View Full Version : Hmm Laptop

Muh
30-07-2007, 11:42 AM
So I'd like to get a laptop. But since I don't really know what I should expect to get for a certain price I could use some help.

Basically I'd want to spend around €700-€800, could be a bit more if that would give me a big upgrade for a small amount of money.

So if some people could give some suggestions about what I could expect for that or even show me a place where I could buy one and get it delivered where I live (Being ze Netherlands). That would be great ^_^

(I want to be able to play WoW on it decently but it's mostly for school stuff next to that and it would be nice if I could actually carry it around and the battery wouldn't die after just one hour :p)

Faylin
30-07-2007, 11:44 AM
How portable would it have to be Muh. And do you actually intend to work a lot while travelling, or are you just gonna use it as a PC you can easily drag from place to place?

(Since laptops come in a lot of sizes and weights, and obviously smaller and lighter = more expensive)

Muh
30-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Well I'm going to a university next year and I'd like to be able to take it there on atleast a weekly basis but next to that it won't involve a lot of travelling, so just a pc I could drag around yeah

Faylin
30-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Well there are so many models it's hard to give a simple advice.

Given your budget and wishes I'd watch the following:
- make sure the laptop has enough RAM, WoW loves RAM, aim for 2GB
- make sure the laptop has a seperate (not onboard) video card
- I would go for an Intel Core Duo processor
- buy a laptop from a proper brand. Unlike PC's parts of latops are often not interchangeable, so you'll want to have a stable brand for the sake of warranty, repair and possible future upgrades. good brands include IBM, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Fujitsu. (and for me personally in that order :))

Laptop screen sizes vary from 12 to 17 inch, with screens around 15 inch being the most common, and often also the cheapest. The 12 inch versions are the "ultra light" or whatever name it gets versions, and relatively expensive, the 17 inch versions are basically small PC's. With your budget and wishes I'd aim for a 15 inch model.

You can either order a laptop on the internet or go visit a store. Mediamarkt has a lot of models, it's a crap store (don't expect the personnel to even know the simplest of things about it) but it's a great store to watch and feel em (and do like I do and bend the frame to see if it's sturdy ;)).
A good question you can ask in a store when som e dude (it's usually a dude :P) tries to sell you something expensive is to simply ask "why would I need that" or ask "what does this more expensive model do that the cheaper one can't"
Go out and check some models and feel free to post a model you like, and I'll gladly comment it ;)

Arjen
30-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Well there are so many models it's hard to give a simple advice.

Given your budget and wishes I'd watch the following:
- make sure the laptop has enough RAM, WoW loves RAM, aim for 2GB
- make sure the laptop has a seperate (not onboard) video card
- I would go for an Intel Core Duo processor
- buy a laptop from a proper brand. Unlike PC's parts of latops are often not interchangeable, so you'll want to have a stable brand for the sake of warranty, repair and possible future upgrades. good brands include IBM, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Fujitsu. (and for me personally in that order :))

:o Can you get all that 800 euros? :o

Faylin
30-07-2007, 12:22 PM
In al honesty, probably not. But playing WoW with less then 2GB ram is unpleasant, playing it with an onboard video card (using your own RAM!) would suck.

An AMD model might be an option to get the budget tighter, but meh, especially for a laptop I'd go for Intel.
Aiming for a 'cheaper' brand, like Acer could be an option too, but wouldn;t be my personal choice either.

Muh
30-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah it's what I've ran into too.
I'd like a laptop with those specs though, but if I can't for that money would it be cheaper to buy a cheaper laptop to do basic desktop stuff and buy a new PC for homestuff? Because my current PC is rather outdated so I thought I might aswell get a laptop with specs I could use as my primary pc too.

Arjen
30-07-2007, 12:45 PM
What about refurb'ed laptops? Worthwhile at all? :/

Slashy
30-07-2007, 12:48 PM
i wna swap my pc for a pretty decent laptop tbh.. i dont really need my 400+fps in wow anymore ;o

dont go buying a "lolvistareadylaptop" if it only has 1gb ram in it.. vista is a ram whore

Limbo
30-07-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126341/rb/0 Seems to tick most of the boxes, it's slightly less RAM but I play with 1gb RAM and have no problems.

