View Full Version : Resto druid in 2vs2

Shadowjan
15-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Not so many posts here in this section...i am bored at work and was curiuous to know if former resto druids (i am still 8-11-42) are going deeper in Balance tree since the 1/3 +spell damage changes.

Again, i only talk about 2vs2, as i feel that resto druids in 3vs3 / 5vs5 should focus on healing/cc only.

At the moment i team up with a warrior in 2vs2, and only focus heal/cc, hardly ever wasting mana on moonfire spam. Today, however, i was thinking about a new spec that would make our team more aggressive, especially when a little more well timed dps from me could make a difference. Thinking about something in the lines of 26-0-35 http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/druid/talents.html?0143220125031200000000000000000000000 0000005153300031500501300
Basicly, i give up feral charge (no more points in feral tree) and invest more in moonfire dmg and talents like lunar guidance, nature's grace & moonglow that also benefit my healing...

What you other tree huggers gonna do?

Kathra
15-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Not worth it tbh, feral charge is insanely valuable in 2on2, when you need that quick silence/interrupt to stop a healer catching a quick lifesaving heal.

I tried 21/0/40 not to long ago, natures grace spec + 60% regrowth critrate meaning you get a 2.5 second HT (and using imp HT 2/2) for a very nice amount pretty much every few seconds. The extra damage and range on CC was very nice for most pvp situations, yet in 2on2/3on3 brackets i really did miss feral charge/thick hide.

tl;dr - May work for 5on5 teams where you arent so dependant on that ability, but in 2on2 my opinion is that it isnt worth the change

Hearst
15-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Well I'm not an expert on resto druids or any druids for that matter but I would say that having Feral Charge and using it correctly by interrupting a cast, usually a heal, is much more aggressive than any mediocre at best damage you can output with points in Balance. My 2 cents.

Ailith
16-11-2007, 01:45 PM
TBH if ice-block is made trainable for mages, I think feral charge should be trainable for Druids. For pvp it is such a useful and necessary ability.

Not that I have much say in the matter ;p But I wouldn't put points in balance instead of feral charge if I were resto. I pretty much agree with the above posters :)

miganto
16-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Dont forget that the damage output wont be 'that' bad nowadays, seen as the druid might have 4-600spell damage in healing gear.

I'd personally say; Go for it, see if it fits what you're after (a nice bit of burst damage can win a 2/2 for you) and if not, go back, it'll only be 30g ish max, not too much =)

Kathra
17-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Dont forget that the damage output wont be 'that' bad nowadays, seen as the druid might have 4-600spell damage in healing gear.

I'd personally say; Go for it, see if it fits what you're after (a nice bit of burst damage can win a 2/2 for you) and if not, go back, it'll only be 30g ish max, not too much =)

It's not bad, no. I myself have around 500 spelldamage in my PvP gear now, which means the occasional over-1000 crit. However there is no way i'd try and boost myself to the level of someone who depends on talent points to output damage. In cases of rival 2dps teams where my healing isnt high enough to keep my partner alive, i'd feel like I had totally wasted my time and effort. Most arena fights require absolute 100% concentration on crowd control and keeping my teammates alive (in my personal experience).

This doesn't mean you can whack more points into balance and try to create some sort of hybrid though, feral charge is a massive utility that balance simply doesn't have. Which is the ability to interrupt spells and lock down casting. Oomkins have been whining for months about their effective lack of counterspell/interrupts.

Also, i wouldnt give up thick hide or imp bash for slightly more damage, let my teammates do the damage, i'll do the healing.

Before anyone tries to claim that using Feral charge is clearly not maintaining teammates, I count the silence effect as a CC ;]

Saha
17-11-2007, 06:10 PM
IMHO 11/11/39 hotbot build should be quite interesting in all arena brackets. Having 2 dots, fcharge and imp bash should give quite a large space to play in. Its in no way loldps build, rather the healing+support one with tiny bit extra dps and decent cc.

Wartauren
17-11-2007, 08:03 PM
I honestly doubt the extra bit of damage you'd be able to do would change as much as a well timed Feral Charge.

Also, Saha, what talents would you not take in Restoration then?

Saha
17-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I honestly doubt the extra bit of damage you'd be able to do would change as much as a well timed Feral Charge.

Also, Saha, what talents would you not take in Restoration then?

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/druid/talents.html?0143020100000000000005002301000000000 0000005023340031500501340

Living spirit has close to no use due to absence of spi on pvp gear. ToL can be used in extreemly rare cases and its not worth the shifting mana in most of those rare cases. Healing touch is overall least efficient heal druid has, so why bother with it, specialy knowing the long cast time? Imp motw... will not even comment it.

Now the big question... Is imp moonfire and insect swarm worth the 4% efficientcy on HotS and 6% chance for them to not be dispelled? Duno, I have way too little experience in TBC resto druids to actualy argue or even to have a strong opinion. Just thinking such a build could be played fairly decently.

Wartauren
17-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Imp. Moonfire is really not that good with the Vengeance, nor is it anyway near mana efficient, Insect Swarm would be kind of neat for 3v3 or 2v2ing with a caster class, to add another thing for them to dispell.

And I know that Living spirit is useless, and I don't have it. My points are in Empowered Rejuvention and Empowered Touch, as I don't really think higher resistance to dispell, as lifebloom can, if dispelled the second it's applied, be very good HPS/HPM.

And Imp. Motw would neglect Furor which would make Feral Charge nearly pointless to take. (Actually, it'd make it completely worthless).

Saha
17-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Imp. Moonfire is really not that good with the Vengeance, nor is it anyway near mana efficient, Insect Swarm would be kind of neat for 3v3 or 2v2ing with a caster class, to add another thing for them to dispell.

And I know that Living spirit is useless, and I don't have it. My points are in Empowered Rejuvention and Empowered Touch, as I don't really think higher resistance to dispell, as lifebloom can, if dispelled the second it's applied, be very good HPS/HPM.

And Imp. Motw would neglect Furor which would make Feral Charge nearly pointless to take. (Actually, it'd make it completely worthless).

Problem comes with purge happy shamans. You can bloom all you want, but without rejuve/regrowth ticking its simply not enough healing output usualy, not to mention it cutting out the swiftmend=/ Then again, points in sublety will not exactly help much in such situation. Its more of a talent filler in build I posted.

Wartauren
17-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Actually, with the arena idol Lifebloom ticks for a nice ~1400 HP, if it's a properly purge happy shaman/priest, that's a fair bit of HPS.

Shadowjan
23-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Khorren's arguments are pretty convincing to me, THX!

still...might consider more points in dispel resistance, cause i met some nasty dispel-eager priests in arena recently (my rejuv/innervate & lifebloom were dispelled after a few secs)