View Full Version : DX10 Equiv in XP SP3 ?

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Ive heard that there will be DX9.0L in Windows XP SP3 which is the same as DX10 just an older name for it, to be released in the first half of 2008, Does anybody know if this is true, If so no need for buying Vista for the DX10 graphics bonus.

Chopper
03-01-2008, 01:11 PM
No.

As far as I know, DirectX9.0L is DirectX9.0 for Vista, not DirectX10 for XP.

DirectX10 is currently one of the prime reasons for a gaming user to migrate (I won't use the word "upgrade") to Vista from XP. It wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to remove that incentive to migrate.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
well my source says otherwise.

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/10/16/directx-9l-will-be-a-directx-10-for-windows-xp

DirectX 9.0 L is simply a renamed and refurbished DirectX 10 for Windows XP. It will make DirectX 10 games to work on Windows XP.

And games such as the upcoming Crysis won't work on the existing DirectX 9.0 c. they need a DirectX 9.0 L

Chopper
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Your source the following day:

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/10/17/directx-90-l-works-on-vista-only

Crysis Single Player Demo download:

http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/8456,gen/downloads/

Note the required system specifications.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok now we cleared that up, ive made my mind that ill get Vista and DX10 ( yes i know it might be classed as the shittest of the shittest of the shittes OS in the whole entire universe of living organism and bactera) BUT my next question is, should i get Vista 64 bit and 4gigs of ram, most likely next gen games will require more than 2 gigs of ram in the future or a 32 Bit and only 2 gigs of ram?

JeFF
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Uhhh... don't all versions of Vista support both 32 and 64bit? So you can just get any Vista edition you want with 2gig ram and then upgrade to 4gig later.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
i dont think 32bit vista is able to address full 4 gigs of ram, so in which case, if i want 4gig's i would need the 64bit.v of vista to get full benefit from it, somebody correct me if im wrong? not sure how it works

JeFF
03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I just read about the memory thing in here:
http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/

Apparently you can install 4GB of RAM on a 32bit Vista PC but only about 2.5 to 3.5GB of it will be available for use.

I also read from a Finnish forum that if you buy a retail copy of Vista, you'll get a 32bit disc and can order a 64bit disc separately from Microsoft only for something like 12 euros.

Gumdrops
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Idiot Jeff.

JeFF
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Explain.

Gumdrops
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Explain.

This needs no explanation!

JeFF
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
... Idiot Gumdrops!

Oogie
03-01-2008, 02:34 PM
... Idiot Gumdrops!

Idiot Gumdrops.

Gumdrops
03-01-2008, 02:37 PM
No.

Flawless
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
What Jeff said is true,

Apparently you can install 4GB of RAM on a 32bit Vista PC but only about 2.5 to 3.5GB of it will be available for use. and alot of it goes to the OS which isn't needed.

As for DX10 for XP. Theres been alot of circles trying to port it to XP, I'm not sure on the outcome but I doubt you will see it anytime soon.

Đightrain
03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Ok now we cleared that up, ive made my mind that ill get Vista and DX10 ( yes i know it might be classed as the shittest of the shittest of the shittes OS in the whole entire universe of living organism and bactera) BUT my next question is, should i get Vista 64 bit and 4gigs of ram, most likely next gen games will require more than 2 gigs of ram in the future or a 32 Bit and only 2 gigs of ram?

I only got 2gig on vista 64 and i got crysis running at 1600x1400 maxxed out at full speed for most of it, last lvl gets a bit choppy though, nref rain and fiar

Flawless
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I haven't missed an extra 2gb yet (running 2 on 64). I do plan on buying them at some point though.

Kinshara
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
What Jeff said is true,

and alot of it goes to the OS which isn't needed.

It normally won't go to the OS actually -- it will probably just be taking up space and using power. If a device is mapped to the addresses where the RAM would be, you cannot actually access the RAM at all.

PAE(which allows for 36bit virtual addresses) gets around that on 32bit systems, but A: it's a horrible hack, B: apps have to be aware of it, and C: windows XP and above disabled that completely afaik.

So it's 64bit only for the windows world if you want to use that much RAM.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
but using a 64bit, would that effect any games or software i wanna use? like are some things only made to work on 32bit, or does all software and games all work on 64 and 32?

Kinshara
03-01-2008, 05:11 PM
but using a 64bit, would that effect any games or software i wanna use? like are some things only made to work on 32bit, or does all software and games all work on 64 and 32?

In theory, a 64bit OS on x86-64 can run 32bit binaries without modification. In practice, it depends on how well it's implemented, and whether there are 64bit drivers for all the hardware you have.

