View Full Version : Leveling a mage. :D

Aggromedon
15-07-2007, 05:39 PM
So, I've been toying around with a human mage alt, and got him to 50, but now, I'd like to know what spec is the way to go to 70.

And, as a bonus, are there any must-have mage addons?

Hephaestos
16-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Pretteh much every spec is viable for just lvling (full arc with slow or full frost with frostbite or full fire, elemental you name it)

Other then that have your main nuke depending on spec on you hotbar, roll your head over your keyboard and you will be 70 in notime.

Aggromedon
16-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Atm I'm fire, and I really like it as it does loads of damage, but I tend to run oom so very fast.. Is Frost more mana efficient?

Faylin
16-07-2007, 07:43 AM
A bit. But it's also slower.

Get +dmg gear basically.

Ailith
16-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I have two level 67 mages atm (one horde on Xavius pvp server, and one alliance on Shadowsong). They've both been elemental when they were 60 but they're both frost atm (albiet with slightly different builds :P). Currently aiming at 17/44 arcane/frost build for pvp, but I've found frost perfectly fine for levelling too, and fire is also fun. But as they mostly pvp I like iceblock ;) And they're both pretty mana efficient.

Though, I tend not to use water elemental much while solo grinding (mostly for instances and pvp) and iceblock isn't used much (almost ever) while solo grinding.

sageclaire
16-07-2007, 12:57 PM
A bit. But it's also slower.

Get +dmg gear basically.

i've lvled both as fire n frost spec. Frost spec is way more mana efficient but a bit slower. U kill mob a bit slower but u have much less downtime, as in u can bandage once per minute, evoc once every 7minutes( 2/8 FF bonus helps lvling ;) ). by the time u r oom, evoc will be up ( as a frost spec ). Tried doing that trick on fire, but for me, when i ran oom a lot more, and i found out that i needed to drink a lot.
this is speaking from my own exp, so some may disagree, but if u ask me, go lvl as a frostie.

Kinshara
16-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I prefer fire, even if I have to drink more.

vattghern
16-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Not like I have a lot of experience as a mage (being 55 atm). Just sharing my personal experiences.

I switched recently my aemg alt (55 at the moment) from full fire into full frost aimed at aoe grinding (something that made me roll mage alt actually). Now my only concern is low spawn rate in Sorrow Hill. Also for a change it's nice to kite some elites without much risk of dying.

Speaking of aoe grinding - can you share some good spots after Sorrow Hill (ye. I know Twilight camps in Silithus are said to be good).

Aggromedon
16-07-2007, 01:45 PM
i've lvled both as fire n frost spec. Frost spec is way more mana efficient but a bit slower. U kill mob a bit slower but u have much less downtime, as in u can bandage once per minute, evoc once every 7minutes( 2/8 FF bonus helps lvling ;) ). by the time u r oom, evoc will be up ( as a frost spec ). Tried doing that trick on fire, but for me, when i ran oom a lot more, and i found out that i needed to drink a lot.
this is speaking from my own exp, so some may disagree, but if u ask me, go lvl as a frostie.

After reading this I decided to give frost a try, and I'm loving it, I nearly never have to drink, and I can AoE 18 mobs at once. :D

sageclaire
16-07-2007, 02:06 PM
this is what i am talking about ;) . Dont u love it when there is no need for u to stop n drink + eat :p ? Non-stop grinding/lvling/whatever is more frost-spec friendly :) . But fire and arcane spec lvling = good also. Its up to ur taste tbh :D As for me, i love frost very much ( dont ask why i am fire, it goes without saying tbh ... )

Aggromedon
16-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Aye, it's lovely, I can keep going to 70 :P

Gwynin
19-07-2007, 04:11 PM
this is what i am talking about ;) . Dont u love it when there is no need for u to stop n drink + eat :p ? Non-stop grinding/lvling/whatever is more frost-spec friendly :) . But fire and arcane spec lvling = good also. Its up to ur taste tbh :D As for me, i love frost very much ( dont ask why i am fire, it goes without saying tbh ... )

wai r u faia?

sageclaire
19-07-2007, 07:58 PM
go away, mazul!

Rey
19-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Maegzs are for water (and to be ganked)

Aggromedon
20-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Was AoE grinding in Sorrow Hill yesterday ( it's so much fun with frost spec), and suddenly a warrior whispered me and he said that it's illigal to do that because now he doesn't have any mobs, one sec later I'm on ignore :/

Kinshara
20-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Was AoE grinding in Sorrow Hill yesterday ( it's so much fun with frost spec), and suddenly a warrior whispered me and he said that it's illigal to do that because now he doesn't have any mobs, one sec later I'm on ignore :/

It's obviously not illegal (or even against the TOS), but it does get really annoying when someone clears all the quest mobs in the area. I tend to stop aoeing mobs when other people are trying to kill some.

Aggromedon
20-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I was only AoEing 1 of the three/four 'fields' in Sorrow Hill, he had plenty of mobs elsewere, but he was just standing on the field I was killing, and I doubt he was on a quest as he was level 58.

