View Full Version : Affliction spec

Emelyn2
18-04-2007, 12:36 PM
hi there locks

i am using a 0/40/21 spec atm but i have noticed that allmost all raid-locks use an affliction spec. my question is; where are all talents put in the affliction tree and why is it used by so many locks in raid-guilds ?

thanks in addvance

Emelyn

Haplo
18-04-2007, 01:36 PM
its used because in long boss fights you will have a good sustained solid dps without getting aggro. With destro you will have crits of 4-5k which will instant draw aggro almost.

Also solo its very nice, you'll never run oom.. rly.. never..

But lock builds are pretty personnal i recon. Go see with what build you like playing the most.

Eisenheim
18-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Somehow i always manage to get aggro, its just more even with affliction, no crit spikes so you have to wait with the casting for a bit..

Respecced for 600g or so since TBC, and i pretty much always end up with a very heavy affli build: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IEMrVRfkVtbobxc0I or a variant of that, with imp imp for raiding, but atm im pvping..

I know some hate raiding without Bane, but i always managed to be #1 on the damagemeters the last time i was raiding..

But i always caught up with the tanks, even after a soul shatter on long fights..

Flawless
18-04-2007, 02:11 PM
The one point in shadow embrace is a waste

Mithadriel
18-04-2007, 02:18 PM
The one point in shadow embrace is a waste

Why? He's using Soul Siphon 2/2 which is:

Increases the amount drained by your Drain Life and Drain Mana spells by an additional 5% for each Affliction effect on the target, up to a maximum of 60% additional effect

So it's basically increasing the amount he can heal himself by an extra 10% simply by applying Corr/CoA/SL or SoC.

Eisenheim
18-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Indeed Mithadriel, my Drain Life heals for around 400 per tick on a fully dotted mob..

Couldnt care less about the actual debuff as long as it counts towards Soul Siphon :)

Psonica
18-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm (still) 45/5/11 (http://armory.wow-europe.com/#character-talents.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Psonica) ( <- click ) with some odd 980 shadowdamage selfbuffed without consumables and yes at times aggro is a problem - especially in long fights where you after a while get into a working rotation and your TPS shifts up another gear. Use Soul Shatter before (yes, I know ... stunning suggestion ain't it?) you get aggro to be able to maintaining a healthy DPS ...if you use it after you get aggro you are probably going to kill some mage in the process where the tank regains aggro on the mob :)

Playing warlock is fun :)

Flawless
18-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Why? He's using Soul Siphon 2/2 which is:

Increases the amount drained by your Drain Life and Drain Mana spells by an additional 5% for each Affliction effect on the target, up to a maximum of 60% additional effect

So it's basically increasing the amount he can heal himself by an extra 10% simply by applying Corr/CoA/SL or SoC.

ah ha, never noticed soul siphon, Im just a whore and I like warlocks to have 5/5 in it for raiding :P

Coldpwa
19-04-2007, 01:14 PM
5/5 Shadow Embrace, now that's a waste, considering it only applies to yourself... With 67 Hit Rating the points would be better spent into Suppression imo, and you could drop one into Imp HoT if you like to PvP once in a while! :-)

Haplo
19-04-2007, 02:08 PM
5/5 Shadow Embrace, now that's a waste, considering it only applies to yourself...

Blizzards says no......
Applies to all party/raid.

Psonica
19-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Blizzards says no......
Applies to all party/raid.
Indeed ... all physical damage output by the affected mob is lowered by 5% , which in a world with fast'n'hard hitting mobs is noticable. Excellent to have ... smack on a low aggro DoT (lol, like there ever was one ... I go with Siphon Life) and it will work for 30 seconds :)

Coldpwa
19-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Ah, my bad then! I remember it only applied to the warlock a while ago ;)

Kabhanda
19-04-2007, 11:04 PM
It never only applied to a warlock.

Teatrix
20-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Why does many raiders pick affliction? Most popular lock builds can put out competitive dps, (provided you spec for max pve dps of course), so the smooter aggro curve and the ability to sustain yourself with darkpact and siphon life almost indefinetly means a lot of warlocks choose affliction. It also has some nice raid-utility stuff and the arguably superior soloing ability also helps for when you're grinding for your pots/tailoring gear.

Haplo
20-04-2007, 12:14 PM
It also has some nice raid-utility stuff and the arguably superior soloing ability also helps for when you're grinding for your pots/tailoring gear.

Dang... we have a winner... serious...

Eisenheim
20-04-2007, 12:25 PM
And then we live up to our class description:

"Type: Debuffer and Cool Guy/Girl" <- Good stuff that they still havent removed that from the http://wow-europe.com/en/info/classes/index.html page..

Gpx
20-04-2007, 12:32 PM
nerf warlocks k?

Psonica
20-04-2007, 02:52 PM
nerf warlocks k?

noes, we are balanced :)

(actually look at the 2.1.0 patchnotes and see, no major changes to warlocks iirc ...that must mean something?)

Vegelus
20-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I'd name change of fear breaking mechanics as major change to locks tbh :P.

Psonica
21-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd name change of fear breaking mechanics as major change to locks tbh :P.

if it a confirmed change (aka in the patchnotes) or a unconfirmed bug?