I found this after 2 minutes of browsing so there should be better bargains around maybe?

I would install XP on it straight away anway

Lednar
30-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Seems fine except one thing: Hide from Vista plx >_<
And I'd advise you to follow what Beatus said. Most of what I would look for stands there so :)

Faylin
30-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah it's what I've ran into too.
I'd like a laptop with those specs though, but if I can't for that money would it be cheaper to buy a cheaper laptop to do basic desktop stuff and buy a new PC for homestuff? Because my current PC is rather outdated so I thought I might aswell get a laptop with specs I could use as my primary pc too.

- Well a very basic laptop would cost about 600 euros.
- A basic PC capable of playing WoW (somewhat decent atleast) would start at 700 (including a TFT screen)
- A laptop suitable for moderate gaming (WoW) would cost about 1000 euros.

So I guess a decent laptop would still be cheaper then a cheap laptop + cheap PC. but a desktop PC will ofcourse always give more bang for the buck.

Most uni's have decent computer rooms, you really sure you'll need a laptop?

Faylin
30-07-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126341/rb/0 Seems to tick most of the boxes, it's slightly less RAM but I play with 1gb RAM and have no problems.

I found this after 2 minutes of browsing so there should be better bargains around maybe?

I would install XP on it straight away anway

900 pounds is far, far over her 800 euro budget though ;)

(and agreed, if you're running out of budget, 1GB is an option.)

wallaballa
30-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I am also browsing the web to buy a laptop (also going to university soon), i came across this shop (yes its german, but delivers anywhere in europe i think). Especially this Laptop (it costs a bit more) seems to have the stuff it needs to play up2date games.

Link: http://www.one.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=131&manufacturers_id=&products_id=2200

Kinshara
30-07-2007, 01:01 PM

Such a pity IBM don't make laptops anymore :(

Faylin
30-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Such a pity IBM don't make laptops anymore :(

Aye, I have to admit I'm not sure if the quality standards have stayed the same since they were taken over by Lenovo. THe name sure sounds cheaper :(

Muh
30-07-2007, 01:07 PM
- Well a very basic laptop would cost about 600 euros.
- A basic PC capable of playing WoW (somewhat decent atleast) would start at 700 (including a TFT screen)
- A laptop suitable for moderate gaming (WoW) would cost about 1000 euros.

So I guess a decent laptop would still be cheaper then a cheap laptop + cheap PC. but a desktop PC will ofcourse always give more bang for the buck.

Most uni's have decent computer rooms, you really sure you'll need a laptop?

Hmm guess laptop is the way to go then.

And technically I don't need one at all but when I went to check out what I'm gonna be studying a lot of the students that did it and did have a laptop said they were happy they had one.

I'll have to see if I can get my parents to put in a bit more money >.>

Slashy
30-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Sell Your Bodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Muh
30-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Sell Your Bodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

200 pounds for my lefthand pink's nail

Adranus
30-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I have an Acer Aspire 5650, and it cost me £700 im not sure how much of a difference it is in your currency, but i have tonnes of Mods and the spec is up high and it runs at 50FPS which is more than you need, the human eye can only see around 30, it has a good spec and nice ram.

but if its a bit expensive then there are some Acer Models a little lower, my dad bought one for £400 and it ran WoW with all the mods i have but on medium spec, im not sure what model it is but i can find otu when i go home.

Faylin
30-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I have an Acer Aspire 5650, and it cost me £700 im not sure how much of a difference it is in your currency

x 1,48, so 1036 euros.

Muh
30-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Well one of the things that I'll probably need is videomemory not being shared.
But I haven't seen any laptops under 1000 euros so far that had that. I was hoping there maybe was some I was missing but I guess that's just not gonna happen :p

Kinshara
30-07-2007, 04:53 PM
WoW apparently runs fine on normal macbooks, which have integrated graphics. But it will be better with discrete graphics, and you'll be able to run other games that are more demanding should you wish to do so.

