View Full Version : Powerlevelling a Shaman

Evenara
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I've just rerolled Shaman (formerly a druid, resto in vanilla, feral in TBC, but no longer in possession of that account for various reasons) and I'm in the process of getting it to 70 as quickly as possible. The vague plan at the moment is to try and gear up as best I can from Heroics and Badges and suchlike and see if I can get some 25-man raiding in as a Resto shammy before WotLK rolls round.

I'm wondering what the best spec to opt for from about level 50 onwards is. I've been playing Enhancement so far and I'll hopefully hit 30 either tonight or tomorrow. I'm planning to stay Enhancement til at least 50 what with Windfury coming up soon and then DW at 40 but I've noticed that Enhancement mail seems to be pretty thin on the ground from the mid-to-late 40s until TBC unless you're prepared to slum it and use Hunter gear. Then again, the 50s doesn't exactly seem spectacular for Elemental mail either... Any recommendations on a spec to go for from 50+ and what'll best see me through Outlands where I'll start to gather my Resto gear for 70?

Also, if any Alliance 25-man guilds are interested in someone with considerable pre-TBC raid experience who's really keen to get back into endgame content as a resto Shaman and don't mind waiting a few weeks while I level, do get in touch ;)

Egminos
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
If you keep upgrading your weapons every 5-10 levels with decent (blue) BoE's, you will have no trouble soloing stuff till the outlands. Also look on the AH for +Str pieces, and enchant either fiery or crusader on your weapon(s). After level 40 stuff literally explodes and you will have no problem tearing through the mobs. Remember to use a 2.6 speed offhand, even if its dps and level is pretty low (see: http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t13297-enhance_shaman_collected_works_theorycraft_vol_i/ ). Its also worth searching wowhead for decent quest rewards, for example the Saving Sharpbeak questline has awesome rewards.

Valoran
13-01-2008, 12:20 AM
FT and a fastish OH (say 1.9) is actually better than WF/WF combos till you get a decent amount of AP (don't quote me on this, but I think it's around 850). After which WF/WF with a 2.6 oh starts pulling ahead.

Few other things to consider for general powerleveling, but not specifically shaman orientated is to pick up all the quests for an instance (wowhead or wow-pro are good sources here) and get a level 70 to run you through as soon as you're high enough level to pick them all up. I did this on my priest and pretty much always got 1.5-3 levels for an hours work with a bit of faffing about gathering quests beforehand.

As far as spec goes, people who have leveled as either elemental or enhancement and both have had complaints about gear. However, I think enhancement has it slightly easier due to random suffix boes actually scaling damage output through str/agi rather than just increasing mana or health pools. There are a fairly large selection of blue/epic melee weapons that can speed things up aswell, if you're willing to push the boat out.

Hephaestos
13-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I leveled as Enhancement and tbh I don't think I'd enjoy leveling as elemental much.
As elemental you have no spellpushback resistance at all (or any way to get engaged mobs off you for that matter like most if not all other casters can (frostnova, blink, fear, tank pet, shield, roots etc). On top of that any nature based elementals will be immune to you. As enhancement you can atleast just take all the rogue-like items which are properly itemized and mix these with the hunter-ish items.

Evenara
13-01-2008, 02:36 PM
From past experience putting melee classes through the midlevels I know all about the difference keeping gear, specifically weapons, up to date makes. I'm spending a pleasant afternoon at work going through instance loot to find worthwhile farmable items. Nice tip on the instance grinding Val, a quick couple of zergs last night with only one quest pulled in a level or so of XP so adding quests on top of that = profit!

So, if Enhancement is the way to go to 70, how does this (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/shaman/talents.html?0000000000000000000050052001350013353 115150005331000000000000)look for a build? It's based around the notion that I'll be almost entirely soloing so I've mostly chosen to ignore totem enhancing buffs in favour of talents that benefit me more as a solo player than in group play, with the exception of Totemic Mastery which has a fairly large impact on solo play too.

Miniloth
14-01-2008, 04:59 PM
TBH I didn't have a great deal of trouble leveling as enhancement, and still don't, but I did find that in the late 50 Stratholme had a lot of great gear.

Evenara
19-01-2008, 09:20 PM
47 just now, gear hasn't been as big an issue as I thought and I've just torn through the last seven levels. Mobs are dropping dead in mere seconds, casters especially. I expect that to slow down shortly but I might drop a pile of cash on getting some new shiny weapons for level 50 onwards if I can't find any good farmables so as to continue the slaughter. I'm approaching the 41 point Enhancement talent and will start putting points into Resto once I hit it I think, unless I can find a really good reason to put more in Enhance just now.

Evilstein
07-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Spaaaaaaam!!!