View Full Version : Heal Talent Selection

Ailith
15-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Hiya,
Currently leveling my priest to 70, my intent was always to spec her holy when she reaches 65+ or so. Basically as our guild has few priests so it'd be nice to have a char available to help people + do raids. Using shadow for leveling atm (dont we all? :p) and don't know much about healing (yea, I've healed instances but never specced holy).

A first look at the talent trees I ended up with the following talent build with very little thought really:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxThzhMzZfbtcf0qVhV

I was wondering if anyone could suggest improvements or complete redesign? :)

Some things I wasn't quite sure of:

The 2 points in holy specialization are basically just fillers, I didn't choose blessed recovery as I hope I dont get critted much in instances >.< and not sure how often spell damage mitigation will be needed in the future so didn't see spell warding as particularly useful either.

I placed holy nova as filler + topping up after fortitude >.< It seems a pretty expensive heal really, although you heal a few people it doesn't heal them each for much. Wasn't even going to take it, but not much else to put points into as far as i could see.

Healing prayers I skipped, doesn't seem like prayer of healing etc. is used often enough for this to be worth spending points in?

Didn't take lightwell.....

Didn't put circle of healing in there, no experience with it, but it seems it's just pretty similar to prayer of healing. Though I guess I'm missing something about it, as it's a 41 point talent...

The rest I put in discipline, some points are mostly fillers to get divine spirit for utility.

Any input would be appreciated, would like to be a useful healer as I level :o

[Edit]: And duh, the topic title should be "Holy Talent Selection" >.<

Smellyskele
15-08-2007, 11:29 AM
imp mana burn pft. :) mental agility is better since u got PW:S, prayer of mending, renew, dispell as instant spells that u use for healing. i never took holy nova and holy reach cus holy nova uses alot of mana. instead if put them in holy spec cus crit heals are nice and procs inspiration.

if ur only doing raids then silent resolve isnt worth it. i seem to not get any aggro in there enless the tank dies. tho it does help alot in 5mans where ur tank is tanking more than 1 mob

Faylin
15-08-2007, 12:12 PM

The 2 points in holy specialization are basically just fillers, I didn't choose blessed recovery as I hope I dont get critted much in instances >.< and not sure how often spell damage mitigation will be needed in the future so didn't see spell warding as particularly useful either.
Indeed, you don;t need blessed recovery for PvE. Spell Warding is nice since you;re a low stamina class, and most damage you will take will be spell damage. You'll find out yourself eventually if you want to go for it or not.

I placed holy nova as filler + topping up after fortitude >.< It seems a pretty expensive heal really, although you heal a few people it doesn't heal them each for much. Wasn't even going to take it, but not much else to put points into as far as i could see.
It's very occasional, might be worth a point if you can spare. It;s an AoE damage spell too ofcourse, but for the usual healing job you will never need it.

Healing prayers I skipped, doesn't seem like prayer of healing etc. is used often enough for this to be worth spending points in?
It also works for Prayer of Mending though, which you -will- use a lot

Didn't put circle of healing in there, no experience with it, but it seems it's just pretty similar to prayer of healing. Though I guess I'm missing something about it, as it's a 41 point talent...
It's instant cast...

The rest I put in discipline, some points are mostly fillers to get divine spirit for utility.
If you take divine spirit for utility (which is good, but might want to check with other priests in your guild, not -everyone- needs to have it) go for improved DS too....

(and indeed skip imp mana burn, skip improved PW:S and go for mental agility)

Faylin
15-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Indeed, you don;t need blessed recovery for PvE. Spell Warding is nice since you;re a low stamina class, and most damage you will take will be spell damage. You'll find out yourself eventually if you want to go for it or not.

It's very occasional, might be worth a point if you can spare. It;s an AoE damage spell too ofcourse, but for the usual healing job you will never need it.

It's instant cast...

If you take divine spirit for utility (which is good, but might want to check with other priests in your guild, not -everyone- needs to have it) go for improved DS too....

(and indeed skip imp mana burn, skip improved PW:S and go for mental agility)

Most healing priest builds are either 23/38 (improved Divine Spirit) or 20/41 (circle of healing.

Ailith
15-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Oh ok, dont have mending yet so maybe i should wait a few more levels and think more about it.

It's instant cast...

Aha, yes I didn't realise that >.<

Most healing priest builds are either 23/38 (improved Divine Spirit) or 20/41 (circle of healing.

AFAIK we dont have *any* holy or disc specced priests atm, though that might be different by the time I reach level 70.

Taking into account the above posts how about this revised one: 23/38/0

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxMhkhxzbZfxxcc0qVhc

And if I dont need DS, take 3 points and fill out empowered healing & circle of healing?

Thanks for the input :)

captpicard
15-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I'd put the points in shield and absolution into SR.
But thats a pure personal prefference.

Ailith
15-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd put the points in shield and absolution into SR

Yea, thinking about it it that seems a more sensible place for the talents :o

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxT0zhxzbZfxxcc0qVhc

Then :D

Faylin
16-08-2007, 09:34 AM
And voila there's your cookiecutter 23/38 :P