Faylin
30-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I think it's possible Muh. Here's a few examples. Most models have 1GB of RAM, but it usually easy to expand that to 2GB, and this can ofcourse be done on later aswell.
(but make sure to check if the lptop has free memory slots, so that you won;t have to replace models to expand the memory)

Toshiba
http://www.mycom.nl/Products/View/Toshiba_Satellite_A100812__T2250/139328.aspx#Specs

Asus
http://www.mycom.nl/Products/View/ASUS_Z53SCAP085CT7100/147221.aspx#Specs

and Dell has the Inspiron 1520 for around €950

Ñightrain
30-07-2007, 04:57 PM
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4431/rednecklaptop725904rl7.jpg

Faylin
30-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Basically Muh, best thing you can do is just walk into a decent PC store nearby, look and ask around, explain what you plan on doing with it, write down the model name and post it here.
Make sure you check the build quality of the laptop, some are much sturdier then others, check the weight, check if it's noisy or not and ideally check how warm the laptop gets.

Prices tend to vary a -lot- for notebooks, I've seen differences in price of over €150 for a €1000 model between stores.

(oh and tell em you want one that has a videocard with dedicated (not shared) RAM. Look very serious and selfconcious when doing so, and the guy will probably change the tone of his selling speech, since he won't suspect a girl asking for that ;))

Muh
30-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Well where I live we've only got like 1 computer store and it's not known for being cheap but I'll have a look around there.

Also me being a specs nub, what's exactly the difference that makes the Toshiba you linked 150 euros cheaper than the Asus(I can see a few differences ofcourse but is that all that causes it?). Or is that just because it's a different brand with different prices?

Faylin
30-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Well where I live we've only got like 1 computer store and it's not known for being cheap but I'll have a look around there.
I didn't say you had to actually buy it there ;)
But it's nice to actually check out a couple of models for real rather then just comparing pick on the intarwebz.

Also me being a specs nub, what's exactly the difference that makes the Toshiba you linked 150 euros cheaper than the Asus(I can see a few differences ofcourse but is that all that causes it?). Or is that just because it's a different brand with different prices?
The Asus has a bit faster processor and videocard (and build in webcam in case you like that) but I'd say the Toshiba is good enough aswell for what you plan on doing with it.

Both are decent and reliable brands so that;s not really an issue.

Faylin
30-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Here's a review for the Dell inspiron 1520, which you can't buy in a store, cause Dell sells on internet only.
But it does perform quite well for a laptop in that price range (basic model is about €950)

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3821&review=Dell+Inspiron+1520

Also, Dell has a professional version of it, called the Vostro 1500, which has almost the same specs, but is a bit simplied (meaning it has less shit you won't need anyway).
It's offically for companies only, but it seems you can order as a consumer aswell.
It costs €897 if you take the version with 2GB of RAM.

A big advantage of Dell is that you can configure each model to your own wishes (but although basic models at Dell are often cheap "upgrades" are foten expenive, so be warned ;))
Check this forumthread (in Dutch) for discussion about it: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1232330

Earthmonk
30-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I got a Dell XPS off ebay a few months ago for £400 (about 600 euro), brand new, unwanted gift from a reputable seller.

Specs:

- Intel core 2 duo processor 1.83 ghz x2
- 2gb ram
- 256mb nvida graphics card
- 15" screen
- Vista business

I recommend ebay though in getting a cheap laptop, lots of good deals, most are refurbished (luckily this was brand new) but still in great condition.

Muh
30-07-2007, 07:55 PM
I got a Dell XPS off ebay a few months ago for £400 (about 600 euro), brand new, unwanted gift from a reputable seller.

Specs:

- Intel core 2 duo processor 1.83 ghz x2
- 2gb ram
- 256mb nvida graphics card
- 15" screen
- Vista business

I recommend ebay though in getting a cheap laptop, lots of good deals, most are refurbished (luckily this was brand new) but still in great condition.

Don't you get issues with Warranty and things like that then though?
And you'd have to be sure you're not getting scammed

Earthmonk
30-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Looked 2 mins on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-6400-Laptop-1-73Ghz-2GB-DVD-RW-15-4-W-s_W0QQitemZ170135029437QQihZ007QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

Well within your budget and really good specs. It will run WoW perfectly.

Faylin
30-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes, and no warranty whatsoever if something is wrong. (most warranties for laptops aren't internatonal for a start) and good luck finding parts if needed. Also, how do you make sure it's not stolen?
Sure you can find something nice if you don't mind a gamble, but imo laptops are the nr. 1 item not suitable for ebay.

