View Full Version : Need pc help! :(

Aggromedon
09-09-2007, 08:22 AM
So, I woke up this morning and I tried to start my pc, but it didn't boot as normal, and it gave me the choice between : Safe Mode, Last Known Working Configuration, and launch Windows normally. I tried all of it, but he keeps restarting, giving me the selection screen, and over and over again, so basicly, I doesn't start.
Has anyone had this problem, or do you know how to solve it, please post. :(

Lemage
09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I had, i got mien reinstalled

Oogie
09-09-2007, 09:18 AM
My friend had a similar issue, his motherboard had fried, replaced it, seems ok. His HDD is still knackered though.

Limbo
09-09-2007, 09:33 AM
It's normally a HDD problem, get a HDD from a friend or put yours in his/her system and see if that boots but Oogie is right it could be a few issues, but the HDD is what you should check first.

JeFF
09-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Have had the same problem and it was caused by a faulty RAM stick in my case.

Lednar
09-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Get a Linux Live CD and run it. Then see what's causing the trouble :)

If it still keeps restarting then do what Limbo said. Cause I think that's what troubles most people with that problem.

Asura
09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
It's normally a HDD problem, get a HDD from a friend or put yours in his/her system and see if that boots but Oogie is right it could be a few issues, but the HDD is what you should check first.

I had exactly that as well.

Thrane
09-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Have had the same problem and it was caused by a faulty RAM stick in my case.

That's usually the best to look at first. Easiest to test too if you have two sticks.

Hevn
09-09-2007, 03:23 PM
If you're going to check out your RAM or HDD, I can only suggest this:

Surf to your HDD's manufacturer's website and download their diagnostics tool. They usually help you run different levels of tests, including low level formats if you're desperate. They're all windows programs these days though, so see if you can get a hold of a version that you can boot from floppy or CD-ROM.

Same for the RAM: download Memtest, write to a CD or floppy and boot from that.

It's a great way to test your hardware without having to mess around too much.

Ammanna
09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
As fun as all these stories of doom and gloom are, he solved it with a simple chkdsk /r from the recovery console. :p

miganto
10-09-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm surprised no-one said the cpu was the bottleneck...seems to be the 'solution' to every pc error i see. :P

Thrane
10-09-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm surprised no-one said the cpu was the bottleneck...seems to be the 'solution' to every pc error i see. :P

You realise a bottleneck is something slowing down the rest of the pc due to not being on par with the rest of the hardware, right? :P

miganto
10-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, but honest, it's a bottleneck, info couldnt get to the HD and stuff because of the neck having a bottle in hit, honest guv. Change the cpu!

Hevn
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
As fun as all these stories of doom and gloom are, he solved it with a simple chkdsk /r from the recovery console. :p

See, I'm gullible enough to assume that people have tried that already :(