make the transition a bit more enjoyable.

Tyrannis
17-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree, the idea is a good one I mean it would be better to start arenas with some resilience then have none at all. And like Ogrosh said, with everyone who makes alts it would be better, perhaps it could include some sort of World PVP quest like the Halloween one we had to do at Southshore.

Stim
17-01-2008, 09:45 AM
M... So, those those rewards would totally suck... And most playes just skip them to get some better pieces of gear, right? That almost makes sense.

Ogrosh
17-01-2008, 10:59 AM
M... So, those those rewards would totally suck... And most playes just skip them to get some better pieces of gear, right? That almost makes sense.

You drunk again? I think you have completely missed the point, yeah they suck in the grand scheme of things, but having a full set of those is a better position to be in than to farm the other bits and upgrade them starting from full greens and couple of blues from levelling quests.

You have some resilience, some stamina, a bit of gear focussed in the right direction.

Mischief
17-01-2008, 11:11 AM
If the cost of the blues were deducted from the cost of the epics when you upgraded, why wouldn't you want them? All it costs you is a trip to the quartermaster.

Muffy
17-01-2008, 11:12 AM
True , I think its a nice idea to have full sets, just like when ive got all my gear im going to get the warlords stuff again for my mage :D

Senex
17-01-2008, 11:30 AM
An even simpler solution: Just as TBC introduced new item suffixes like 'of the Bandit', 'of the Physician', etc., so could WotLK feature random drops 'of the Gladiator', 'of the Field Medic', 'of the Battlemage' that would have resilience on them.

Mischief
17-01-2008, 11:36 AM
An even simpler solution: Just as TBC introduced new item suffixes like 'of the Bandit', 'of the Physician', etc., so could WotLK feature random drops 'of the Gladiator', 'of the Field Medic', 'of the Battlemage' that would have resilience on them.
I like it :)

Stim
17-01-2008, 12:20 PM

I can't even tell whether this is sarcasm or not :< I mean WTF PEOPLE WAKE UP! EPIX WERE NEVER EASIER. My alts getting gear surpassing my main in levels doing few arena matches a week and some weekend bgs. Also there are few PvE items with Resilience but obviously it's not what Blizzard intended to develop vastly.

Senex
17-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I can't even tell whether this is sarcasm or not :< I mean WTF PEOPLE WAKE UP! EPIX WERE NEVER EASIER. My alts getting gear surpassing my main in levels doing few arena matches a week and some weekend bgs. Also there are few PvE items with Resilience but obviously it's not what Blizzard intended to develop vastly.
I'm serious.

Issues of greed aside, you can't blame people for striving for 'welfare epics', when the PvP gear progression essentially begins with epics. Adding some preliminary rungs in form of greens (as proposed by yours truly) and blues (as pointed out by EJ's OP) would be a good first step towards remedying the situation.

Saha
20-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Wonder if anyone would actualy bother doing instances or group quests then. Ding 70, go bg, get blues, do some more bg, get epix. Idea is "nice", but there are balance issues which already are crappy with all welfare stuff.
Plenty of people already realized there is little to no point to do instances. Most heroic keys are obtainable through questing while lvling (honored lol). If you was smart while lvling you already have some funni helm and epix ring waiting for you in bank(SM lol). Get couple of welfare epix for honor, get someone to drag you through couple of heroics, do kara for 20 badges and voila, ready to go to arena for some more welfare doing 10 matches a week.
On alternative, you can grind instances non stop, slowly gear up in blues, start raiding kara, continue doing so for 2-3 months, realize your kara farming guild sux, join some gruul/lurker guild, progress in SSC and TK for another couple of months... Why?

Mischief
20-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Does no one actually play this game for fun?

Kathra
20-01-2008, 02:23 PM
All these PvP freaks with gazllion resilience hit for fuck all :P

Ahaha. Yeh, when players like Mori or Jackdead/Croazil/Tsarina in their vengeful gear start hitting opponents, usually the enemy just turns and /lols

Senex
20-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Fun is for casuals.

Kathra
20-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Depends on your interpretation of fun.

For some people, winning at 2350 rating and getting #1 in the battlegroup is "fun".

For others, doing RFC naked is "fun".

For others, doing BT and walking around in awesome gear is "fun".

Damn this language and its multi-meaning words ;P

Muh
20-01-2008, 04:44 PM
For others, doing RFC naked is "fun".

Can I come too?