Also, a lot of "issues" a PC or laptop have can be hidden. For example, if someone spills a glass of coke over it, and nicely clean the outside, chances are the drink spilled on your motherboard anyway. Symptoms of that often only happen on a later date, when parts start to rust. And trust me, the PC is ready for the dustbin when that has happened.

Earthmonk
30-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I had my warranty transferred easily, just phoned dell gave them a few service tag numbers etc and bingo.

If you're worried about getting scammed, look at their feedback and if it's below 99% don't bother. But most people have 99%, i've never been scammed on my 4 years + on ebay, you just have to be careful and it'll never happen.

Faylin
30-07-2007, 08:07 PM
If you are able to check the serial number/service tag before purchase AND able to transfer warranty, that changes things ofcourse.

Still not something I'd feel comfortable with in all honesty. It's still a big purchase, especially if you're unexperienced in buying from Ebay.

Slashy
30-07-2007, 08:31 PM
if you buy a branded laptop from a big name company sold by a smaller ebay shop you can still claim the warranty if its brand new................................. since the warranty sheet is inside the box...................................

Muh
30-07-2007, 08:37 PM
if you buy a branded laptop from a big name company sold by a smaller ebay shop you can still claim the warranty if its brand new................................. since the warranty sheet is inside the box...................................

That's a lot of if's
Also I gave dutch ebay a quick browse and I didn't really see anything like what I'm looking for

Slashy
30-07-2007, 08:38 PM
ill go looking for you quick >.> it needs to play wow pretty good?

Muh
30-07-2007, 08:39 PM
ill go looking for you quick >.> it needs to play wow pretty good?

basic things like beatus mentioned them allthough a little less RAM wouldnt be too much of a pain I guess

Slashy
30-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz 2MB
WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB
1GB DDR2 667MHz (512MB x )
80GB 5400rpm SATA
8x +/- Dual Layer DVD Writer
Windows Vista Home Premium
Standard Nylon Case

3 year pan-European C&R parts and labour warranty
£680.00 £799.00 inc VAT
Estimate in EUR: Change Currency Settings
1030.83 1211.23 inc VAT

only real problem is vista.. not so good with 1gb of ram

http://www.xoticpc.com/product_info.php/cPath/51_149/products_id/2015?wconfigure=yes

only 1gb ram.. but can go up to 4gb if you buy more later.. dx10 budget card.. 758.47 euro

Muh
30-07-2007, 08:58 PM
That raises a few questions.
So it's on ebay like that for a price equalling 758,47 euros?
The warranty covers Europe?
And how would I get it to me?

Slashy
30-07-2007, 09:39 PM
its not on ebay.. it was from the site i linked lol

Faylin
30-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Someone from the Netherlands, not too experienced with PCs might be better of not ordering abroad? :s

Slashy
30-07-2007, 09:46 PM
well someone from england.. who doesnt speak dutch.. has a bit of trouble navigating dutch sites

Faylin
30-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Then......how is that link useful? It's a US company. Not even an international brand. How are you ever going to claim warranty if the occasoin arises? And the thing would have to pass customs.

If you;re not able to provide useful information you could also consider not posting?

Slashy
30-07-2007, 09:56 PM
well ive spoke to muh before.. pm's and ingame.. and happen to know shes not a retard.. quite intelligent really.. and im sure she has the ability to click a button to send a laptop abroad and the common knowledge of E..M..A..I..L and things.. did she say "i only want things from this country"?? no.. no she didnt.. stop being a dickhead.. if she doesnt want to order from there.. wait till she says it? im sure she doesnt need you to say it for her

"So if some people could give some suggestions about what I could expect for that or even show me a place where I could buy one and get it delivered where I live (Being ze Netherlands). That would be great ^_^"

take note of the.. AND GET IT DELIVERED WHERE I LIVE.. youre just annoying me now.. tard

Faylin
30-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Not being a retard has nothing to do with ordering your first laptop overseas not being the best idea.

Slashy
30-07-2007, 10:03 PM
well i built my pc with bits from all over the world on ebay.. with no warranty.. whats wrong with buying a laptop from a shop from another country? muh speaks english so what would the problem be?

it has to be ordered from somewhere so why not the cheapest place possible?

