View Full Version : enough

YuanTi
23-10-2007, 03:30 PM
i've had enough
i've tried to do arenas since they came out as a shadowspecc,it's plain impossible..why torture myself anymore
i'm not badly geared,got around 11k hp and 8.5k mana+around 200 ressilence in my now retired pvp gear
yet it just does'nt work,i find myself having to drop shadowform at all times and i end up healing anyway so why bother trying to play a damage specc
i've reached 1750 rating max with different people in both 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 but i don't feel like i'm playing a damage class ,i also play a mage and i find myself surviving much better as a mage then a shadowpriest,you'd think it should be the other way around but alas it is'nt...
i've just now pulled out my priestset and sta gemmed it and respecced to mostly holy(need to work on that,was done in a hurry:P) but still,other classes can play different speccs and still be able to do their intended job
(be that healing or dps)
as a shadowpriest you are being pushed to heal just to survive and your damage will be minuscule compared to other classes

i know this is all old news but really,back at 60 shadow was one of the best pvp specc and class,why suddenly turn the table around and make it a pvespecc?
That just does'nt make much sense unless blizzard has noted a lack of healers in bg's and found this to be a good way to turn that around,in that case gg blizzard.

i'd love to continue playing my priest as i want to play her but it's just not much fun walking around the arena constantly with hamstring or crippling poison or whatever and having no way to get out of it,we got 1 trinket...1.that's it..no other way to get out of sheep,sap,blind,fear,deathcoil,hamstring,crippling ,frostshock,freezing....shall i go on?:P
ok,part of those are dispellable but still:(
i'm the tank in arenas, i've accepted that,but as shadow this is damn near impossible at 3v 3 and barely doable as 2 v 2,i shudder to think how it will be at 5 v 5

so what happens now?
2.3 is coming up and i don't think we will see any improvements in anything but manaregeneration (wich admittently has been a huge issue for shadowpriests) but for a bg /arena priest this won't be such a huge boost...i mean,how much spi do you got in pvp gear..
i now wonder if we'll see shadowpriests in full healing arenagear due to the 30% of healing to spelldamage.
i don't even want to comment on the new glovebonus for the priestdamageset...

there's 1 good thing coming as far as i can see and that is no global cd when you leave shadowform.
i'm annoyed..i've played pvp since the early days and this has been my main toon since the day i started to play..release day..i might not be the most fantastic player but i do know my class fairly well after playing her for the last 2.5 years and most of that time as shadow.
Any input? anyone who can tell me if it's even worth playing as shadow anymore?

Faylin
23-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Any input? anyone who can tell me if it's even worth playing as shadow anymore?

Do PvE! ^^

Kinshara
23-10-2007, 03:53 PM
While I haven't done much pvp on my priest (no arena at all yet, just bg), from what I've noticed at 70 shadow is a lot less powerful overall than it was at 60 -- everyone lasts long enough to tear down your defenses. Well, everyone with decent gear.

There's a few good teams in 3v3 running with one (rogue/spriest/mage usually, though there are other combinations that seem to work), but high ranked arenas mean that everyone in the team has to be quite good -- your personal performance may be excellent, but the team might still lose every time if your teammates aren't quite quick enough. Also, the lack of other objectives(flags, nodes, etc) tends to mean that certain class/spec combinations get focus fired straight off, since they're too dangerous to leave alone but very easy to lock down. Spriest would be one of those, and I don't know when it will get better.

Edit: I think part of the solution (at least as far as arena goes) is to pick teammates that are capable of taking the pressure off you -- usually via CC, but preventing them from slowing you down would help too.

YuanTi
23-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Do PvE! ^^

but....that's boring..

Robinvi
23-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Just go with a Affliction Warlock for ezmode rating!

Malakali
23-10-2007, 05:05 PM
But your a great priest :S

YuanTi
23-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Just go with a Affliction Warlock for ezmode rating!

oh how this is overrated,i've gone with three different locks since the arenas came out and yes,we did win some..but not nearly enough,i'd say we had a 50-50 win loss rate..
might be me,or it might be the locks,i dunno

YuanTi
23-10-2007, 05:43 PM
But your a great priest :S

errr,who were you again?

Gnorth
23-10-2007, 07:31 PM
A nublet. I would say that lock + shadowpriest are a great combo, and I've played with you, and your not sucking so get a better warlock :=)

Malakali
23-10-2007, 08:36 PM
You pwned me in arena..among with others im sure

Exting
23-10-2007, 10:49 PM
judging by comments you seem a good priest. so find a decent warlock and get to know how one another plays.. that 50/50 might turn to 80/20.. maybe more. ;)

YuanTi
24-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Robinvi 70 paladin - Retired
Yakumo 70 paladin - Wrath

Greens in BT is fine.

ahh,so you're the one running around on hevn's pally:D

Stim
24-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Warlock+shadow priest steal my arena rating.
nuff said.

