View Full Version : BigWigs or DBM

Arjen
30-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Not sure myself. I currently use DBM and I haven't really had any glaring problems with it - to my limited knowledge.

is it worth me switching over to BigWigs? If so, why?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Polled it too, just for curiosity, to see what people use.

Gyundor
30-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I use DBM no specific reason why. I did remember that BW used to play the FF7 victory music when you killed a boss thats always good to hear :P

Valoran
30-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I use both.

Bunneh
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Currently DBM, not tried the other.

flyto1
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
IMHO,

Advantages of BigWigs:

- BossBlocker (remove the spam of other peoples' announces)
- Timer bars that are about to expire get moved to a different location for "pay attention now"
- Allows you to use LittleWigs, for saving PuGs in 5-mans.
- Ace2

Advantages of DBM:

- Battleground timers
- Custom timer bars that can be fired from macros (or manually) and broadcast to the whole raid (if the whole raid has DBM).
- Automatic replies to whispers during boss fights (with optional status updates)
- Tells you how long a fight took (ok, so that's not useful, but hey)

So in most important respects, they do the same. As an individual, use whichever your guild mostly uses, because both of them do sync with themselves but, AFAIK, don't sync with each other.
As a guild, if you're deciding which to use... Having used both I have a slight preference for bigwigs, but others may disagree. Especially if you forsee good uses for using your own custom timers.

Psonica
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I use both.
Same, where is our option?

Elexin
02-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Same, where is our option?
Granted ;)

Valoran
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
So in most important respects, they do the same. As an individual, use whichever your guild mostly uses, because both of them do sync with themselves but, AFAIK, don't sync with each other.
As a guild, if you're deciding which to use... Having used both I have a slight preference for bigwigs, but others may disagree. Especially if you forsee good uses for using your own custom timers.
Yes and no. They do the same thing, but in some fights neither mod gives you the full picture. For example bigwigs has a cooldown for thaladreds gaze ability (so you can have some idea on when it's safe to hit him, or whatever), while dbm does not. DBM gives you a handy frame for the naj'entus encounter, telling you when there's someone below the 8500 hp buffer required to survive bursting his shield. Also, for some strange reason, neither mod has enrage timers for all the fights that can enrage, yet between them, they have most things covered.

Lionhunter
02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Used DBM, switched to BW for ease of update. In most fights I liked the way DBM really took you by the hand and guided you safely through your journey. BW seems to have less alerts and basically you have to think a bit yourself. Not sure if that is such a bad thing though, and I can handle it most of the time :p