View Full Version : I am in need of a network shark!

Eisenheim
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
So.. I got this weird problem with my newly wired network..

We changed ISP and by doing so our "modem" got moved to another part of the house, i then bought a Linksys router and placed it in the middle of the house and wired up from the "modem" to the router and from the router out to 3 different PCs.

The problem occured when i connected my newly crimped cables, there is no connection at all, i checked, doublechecked and trippelchecked, all the wires are alinged correctly in both ends at all cables, white/orange -> orange -> white/green -> blue -> white/blue -> green -> white/brown -> brown.

There isnt any activity in either the PCs LED nor the routers LEDs.

I tried with another cable i used to connect my PC to the "modem", and it works with that cable, so it would seem like defective cables, but i somehow doubt that i had made 4 faulty cables, im not THAT bad at it :)

I dont have one of those fancy testers and im running out of RJ45 plugs :(

So throw me a bone here if you have any clue what i might have done wrong or might be wrong!

Goonerr
02-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Sounds like you might be trying to use the wrong cables, As you say its very unlikely you bought 4 duff wires, Or other than that you have them plugged in the wrong order, Shouldnt it be :

white/orange -> orange -> white/green -> Green -> white/blue -> Blue -> white/brown -> brown.

Maybe the green and blue?

Im not an expert on networks but i do have basic understanding.

Vegelus
02-08-2007, 08:17 AM
No, it shouldn't.

http://www.pccitizen.com/RJ45.gif

Maybe Your cable was damaged somehow? Only thing that comes to my mind atm.

Decebalus
02-08-2007, 09:30 AM
i may be mistaking, but to me it seems that you would need crossover cable(s)...

usually the cable that connects the modem to the computer is a crossover cable (pairs 1-2 and 3-6 are switched) and that one seems to work for you...

Eisenheim
02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Finally! i just redid all the cables, BUT i tried with the T-568A color coding instead of the B version which i always used before, and now it all works!

So thanks for the inputs, was driving me nuts :)

tin
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
You must have some different cables this time then :)

grats on level one network technitian *prize* :D

-Tin

Limbo
02-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Finally! i just redid all the cables, BUT i tried with the T-568A color coding instead of the B version which i always used before, and now it all works!

So thanks for the inputs, was driving me nuts :)

Yes "B" is more of an American and less common version, "A" is more widely used in UK and Europe I believe or the other way around :)