Jarelan
24-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Faced a mage warlock shadowpriest 3v3 yesterday and they hurt a lot...so shadowpriests can work, just seems mostly they work in a team of mass DPS and sod healing.

Warlee
24-10-2007, 05:13 PM
get rogue

YuanTi
25-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Faced a mage warlock shadowpriest 3v3 yesterday and they hurt a lot...so shadowpriests can work, just seems mostly they work in a team of mass DPS and sod healing.

ah yes,but here the spriest has a mage who can freeze YOU,and sheep YOU and a lock who can chainfear YOU!
Don't tell me you did'nt go for the spriest first aye?

Jarelan
25-10-2007, 08:17 AM
i couldn't i was permanently frozen or feared :P

Ailith
25-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Frost Mage/Shadow Priest/Warlock is a v nice 3v3 team :o. (pick me!!)

But yea, the priest needs lots of resilience :) We found (with my horde mage) teams do generally go after the SPriest to start with :( But the rest of the team needs to expect it and help him out instead of 'zomg kill kill kill'.

And is the 50/50 win streak after one week playing, or did you play lots together? I found it takes a fair few games for the team to mesh and wins start coming more easily as you get familiar with playing with each other. But you need a team mate who understands it and can accept the loses for a while.

YuanTi
25-10-2007, 09:52 AM
oh i dunno,is 2-3 months long enough?

YuanTi
25-10-2007, 09:52 AM
i couldn't i was permanently frozen or feared :P

lol

Ailith
25-10-2007, 09:59 AM
oh i dunno,is 2-3 months long enough?

Ahh, yea. Took us 2 weeks (around 80 games total) to start becoming a team :(

YuanTi
25-10-2007, 03:18 PM
funny tho,i find lock plus holy priest more effective now that i've gotten used to the build

Stumpet
26-10-2007, 07:51 AM
I play as the warlock with Yuanti and i can with scouts honor say that its not Yuanti thats lacking the skills. For the longest time i was both a keyboard turner and a mouse klicker and didnt get into key binding and macros before after Yuanti was so kind and let me do arena with him. And im still struggeling mostly to apply the rigth pet skills and fears at the rigth moment and the use and writing of macros. And the warlock named Fager is me incase you are wondering.

YuanTi
27-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I play as the warlock with Yuanti and i can with scouts honor say that its not Yuanti thats lacking the skills. For the longest time i was both a keyboard turner and a mouse klicker and didnt get into key binding and macros before after Yuanti was so kind and let me do arena with him. And im still struggeling mostly to apply the rigth pet skills and fears at the rigth moment and the use and writing of macros. And the warlock named Fager is me incase you are wondering.

meh,we did well enough and you are by all means not a bad player fager,maybe i gave it up to quickly but i'm just getting so tired of hearing how imba lock + spriest is supposed to be when that just ain't my experience so far.
it still might just be down to gear for all i know,i'll play as holy for a while now and gather points and honor to get the dps set and then i will try again once i feel i'm sufficently decked out!

YuanTi
09-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Well,a couple of nights back i could'nt take it any longer and respecced back to shadow,went back in with my lock and we ...raised the rating with 300 points:P
Guess that shows me wich specc i know how to play!
Oh and gnorth! i'm on to you! you are Zyn are'nt ya!
anyway,shadow forevah ,peace out!

Gnorth
09-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Well,a couple of nights back i could'nt take it any longer and respecced back to shadow,went back in with my lock and we ...raised the rating with 300 points:P
Guess that shows me wich specc i know how to play!
Oh and gnorth! i'm on to you! you are Zyn are'nt ya!
anyway,shadow forevah ,peace out!

I'm Koy, silly boi :D

Muffy
09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
if you dont want to heal dont make a hybrid.
________
VAPIR OXYGEN REVIEWS (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

Faylin
09-11-2007, 10:21 AM

You sir, are a moron.

Oogie
09-11-2007, 10:23 AM
You sir, are a moron.

HAHAHAHA You could not BE any more correct in this conviction! :D

YuanTi
09-11-2007, 10:34 AM
You sir, are a moron.

seconded!

YuanTi
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm Koy, silly boi :D

i meant Koy,really!

YuanTi
09-11-2007, 10:39 AM

were in my post does it say i don't heal??
Any decent spriest will drop sform and drop out to heal if one of the teammembers is in danger...
that's not what my whine was about!!