Faylin
30-07-2007, 10:11 PM
1. Have you checked shipping costs?
2. What to do if the thing fails? Send it back overseas?
3. You wanna make a phonecall to the US each time you need support?
4. You'd have to pay customs, it's even listed on the site you linked.

Now stop being a retard and realise that something that suits -you- can still be not the best idea for someone else, in other words, don't suggest a high risk solution to a relatively unexperienced person.

Slashy
30-07-2007, 10:15 PM
1. Have you checked shipping costs?
2. What to do if the thing fails? Send it back overseas?
3. You wanna make a phonecall to the US each time you need support?
4. You'd have to pay customs, it's even listed on the site you linked.

Now stop being a retard and realise that something that suits -you- can still be not the best idea for someone else, in other words, don't suggest a high risk solution to a relatively unexperienced person.

its not exactly high risk.. and did i say its the best idea for her? its just an option to be considered? not by you.. unless youre planning on buying a laptop.. if she doesnt want to.. fine.. nothing is up to you.. its up to her.. email is fine for support.. if it fails whats wrong with sending it back overseas?

like i said.. twice.. if she doesnt want to.. she wont............................. k?

edit: are you still pissed that you were wrong in the other thread or something?

Faylin
30-07-2007, 10:23 PM
its not exactly high risk..
Yes it is. Let's say you end up having a debate with the company, how are you going to solve it?

and did i say its the best idea for her? its just an option to be considered?
If it's an option to be considered you might be more complete in your information, like informing about 4,5% customs and 19% taxes she would have to pay.

if it fails whats wrong with sending it back overseas?
Huge shipping costs, for a start. Also missing out on your defective laptop for a much, much larger period of time then if you would have bought it closer to home.

Slashy
30-07-2007, 10:29 PM
whats the 19% tax for? ;o

Faylin
30-07-2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.douane.nl/particulier/internetaankopen/

In Dutch. But basically it's the tax you didn't pay the government cause you bought it somwhere else.
With small purchases you'd probably get away with it, but I'm pretty sure larger packages like a laptop are checked more carefully by customs. Actually, if you don't report it to them it's a crime.

Slashy
30-07-2007, 10:36 PM
yr dutch.. you have an advantage >.> thats 1:1 ;[

but we all know crime pays >.>

Gwynin
30-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Just to make a few comments in regard to used products and buying stuff 'overseas', since I handle stuff like that alot in HP's complaint department.

If you dont have a receipt that we deem valid, you will only get 1 year of warranty counting from the production date (eg serial number determines that), which often means you are out of warranty unless its a brand new model.

If you buy a model in the USA you have limited support in the EU (that being both troubleshooting and repair), if the whole series hasnt been launched in europe you will have to send it to the USA for repair (you pay for shipping).

Ofcos this goes for HP and I cant say if all other major brands do it like us, but my guess would be they handle it in a similar way. :)

Muh
30-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah I probably won't go for a laptop from the US, but he was just showing me a possibility. So stop fighting in my thread please ^_^

Thordyn
30-07-2007, 10:59 PM
My cousin says he could take out a large dog in one punch.

Slashy
30-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah I probably won't go for a laptop from the US, but he was just showing me a possibility. So stop fighting in my thread please ^_^

<3 muh stuck up for me.... i must be speshul

thordyn.. pic or never happened! also.. real dog or ugly human?

Flawless
31-07-2007, 01:18 AM
So stop fighting in my thread please ^_^

actually its debating, fighting is...

BEATUS YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING RETARD LEARN TO DPS!

Earthmonk
31-07-2007, 07:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.nl/DELL-INSPIRON-6400-CORE-2-DUO-85WH-160GB-BLUETOOTH_W0QQitemZ270147899618QQihZ017QQcategoryZ 28837QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Apart from the graphics card it's not a bad laptop, no customs since it's from Netherlands & not sure about the warranty as I can't speak dutch. :<

Faylin
31-07-2007, 08:49 AM
This would be the Netherlands:
http://www.arthistoryclub.com/art_history/upload/thumb/c/ce/300px-Netherlands_map_large.png

Where as this
http://www.maps-of-germany.co.uk/images/provinces-of-Germany.gif

would be Germany >.>

Proterra
31-07-2007, 09:08 AM
so many posts..so little drama :(

Also yes vista is a big ram whore but it's still very sexy. I bought this laptop for uni work but since my pc is fucked I have to play wow on it as well :[

Malakali
31-07-2007, 09:44 AM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2041/20873064lqn5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

dance for laptops

Jarelan
31-07-2007, 09:46 AM
If you go to PC World and sign up to Orange Broadband they give you a free lap top.

