View Full Version : Playing as Fire

Ailith
13-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Hiya,
I decided to respec to fire last night for some fun. Haven't played as fire since before TBC (always been frost since then). Though before the talent changes I used to be elemental.

Anyways, I've put 48 points in fire and the rest in frost. Though, after playing as fire for a few games, I think those points would have helped better in arcane. I was tempted to go PoM Pyro, but I wanted dragons breath because I've never had it before. :)

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any tips on playing as fire. It does seem to play very differently as frost and I miss IB way more than I thought I would. Rogues + warriors have gone up in difficulty, but other mages, priests and locks seem to have gone down in difficulty (though no IB to remove dots is a pain).

I dont seem to use fireball too much, and pyro is *very* rare. Mostly seems lots of scorch spam + fireblast.

I first thought Dragons Breath was just another attack but, after playing, it seems most useful when used as an aggressive defensive move (followed by scorch, FireBlast combo). Also due to DB and CoC being on the same cooldown, I tend to use blastwave as a kiting tool to slow them down rather than CoC. Though so far, I guess I've used it 50/50 as kiting tool/attack.

Will try a few arena games as fire for fun too, over the weekend. But will spec back to frost whenever I land a serious arena team. Just wondered if anyone had any tips or comments on playing as fire or how to actually setup a talent build.

Thrudeln
13-09-2007, 11:22 AM
If u have 40+ tpoints in fire, there's only crappy stuff in the other talent trees...if ur fire/frost u should have 0/30/31(imba elemental specc), or if u have 40+ pts, its better to put more pts in the fire tree.

Check this..I havent been fire for like months, but i think i played this specc when i was fire pvp.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZEgGzfsIReRt0h

Kathra
14-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Heh, depending on whatever your aims are in arena.

My old(still active) 3on3 team runs a Fire Mage/Afflic Lock/Resto druid combo, works very nicely for us. Since two are hardcore PvErs, reaching 1700+ = NP's

Phanthastic
15-09-2007, 07:44 PM
When i was fire i had the very common 10/48/3.

Some classes gets easier, some gets harder as you've noticed yourself :)

Depending on what ur spec is used for, pve/pvp talents can be swapped around. For pvp you could prolly skip points in arcane and get 5/5 Impact(Molten Armor gogo!), Improved Fireblast and Blazing speed(not sure if thats the correct name), which is very nice when it procs. The good thing about deep fire (DB etc) compared to e.g pom pyro spec is you can at times use blastwave and db more than 1 time in a fight, whereas with the pom+pyro you are very dependant on a crit and the 3 min cooldown on pom.

Oogie
23-09-2007, 09:34 PM
As MM says, 10/48/3 is very good to use as a fire mage. You get clearcast spell every now and then, plus you get a pretty imba fireball, depends on what you use the 48 on as you can go for blazing speed and impact, which means you can run faster for a short time and/or stun your target. Comes in handy in PvP, but can be removed by trinks.

I find that stun procs quite a bit. Also, the last 3 in frost as you will get cheaper spells, which is also good for mana conservation.

Torchwood
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I play very heavy fire-specced (1/57/3) purely 'cos I like the talents. I'm sure it's not 'recommended' in any way, but it works for me. YMMV.:)