Ailith
09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Yea, our team lost a few games until the shadow priest said "Hmm, I'll try dropping Shadow Form and healing when one of us is low next game". We won a *lot* more after that :)

YuanTi
01-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Well,the groove is back!
Shadow is somewhat fun again (waaaaay more fun then the holy/disc ,Disc/holy)
Gear is upgraded,hp went above 12k and resillence popped above 300!
Now i'm just waiting for the arenaladder to stablize..bit annoying to meet a team in full greens first,then an almost full vengeful team then back to the green one and so on:)
So,questions!
Builds,any builds you people favour when doing pvp?
myself i usually go for the 5 points holy,15 disc, 41 shadow or 20 points disc,41 shadow
Im not a big fan of imp manaburn due to the long cast time and the fact that im never left alone to just stand there and nuke anyway,i think i am better of with 3points absolution since offensive dispelling is something i love to do:)
as a shadowpriest wich setup do you use for arenas 2v2 and how well does it work?
Atm im going with a lock and this works fairly well,id like to try with a rogue also someday but no rogues spring to mind that i know off:)
Ive played as a Frostmage with another spriest and this worked ok,not the best setup but once we got ourselfs mics it worked out better as we could time burst and call for help.
All in all im happy with arena again,just wish i could do more. Now im just bored to death from grinding Bgs trying to net as much honor as i could before S3.

YuanTi
06-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh come on,is there no pvp spriest's left on shadowsong?
I've seen you ,yes,you!
So i know you're out there!

(maybe their're just shy!!)

Ailith
07-12-2007, 10:37 AM
My SP is still level 56 :(
Keep meaning to level her, just finding the time.

Was thinking of going http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxGMzbMZZVMGtMtRhtVo at level 70 or similar. Perhaps move martyrdom to max out silent resolve and perhaps Focused Mind to pad out improved inner fire, though not having played at 70 I'm not sure how often inner fire gets dispelled to make imp inner fire worthless.

Most of the builds I've thought of (whether shadow or not) have imp mana burn in. Though I guess this is more useful in larger brackets (5v5 etc) where, perhaps, you're not such an easy target due to the number of players.

But that's just my thoughts, as I said I haven't played as SP at level 70 yet so it's probably not worth much.

YuanTi
07-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Keep martyrdom if you intend to do pvp,that focused casting effect is golden.
imp. manaburn is a matter of taste i guess,as i said i rarely find the time to use it improved or not,dispelling like mad usually destroy all healers but paladins and even these you can pretty much fuck over with a quick massdispel+silence when they bubble!
With shammy's just time your silence to when they're about at 50% health then run upto them and fear as soon as silence wears off..they're more or less all dead if you can pull that combo off,just watch for tremor totem before you fear and throw a damspell before you silence:)

Alorafa
10-12-2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bx0GZfZVMGdMtoGtEo if you want to keep the 5 in holy.
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bx0GkhZZVMGdMtoGtEo if you don't want to.

My 2c on builds =)

However, I never got to arena much with my SP. The few games I got out was in 2v2 with an afflock and 3v3 with the same afflock and a hunter. 1st build worked better for me then.

Corruption
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
My SP is still level 56 :(
Keep meaning to level her, just finding the time.

Was thinking of going http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxGMzbMZZVMGtMtRhtVo at level 70 or similar. Perhaps move martyrdom to max out silent resolve and perhaps Focused Mind to pad out improved inner fire, though not having played at 70 I'm not sure how often inner fire gets dispelled to make imp inner fire worthless.

Most of the builds I've thought of (whether shadow or not) have imp mana burn in. Though I guess this is more useful in larger brackets (5v5 etc) where, perhaps, you're not such an easy target due to the number of players.

But that's just my thoughts, as I said I haven't played as SP at level 70 yet so it's probably not worth much.

Met two teams in 2v2 yesterday. One was priest/hunter and the other spriest/lock and both teams managed to annihilate the paladin I play with's mana. Goes to show mana burn is effective no matter what bracket your in (especially if you have a viper stinger or drainer manaerer with you).

YuanTi
10-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Met two teams in 2v2 yesterday. One was priest/hunter and the other spriest/lock and both teams managed to annihilate the paladin I play with's mana. Goes to show mana burn is effective no matter what bracket your in (especially if you have a viper stinger or drainer manaerer with you).

never said it was'nt effective,just that i found it hard to pull off ,at a a decent rating people seems to hear manaburn connect once and then they start pillar hugging like mad.
:(

YuanTi
17-08-2008, 03:50 PM
So,i came back after 3-4 months,i've since respecced into deep disc and gathered some decent +heal gear,atm i'm standing at 13k+ hp,10.5k int and above 450 ress.
Anyone want to make a 3 v 3?:)
Either that or i'd respecc back to shadow and play 2 v 2 if i could find a decent lock /rogue partner:)
also my orc warlock is currently lvl 69 soon to be hitting the Bg's,dang locks are overpowered when i compare him to my priest yet i still find my priest more fun to play:)