View Full Version : I got bored!

Gumdrops
05-08-2007, 03:45 AM
So I tinkered with the titles and descriptions of our forums.

I also merged the Trade and Professions forum into one forum since I felt like tidying the place up!

As a side note, if there's anything that you feel could be improved with the forum, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're willing to give stuff a go if there's enough interest, so get posting! :P

miganto
05-08-2007, 03:50 AM
I know i asked for this once already but..... :P

Any chance of a 'sse raid progression' thread like we have, but also, stickied too, a 'sse raid progression drama' thread?

Reading through 4 or 5 pages of 'you beat us so i will think of stupid reasons as to why we are still better' posts just to see what some people have really done is annoying....imo. At least this way we'll still have the drama...just..in it's own cosy thread just a little below (well..above as i'm sure it'll get bumped more ;)) the main thread :)

Gumdrops
05-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Well I've kinda let the TBC raid progess thread to eat itself alive mainly because of the new feature Turiel added.

From this page (http://www.shadowsongeurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=41) (<click) you can see the raid progression on it's own.

It's quite dificult to keep the spam/drama out of that thread as you can appreciate as it'd spring back in as soon as we (re)move it :P Sorry that there's not much else we can do!

miganto
05-08-2007, 05:14 AM
I dunno, i'm sure people here are mature enough to post in the correct thread if you made a seperate one.

Hmm..ok..maybe not.. ;)

Valoran
05-08-2007, 05:28 AM
If it's asked of them, it's then up to the moderation team to sort that out. That's one of the reasons it hasn't been, though.

There's pretty much no real reason to split the thread up however, if the extra stuff offends you - don't visit the thread. The information is easily available through the raid progress feature linked above.

miganto
05-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Well yeah, i dont really have a photographic memory, so i'd have to screenshot everytime i go there just so i can see any difference as the main page feature only gives the past 5 kills, and some days there are more.

I wasnt offended by it at all, it's just that is is a thread for progression, not for drama because kiddies enjoy whining.

If you want to be pedantic Val, they should rename the thread, as it's officially the progress thread, purely for that, progress reports.

Your replies always seem so degrading somehow. I never mentioned it offending me, yet you thought the need to say if it did, dont visit it (thankyou for your permission, i was waiting for it). That's not a good solution at all really. I'm asking politely if something could be done about it, not demanding or whinging.

Oh, and ofc, if this post offends you, or anything else you ever read in your life, do not visit that text again. Whether you want to or not, i'm demanding you don't, just like you did.

Valoran
05-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Well yeah, i dont really have a photographic memory, so i'd have to screenshot everytime i go there just so i can see any difference as the main page feature only gives the past 5 kills, and some days there are more.

I wasnt offended by it at all, it's just that is is a thread for progression, not for drama because kiddies enjoy whining.

If you want to be pedantic Val, they should rename the thread, as it's officially the progress thread, purely for that, progress reports.

Your replies always seem so degrading somehow. I never mentioned it offending me, yet you thought the need to say if it did, dont visit it (thankyou for your permission, i was waiting for it). That's not a good solution at all really. I'm asking politely if something could be done about it, not demanding or whinging.

Oh, and ofc, if this post offends you, or anything else you ever read in your life, do not visit that text again. Whether you want to or not, i'm demanding you don't, just like you did.
If you want degrading, go reread your first post in this thread. Everyone posting in the raid progress thread is bitter about people being better than them. There's also the part where you sit yourself on the mature pedestal and complain about the kiddies diluting the information you need. As someone who quite enjoys keeping up to tabs on interguild relationships (more commonly known as drama, this is a community forum afterall), I really don't see the issue with the thread at all and would like to repeat the if you don't like it don't read it part.

You were obviously offended enough, however, by having to read so much information superfluous to your requirements that you felt motivated to post (twice, no less), but the fact remains that there's really no reason to have more than two topics for the same thing, especially when part of the sse portal also covers raid progress - three stones for one bird, so to speak. The information is there, you're just not getting access to it in exactly the way you want.

I'm not sure you understand the logistics behind the two topic solution you're asking for either, for mods to put an ongoing effort to keep the both topics on track and filter stuff you deem inappropriate out of each topic would take a fair bit of work.

A more appropriate one-time-fix solution, maybe, would be for a slight recoding of the raid progress feature to allow an on demand print out of logs, a simple chronological listing of who killed what, so people only interested in reading about guilds x, y and z killing new stuff can drink their fill without gorging their eyes on the wonderful steamy filth that is the raid progress thread.

(You have my permission to take offense at this post because you're a paladin main tank, and thus permissible as comedy - that's what your dislike is really about, right? :) Nothing to do with the fact you already set the negative tone on the situation.)

On another note, depending on what comes of this thread, I could maybe make the modifications given the code to introduce such a feature as detailed above.

miganto
05-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Or possibly make the front page raid tracker thingy go from 5 to 10?

Oh, and can you quote where i said 'everyone posting is bitter' in my post? :/

Seperating the drama from the guild progress is easy and mods wouldnt have to do anything if people just clicked on the right thread. But, seen as it's unlikely they will (as you'll agree as you think they need moderating) then yes, logistically, it'll be a nightmare, as i agreed above your post.

