View Full Version : HDTV advice

Hevn
29-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey all,

As the title more or less states, I am looking to buy a HDTV. Whether or not this is a viable choice already in this day and age is somewhat besides the point. My mind is pretty much set on it so that's not what I need your advice on :p.

Since I am most likely buying a PS3 in the near future too, I decided I may as well go all out and go for a 1080p native resolution TV.

My questions are the following:

Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with certain TVs? Like certain brands or models?
What's important to keep an eye on? I have read that the most important spec by far is contrast ratio and colour saturation, but any other things that I should take note of would be appreciated.
What type should I go for? Plasma, LCD, rear projection? I am currently leaning towards plasma since several people have told me that plasma has better black levels than LCD (higher contrast ratio) and they are less likely to break down.

So, any tips or general help would be appreciated!

Valoran
30-11-2007, 03:26 AM
One thing to make sure of, if you're buying a TV you intend to use consoles on - is that you won't have any notable latency when you're running that system. A friend of mine bought a 38" Sony LCD about a year ago and found that he couldn't play any of his systems through the TV without a half second or so gap between inputs and reactions on the screen - it was annoying enough for him to take it back and buy a new CRT, despite the move towards HD technology.

It's something to watch out for in reviews/comments as it seems pretty common in modern TVs when running anything out of their native resolution - being fitted with sub par processors, they just can't transform the image quick enough.

Ninja
30-11-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a 42" Pioneer Plasma pretty happy with that mostly use it for DVD movies and tv shows but have a PS3 too.

Its an old TV so i guess its not full HD. Thought it was big when i bought it but now ime used to it ime thinking its a bit small. Its really good for blueray and PS3 games and DVDs.

For TV i recon its better with a LCD. Got a bit scared in the beginning, Got a lot off burned pictures left on the screen. But it gets wiped (removed) after a while.

Realize ime not the fanatical know what dude out there tho. But i like entertainement. This TV works great for me.

Got 1400+ DVD keep cases/boxes i watch on the TV. About 1050 movies and 350 complete seasons of TV shows.

I get a lot off white marks on the screen where the sub titles are and in the corner where the TV channel mark is. But it gets removed pretty quick, and not noticable all the time just sometimes.

Biggest minus the TV has i think not sure not going back there to sheck its a tight spot, is that its only have 1 (maybe 2) HDMI sockets. Its a big pluss when TVs have 2-3.

BigBadAlex
30-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Hevn...go here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104
These guys know EVERYTHING you need to know, saved me a lot of money/grief in the past:)

Alex

Hevn
30-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

An especially nice tip about the non-HD consoles, something that definitely wouldn't have occurred to me straight away.

Miniloth
30-11-2007, 10:32 PM
There was a thing about plasma tvs about a year ago, it was after 4-5 years they woulds need either replaced or something changed on them, something to do with the gasses(?) disapating over time.

Oogie
01-12-2007, 12:12 AM
That is something to do with not so well made plasma's. Not necessarily to do with just HDTV's.

As far as I know, the tech has moved on a little since then.