View Full Version : Resto Shaman and PvP

Theleb
14-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Ignoring Instances for the moment, and likewise without considering gear (its coming, soon enough) I just wanted to pick the brains of those experienced Shaman players as to tactics for PvP healing, and how you get out of trouble (Oh look, 2 rogues ganking the healer).

Currently using this build:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=hZxZEc0tAested

Add-ons are fairly streamlined - Clique and Grid with Yata/Enhancer simply for totem timers and a tidy menu.

Grid's configured to show Reduced Healing Effects, Poison, Disease as well as usual health/mana warnings and Clique ofc just lets me Chain/HW/LHW/Cure Disease/Remove Poison/Earth Shield easily. There's probably an easier way of doing things but this works well enough for now.

Before starting to heal, I throw down Grounding/Tremor totems as a little bit of insurance, and if I know there are rogues about sometimes a Magma totem to bring them out of stealth (Hey, its worked more often than it should in the last couple of days!) - Mana Tide if I get short, OR there are enough casters in my group, in range for it to be beneficial - likewise with Heroism.

Generally, I can't guarantee that every single person in range is in the same place (apart from at obvious moments like killing Glav in AV) so I am careful before using too much Chain Heal spam simply because its wasted if they're too far apart for it to chain (I know thats obvious but Its definately something I find myself watching for as a nub healer)

Assuming Chain is viable, I will and then throw HW/LHW at single targets, as well as Remove Poison, and the odd offensive Purge/Earthshock should it be required but.....

If I get into trouble I find myself running out of options fairly quickly - resilience/gear aside
are there any particular tactics people use against certain classes? Should I Earth Shield myself and hope it doesn't get Arcane Shotted/Stolen/Dispelled etc, try the Frostshock/Earthbind run away while healing tactic? Earthshock/Grounding against Casters and hope the cavalry arrive to back me up?

I can accept dying when focused down by three or four players but I'd like to think there are options (other than healing myself ofc) when caught out by one - even if its just buying enough time to run like a coward to somewhere I can eat and drink.

Tips/Advice/Watchable Movies all welcome :D

Kathra
14-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Hm, there isn't much direct advice I can give to you as a shammy, but i'm a healer in arenas so i'll do my best.

The only thing you can really rely on is your teammates to help you survive, i'm gonna assume we're talking about arena here, so roll with classes that have reliable CC - Mages, warlocks etc. Make sure you use them defensively and use the oppurtunity to distance yourself from the annoying melee classes.

Most shammies i've seen usually just stand there and outheal the beating, what I cant figure out is how you're facing teams that target you first, most of the time shammies are a horrible first-target because of natures guardian, earthshield, focused mind etc etc. Maybe you want to focus on standing further back from fights? stay at max distance?

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be a big help, just trying to share some little knowledge that I have.

ps. I'm probably missing something here, but if you're talking pure pvp wouldn't moving the points from healing grace to natures guidance be a better idea? For those earthshock resists etc?

Theleb
14-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Its a kind of "best of both worlds" Spec in that It "should" allow me to heal PvE as well - for a Pure Arena/PvP spec I'd certainly agree with you.

Kathra
15-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Ignoring Instances for the moment,

Misleading ;P

Regardless, sorry i couldn't be more help ><

Theleb
15-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Ah - the real point of the question (Sorry, was misleading now I re-read it) was tactics for healing, not builds per se.

This is my first healbot character so its all a bit new and bewllidering having to watch health bars, the environment, totem timers and everytything else so how to approach certain situations was a more pressing need than build fine-tuning right now :D

Mischief
19-12-2007, 02:12 PM
There's a discussion on Resto PVP here: Link. (http://elitistjerks.com/f38/t14902-shaman_resto_questions/)

Mods: If I've broken etiquette/rules by linking out of the forum, please delete.

Then forgive me.

And buy me cookies!

Theleb
21-12-2007, 12:51 AM
For posting such a nice link, I'll give you cookies. Thanks :D

Chou
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
hey shammies :) and happy new year

i currently play 2v2 with a resto shaman, with me as a warrior, and we get often ridiculously get powned. we are around 1700 rating atm, and ofc aiming at 1850 for "at least" the weaps.

its getting real hard when you cross flee spec-druids and scorpid hunters, for example.

my mate is quite a nice shaman, with up to 400 resi and 11.5k hp, and i got equivalent gear.

our main problems are druids healers atm, with any other dps at their side. As a warrior its hell to kill the druid before his dps kills my mate, but the question is more concerning my mate. should he try to solo the dps with me hammering him too, or rather go on healing himself while i try to kill the druid ? last week on 10 games, 3 loss due to druid good players.
what you think then, can you shaman healer arena guys deal some nice dmg to the dps in order to kill him, with your dps helping you, or rather get oom healing yourself while your mate kills the healer ?

intercept help healing, but losing it when your trying to kill a druid is bad. any clue ? what should the shaman do

Sloth
08-01-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm not really sure but I think a lot of purging and ES'ing should help against druid teams.

Valoran
08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
hey shammies :) and happy new year

i currently play 2v2 with a resto shaman, with me as a warrior, and we get often ridiculously get powned. we are around 1700 rating atm, and ofc aiming at 1850 for "at least" the weaps.

its getting real hard when you cross flee spec-druids and scorpid hunters, for example.

my mate is quite a nice shaman, with up to 400 resi and 11.5k hp, and i got equivalent gear.

our main problems are druids healers atm, with any other dps at their side. As a warrior its hell to kill the druid before his dps kills my mate, but the question is more concerning my mate. should he try to solo the dps with me hammering him too, or rather go on healing himself while i try to kill the druid ? last week on 10 games, 3 loss due to druid good players.
what you think then, can you shaman healer arena guys deal some nice dmg to the dps in order to kill him, with your dps helping you, or rather get oom healing yourself while your mate kills the healer ?

intercept help healing, but losing it when your trying to kill a druid is bad. any clue ? what should the shaman do
Just kill the dps first. Purge any heals and interupt HT. Druids have no dispel, so you can heroism and burn it just fine.

Hearst
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
That's before the wonderful world of druid-CCing begins.

Chou
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
nice one val, didnt think we could purge the HoT. gotta try it, maybe it will be fine.

Valoran
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
nice one val, didnt think we could purge the HoT. gotta try it, maybe it will be fine.
Only thing to note is that purging lifebloom triggers the "bloom" final heal, so watch the timing on that, letting it tick for 200 or whatever when your target is at 10% might be preferable to purging and forcing a heal.

Theleb
09-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Purge can indeed, Purge nearly any damn thing and its well worth watching the bemused expression on people's face when their buffs suddenly vanish/hots disappear/talent procs get eaten.

If you PvP in Arena's then set one of your Team Mates as your focus, and then an /assist macro to purge his target. Works wonders...