No, i really am not offended, just wondering if something more efficient could be put in place.

Thankyou for your permission, but i didnt take offense this time. Yes being a paladin tank makes me permissible as comedy to some people (until our health buff which is coming 'soon' \o/), and no, nothing to do with me setting the -ve tone, because 'i' think 'you' set the -ve tone ;)

/lick

Valoran
05-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Well, yeah, but that would kinda muck up the whole frame, there's only room for 5.

miganto
05-08-2007, 06:41 AM
How about making it 5 deep, but 2 columns? There seems to be room on the right hand side of the initial 5.

Is your idea viable? *on demand print out*

Valoran
05-08-2007, 06:50 AM
How about making it 5 deep, but 2 columns? There seems to be room on the right hand side of the initial 5.
Taking a current entry, as an example of a long one.
2007-08-01 22:00:: Morogrim by Ordo Templi DraconisThat takes up more than half the fixed width space. Anything else would make it seem crowded imo.
Is your idea viable? *on demand print out*
Yup, just depends on how the current system has been implemented. It might require a lot of work, which isn't something I'm personally prepared to do for such a small (and personally unimportant) change. Then again, the function is obviously there to call the top 5, so adding a top 10, 25, 50, 174.2, whatever to open in a popup shouldn't actually be too bothersome.

Anyway, onto more important changes. URL highlighting, when's that happening? :p

Über
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
So I tinkered with the titles and descriptions of our forums.

While you're at it, fix the alliance & horde part of the forums as the current description says "Alliance: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnomes" and "Horde: Tauren, Orc, Undead, Troll".

Gumdrops
05-08-2007, 08:35 AM
While you're at it, fix the alliance & horde part of the forums as the current description says "Alliance: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnomes" and "Horde: Tauren, Orc, Undead, Troll".

Ok I didn't go that far down, no one posts there -_-

Elexin
05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I dunno, i'm sure people here are mature enough to post in the correct thread if you made a seperate one.

What... you mean... the way people talk about their opinions of who people rank in the "Best of the Best" topic in the "Lets talk about: Best of the Best" thread?

Oh yes, I've seen how well that works...

If it's asked of them, it's then up to the moderation team to sort that out. That's one of the reasons it hasn't been, though.

As above, I don't believe for a moment if there were a separate thread, someone would go to it... past experience has shown me this. So yeah, it would be up to us (or more likely, for that thread, to me) to pull the drama out and lock it in its own cage.
I'm not entirely sure I'd find it a great joy to go through threads every few days or so to see how much offtopic stuff people have posted in them, to make continual amounts of separate threads, and then attempt to Merge them together.
And no... I couldn't do it at the time. You saw how fast that thread moved last night.

Also - Gum - 'Areans' isn't how you spell 'Arenas' ;)

JeFF
05-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Theres a typo in the PvP Discussion forums description:
Battlegrounds, Areans and duels outside Ironforge or Orgrimmar

HUGE MISTAKE! REMOVE GUM AS A MOD!

miganto
05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Elex, read the next line, i realised my mistake ;D

Fithvael
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Remove Off Topic, alternatively merge all the shit threads into a giant one. Or at least create a 'Youtube' and 'I-thought-this-was-fairly-amusing-but-not-a-Youtube-link-or-that-amusing-but-I'll-post-it-anyway' threads, thanks.

Abberare
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Aye stickied k lael is needed.

Gumdrops
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey man it was 4am or something. Give me a break, give me a kitkat.. mmm kitkat.

Anyway, fixed.. Happy now?!

Flawless
05-08-2007, 10:10 PM
New forum for the expansion!

Gnorth
07-08-2007, 12:40 PM
:} Beardman approves this.

Valoran
07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
URL HIGHLIGHTING! (http://jaexisucks.com)
Yes.

Gumdrops
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
URL HIGHLIGHTING! (http://jaexisucks.com)
Yes.

Good point. I'll go fiddle some CSS.

pegastud
08-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Since we only care about lootz. Can't you implement smthing that whenever some guild killz a new boss they can upload their own screenshot with it.

And the most recent kills i would lik if I could see more then 5 if i wanted to, since some days suddenly 7-8 die for the first time for different guilds.

Flawless
08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Since we only care about lootz. Can't you implement smthing that whenever some guild killz a new boss they can upload their own screenshot with it.

Like this for instance,

http://images.ukcs.net/12145/sse.JPG

Valoran
08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Which doesn't work currently.

Flawless
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
ah ha, didn't know if it did or not as I never bothered to try it.

It shouldn't be that hard to fix it?

Valoran
08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
/shrug, ask turiel.

Pretty sure he said he was working on it a while back.

pegastud
09-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Which doesn't work currently.

And which I didnt know since i don't own a guild.

Turiel
09-08-2007, 08:50 AM
If anyone wants to complete the code i'll send them the file.

Alverion
09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Send it along, no promises, but I have free time atm : b

alverion@gmail.com