Proterra
31-07-2007, 09:50 AM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2041/20873064lqn5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

dance for laptops

is that Bill Bailey!? I LOVE that man <3

Jarelan
31-07-2007, 10:10 AM
It's not Bill Bailey it's a Klingon.

Malakali
31-07-2007, 11:08 AM
ofc it is bill proterra ^^ <3

Vegelus
31-07-2007, 12:13 PM
In al honesty, probably not. But playing WoW with less then 2GB ram is unpleasant, playing it with an onboard video card (using your own RAM!) would suck.

An AMD model might be an option to get the budget tighter, but meh, especially for a laptop I'd go for Intel.
Aiming for a 'cheaper' brand, like Acer could be an option too, but wouldn;t be my personal choice either.

You can play WoW on laptop with an onboard video card and with 512MB RAM... know from my own experience, using Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2085 atm. I can even tank instances with Furiat when playing on this (yes, sometimes have 3-5fpses with 800x600 resolution but at least I can play) or raiding Kara with Veg.

C2D CPU isn't really needed for WoW, it just makes price higher, just make sure Your laptop has 1GB RAM and some other (than onboard) GPU.

Muh
31-07-2007, 01:09 PM
You can play WoW on laptop with an onboard video card and with 512MB RAM... know from my own experience, using Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2085 atm. I can even tank instances with Furiat when playing on this (yes, sometimes have 3-5fpses with 800x600 resolution but at least I can play) or raiding Kara with Veg.

C2D CPU isn't really needed for WoW, it just makes price higher, just make sure Your laptop has 1GB RAM and some other (than onboard) GPU.

Well I can play WoW with this pc I currently have too but my fps dropping to something below 5 in raids is actually what I wanted to get rid of.

captpicard
31-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Here's a review for the Dell inspiron 1520, which you can't buy in a store, cause Dell sells on internet only.
But it does perform quite well for a laptop in that price range (basic model is about €950)

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3821&review=Dell+Inspiron+1520

Also, Dell has a professional version of it, called the Vostro 1500, which has almost the same specs, but is a bit simplied (meaning it has less shit you won't need anyway).
It's offically for companies only, but it seems you can order as a consumer aswell.
It costs €897 if you take the version with 2GB of RAM.

A big advantage of Dell is that you can configure each model to your own wishes (but although basic models at Dell are often cheap "upgrades" are foten expenive, so be warned ;))
Check this forumthread (in Dutch) for discussion about it: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1232330

Dell also now has Pink laptops :O

Muh
31-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Dell also now has Pink laptops :O

I'd want the dark red one *dreamy eyes*

But seriously.. 83euros to get it delivered...

Faylin
31-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes, delivery costs at Dell are always rediculous. But... they often have discounts where you don't have to pay any delivery costs (right now actually, I think).
And if they don't have that discount, they propbably let you double the RAM for free.

Basically, don't look at those delivery coststs too much, just compare the total price with the total price of the competition, and see what's best ;)

edit: yeh, just checked, until 1 august (meh :( ) no delivery costs. That would mean the 1520 would be € 950 all inclusive. But those discounts usually come back after a month or so...

Earthmonk
31-07-2007, 03:54 PM
This would be the Netherlands:
http://www.arthistoryclub.com/art_history/upload/thumb/c/ce/300px-Netherlands_map_large.png

Where as this
http://www.maps-of-germany.co.uk/images/provinces-of-Germany.gif

would be Germany >.>

Sorry >_>

Although, if it's across the border, i've never been charged custom tax when i've bought stuff from Ireland, even when I bought my main gaming PC from there last year, which cost £2500. But the Netherlands might be different, I don't know.

Faylin
31-07-2007, 03:56 PM
We're in the EU, so it's fine customs-wise.

It's just so common to mistake german for dutch, I thought I'd tease you a bit with it ;)