Aggromedon
20-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Anyway, now I'm getting closer, could someone link me a good 60 and a good 70 frost build, as I have no idea what's worth TP and what's not.

sageclaire
20-07-2007, 10:32 AM
at 60 -> http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=RZZVVGMofxsiqt ( no need elem precision tbh, thats for raid purpose :D )
at 70 -> raid purpose, chck my talent build.
-> grind purpose, http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=RV0VZZVVGckfxsVqt or any around similar variable ( shatter, imp CoC, snap, barrier, bite are a MUST talents )

Aggromedon
20-07-2007, 10:38 AM
/bonk seems like I didn't spend my TP very proper, thanks alot Eclairs, I'll go respec later :)

Flawless
21-07-2007, 03:09 PM
-> grind purpose, http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=RV0VZZVVGckfxsVqt or any around similar variable ( shatter, imp CoC, snap, barrier, bite are a MUST talent frost bite can be a shit talent for aoe grinding, have one or two mobs split from the pack is annoying...

sageclaire
21-07-2007, 03:18 PM
frost bite can be a shit talent for aoe grinding, have one or two mobs split from the pack is annoying...

On the contrary, its a nice talent if u aoe grind ;) trust me since i've had the spec :p

Flawless
21-07-2007, 03:22 PM
so have I?

Its annoying when mobs fall out side your AoE zone, not taking it allows you to do more controlled DPS and actually be able to aoe them all done at once and not have worry about those extra 1 or 2 mobs that got left out of the majority AoE

Frost bite is primarily for single targeting.

Aggromedon
21-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Now, I've been AoE griding for 2 days, and I used the spec Eclairs linked, but then minus a few points because I'm only 52, and frostbite really helps me when I'm using Blizzard on a pack, as they stay away for a longer time for me, wich has nothing but good effects.

Valoran
21-07-2007, 04:46 PM
What flawless said. You don't take frostbite in an aoe grinding spec as it can split a pack up to the point where blizzard doesn't hit them all.

Edit for clarification. aoe frost grinding is all about control, you can't control a random proc - sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. The times it doesn't, you tend to have one mob loose hitting you, which generally means death when you're aoeing a pack of 15/16 mobs.

Aggromedon
21-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Not that I know much about it, but I never tend to use Blizzard two times in a row, I always cast a spell inbetween. So this is what I do : Ice Barrier -> mount up -> pull mobs -> Frost Nova -> Blizzard ( most of the time quite few mobs get stuck in a frostbite, so I cast CoC as it crits 99% of the time ) -> so CoC -> Frost Nova -> Blizzard -> maybe CoC for the mobs who are still alive.

Faylin
21-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I liked the mage doing ZG with just CoC and Blizzard, no Frost Nova at all!

Aggromedon
21-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, if I don't use FN, 10 Sorrow Hill mobs eat through my health pretty quick. :P

sageclaire
21-07-2007, 07:56 PM
imp blizzard is ur friend for aoe grinding. and with improved blizzard, it doesnt matter if the frostbite procced or not, coz the mob will still surely be far far away from u, but within the blizzard radius. Iam talking this from my own experience. Up to u aggromedon if u like it or not, but to me ( talking this from my experience POV ofc ), the extra frostbite = win ;)

Aggromedon
22-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I sure like it, never had any troubles with it, and when I'm killing just 1 mob at a time it helps alot.

Valoran
22-07-2007, 08:34 AM
imp blizzard is ur friend for aoe grinding. and with improved blizzard, it doesnt matter if the frostbite procced or not, coz the mob will still surely be far far away from u, but within the blizzard radius. Iam talking this from my own experience. Up to u aggromedon if u like it or not, but to me ( talking this from my experience POV ofc ), the extra frostbite = win ;)
You've obviously never done any serious aoe grinding.

sageclaire
22-07-2007, 10:39 AM
o rly ? 10 - 15 mobs per aoe is small i think ? well i am not an elite after all . The so called "Elitists" aoe 50 mobs in one go, or is it 100? .... well, i am just a normal mage who knows her limit of aoeing only 15 mobs max ... and needs every cc possible to make aoe grinding possible, be it frostbite, frost nova, freeze or whatnot ... well, since she's not an elite after all.

a build without frostbite, well i am not ready for it :D but its nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16l2kJPM0D0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_27aMytL5c - > faxmonkey

thought so .. elites aoe 100 mobs in one go :(

Valoran
22-07-2007, 04:19 PM
The first video is a really good demonstration of exactly what I meant, thanks :D

If you watch how tightly the pack is grouped up, and how the mage in the video keeps running around them - the control is just superb. Frostbite would eventually break such a large pack up, meaning you couldn't circle round to keep the mobs so tightly grouped.

sageclaire
22-07-2007, 04:27 PM
they r both very skilled players. If i give it a try doing like that ( pulling 30++ mobs ), i can bet that i'll die within 5 sec :(

Ammanna
22-07-2007, 10:13 PM
And frostbite procs would be why.

/bite Clair

Flawless
23-07-2007, 01:19 AM
First video is very impressive, planned or trail and error'd his routes well

Bunneh
24-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I remember when the Faxmonkey Invasion videos appeared, the amount of mages trying and dying in Tanaris was astounding.

Faylin
24-07-2007, 10:34 PM
That first one was the example I meant yes, as you can see, only CoC and Blizzard. Think he could have done it with CoC only tbh.

Hephaestos
25-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Frost mages have a big CoC!

Biscitt
25-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I never really did the AoE grind thingie, I did level to 60 as frost though. 60-70 was full fire, with the extra points from 60 -> 70 put in arcane. Just ye ole "burn 'em fast" tactic, worked fine.