View Full Version : A technical section on SSE ?

Gwynin
07-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I know most issues ppl have with wow get sorted other places (hardware forums/official forums etc etc), but every now and then someone ask a question on here and also most of the time gets some good solid advice.

Some of these issues are quite well known and have a good fix for it, so was wondering if there was a need or demand for a tech section where we could have all the technical babble along with stickies for the well known issues and fixes.

Afterall sometimes it would save ppl alot of searching/googleing since not even on the wow forums the issue with the lag caused by SB Live! cards is stickied, even tho its a more than well known issue.

But anyways Im just bored at work and thought I'd hear what ppl think about the idea

Turiel
07-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Interesting, any feedback from members about this? Would you use it?

Muqai
07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Not the first place I would've gone, but yes, I would have asked/searched here aswell if there was such a section.

Flawless
07-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Depends on the feedback in it if people would use it.

Could incorporate more than just PC help for instance,

"PC World - News/Hints/Tweaks/Problems"

Gwynin
07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
The reason why I came about this idea is becos I myself suffer from the issue with lag/freeze in WoW due to my SB Live! soundcard.

Its a quite well known issue from what Ive googled. But its not stickied on neither wow or SB forums, which can make it a pain to find the solution.
And in such cases it would be way easier for SSE ppl to take a quick peak here, and go 'wow thats my solution right there, sse is awesome!'.

But ofcos making it a broader section like Flawless mentioned is a good idea, since any such question when asked in off-topic quickly get drowned by other off topic threads and can be hard to find.

Kenny
07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Definitely a good idea, I'd use it!

Oogie
07-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Im all for it, I know from previous experience there are people with all kinds of technical backgrounds that can offer some very good advice.

JeFF
08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Or just a technology forum where we would discuss about everything. Ie. Audio, Multimedia, PC hardware/software etc. It would probably fall under the "Non Warcraft" forums but we could still have WoW technical discussions there too..

Ammanna
08-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I blame Jeff for this idea.

But yes, I think we could justify use of a forum for this.

pegastud
10-12-2007, 04:15 PM
It's a crap idea.

Why? People won't get that much response on their problem. Since I, and I assume many others, already skip certain forums (as I mostly do with the Site development forum) and I would most certainly also skip the Pc solving section. On the other side, I would answer someone's technical problem when i accidently bump into it in the 'off topic forum.

Flawless
10-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Thats just retarded, you're saying you cba reading something in the right forum if it was there? I mean the whole few clicks it would take you to look at the forum and see if there was anything there you could help with, or help you.

Off topic is filled with too much shite its hard to find anything other than "LOL YOUTUBE OR FUNKNEE PIC"

Scouserlol
12-12-2007, 09:27 AM
/Signed

Aevorn
12-12-2007, 12:59 PM
The reason why I came about this idea is becos I myself suffer from the issue with lag/freeze in WoW due to my SB Live! soundcard.

Its a quite well known issue from what Ive googled. But its not stickied on neither wow or SB forums, which can make it a pain to find the solution.
And in such cases it would be way easier for SSE ppl to take a quick peak here, and go 'wow thats my solution right there, sse is awesome!'.

But ofcos making it a broader section like Flawless mentioned is a good idea, since any such question when asked in off-topic quickly get drowned by other off topic threads and can be hard to find.

Gwynin, have you tried using the WMP fix referred to in this thread: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=1739394019&sid=1 ?

To outline it very quickly:

1) If you have WoW running, log out and shut it down.
2) Update Windows Media Player to the latest version available. I believe it's v11 currently.
3) Start Windows Media Player and minimize it.
4) Start WoW.
5) Keep WMP running while you play WoW.

You should experience improved loading times, as well as reduced freezes, latency and shearing.

The thread is thick with speculations as to why people see improved performance, as well as a debate as to whether this is mainly on Windows XP or on Vista as well. From what I picked up, it seems that the trick have been reported to improve performance on some Vista systems, but not consistently so.

However, it's an easy trick to test out and it might help you.

Aevorn
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
On a related note: If there were a technical forum on SSE, I'd use it. Call me naive, but getting advice from people on the same server somehow seems more credible.

Turiel
12-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Gumdrops, make it so!

Flawless
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I love how it says Site Administrator under your name :P

Oogie
12-12-2007, 03:32 PM
It's the bonus if managerial skills.

Delegation!

Mischief
12-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Or just a technology forum where we would discuss about everything. Ie. Audio, Multimedia, PC hardware/software etc. It would probably fall under the "Non Warcraft" forums but we could still have WoW technical discussions there too..
This exactly what I don't want.

Discussion of problems that are specific to WoW (such as issues with the software itself and compatibility with various items of hardware/software - specifically, drivers) is OK but I'm not sure how much use it would get.

A more general forum would probably descend into page after page of photographs of blue neon lights, watercooling systems with bright green liquid in them and other technological masturbations.

I'll vote no purely because it'll either see very little use and just clutter up the forums with an unused category, or because it'll get too much use and clutter up "Today's Posts" with people moaning that the PC they've just built that is 200 times more powerful than is needed to play WoW is so noisy that they can't here anyone on Ventrillo any more.

Flawless
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
or because it'll get too much use and clutter up "Today's Posts" See off topic forum.

There is too many under used forums in SSE and 1 over used forum. If you expand the amount of off topic forums there will be less crap to go through to find something you might actually want to look at.

As for technological masturbations, I don't think many people at SSE have those kinds of systems.

Oogie
12-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a UV tube and some molexing, about it really.

Kinshara
12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
The thread is thick with speculations as to why people see improved performance, as well as a debate as to whether this is mainly on Windows XP or on Vista as well. From what I picked up, it seems that the trick have been reported to improve performance on some Vista systems, but not consistently so.

I believe it's due to the fact that Vista changes its scheduling priorities when WMP is running. There was quite a lot of bitching about it earlier this year from a different perspective -- istr network file transfer performance was worse with WMP running, but the latency for any individual app was better.