As I understand it, Vista64 had some problems initially but should be fine now; as always, I'd recommend you check the list of supported hardware to see if what you have will give you problems.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 05:23 PM
And what to you sugest for a gaming processor? some people say AMD is better for single applications like games and others say Intel is better, But to be honest im totally not sure, I would like an honest educated answer, no fanbois please.

Flawless
03-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Intel, AMD are lacking sorely behind in anything but the power consumption market. Look up any benchmark Intel Core2's will come out on top.

Core2Duo @ 3Ghz is about as good as it gets. Bang for buck wise at least, or if you want to push the boat out Core2Quad @ 2.4Ghz and Overclock it to 3Ghz.

No matter what anyone says Intel's are better, AMD aren't really being that competative for a budget market either. Check the prices for AMD's Phenoms processors Vs. Intels Quad cores.

As for 64bit compatibility, I've had one issue. I can't install Duke Nukem 3D. If you want to be sure throw up some of them games you would be worried about loosing and Ill dig around.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
well i only really ever play Wow, and the new computer will be for AoC when its released and i might try War, but i think ill end up with a Core2Duo 3.0, still thinking about eather 64bit or 32bit, since i want 4gig of ram, its a really difficult desicion to make, because i dont want any problems

Kinshara
03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Eurgh, difficult question.

Overall, I think Intel's current Core2 line is better than anything AMD has out at present, at least for gaming. There are a couple benchmarks where AMD will pull ahead, but Intel wins more often than not. If you have a specific game that you definitely want to run well(you mentioned crysis), then I'd suggest looking for benchmarks on that. Crysis is quite demanding compared to most games, so if it runs that well it should be just fine with everything else.

The major advantage AMD has right now is that their memory controller is integrated onto the main die, whereas Intel has it on a separate northbridge chip. This means that Athlons/Phenoms have a lower latency when accessing main RAM, and usually have higher bandwidth as well. Intel, on the other hand, have larger caches on die, a better prefetcher, and better IPC. Which is better really depends on the application -- it's mainly server applications that really favour AMD.

I'm currently holding off on buying any new hardware until after Nehalem is out, which should be in the second half of this year. It's a new microarchitecture for intel, and will add an on-die memory controller... which basically combines the best features of both lines at present. As always, anything you buy now will look outdated 6 months down the line :)

Flawless
03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I've never had any problems with Vista64, I ain't BSOD once. Only DN3D won't install :'(

Core2 line is the best for gaming at this moment in time, and look set to be fore a while unless AMD do a crazy ivan

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
well... my only thing on the brain is 64 bit vista. cuz im worried ill get it and ill have programmes and games saying "Incompatible" or some crap like that but if you think its rare that you find an app or game that doesnt run 64bit then ill probably go with it.

Flawless
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
here's a list of what I've had 0 problems with.

Steam
MSN
Xfire
Nvidia Drivers
Anti-virus (I've used a few)
COD4
Rise of nations
Command and conquer the first decade
Dawn of war series
Ventrilo
Hamachi
Nokia PC drivers (for connecting to your mobile phone)
Divx
Itunes (there is a problem here, you cannot burn a CD using Itunes and Vista 64)
Fraps
Netgear drivers
VLC media player
firefox
Winrar
utorrent
and ofc, WoW

I've also been trying to locate information on XP32bit with 4gig of ram, Im fairly sure it can run 4GB total RAM (including graphics card RAM etc.) but cannot allocate more than 1.5Gb to programs while the rest is allocated to the OS... I can't find where I read it though, and its annoying me ><

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
thats a pretty solid list there, ill probably give it a shot since i want all my 4 gigs to be used :D

Kinshara
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I've also been trying to locate information on XP32bit with 4gig of ram, Im fairly sure it can run 4GB total RAM (including graphics card RAM etc.) but cannot allocate more than 1.5Gb to programs while the rest is allocated to the OS... I can't find where I read it though, and its annoying me ><

1.5GB available to userspace seems a bit low to me for most machines, but I suppose if you had 2-3 512MB video cards in SLI, you'd eat up a huge chunk of your address space. Add the other devices and the kernel's own memory on top of that, and yeah... you'd have very little vm space left for apps.

(This would be my major reason for using a 64bit OS right now, even if the apps are still 32bit)

Flawless
03-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Did a quick search, there doesn't appera to be any problems with Age of conan and Vista64, also if you want to save some get the OEM version.

Goonerr
03-01-2008, 07:38 PM
thanks for all info, has made my mind much more clear about what i want now :)