View Full Version : Spell hit and penetration for healing?

Frimlin
02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi there :)

Simple really. Do the spell Hit and Penetration stats have any relevance with healing spells?

Seems my healing gear is mostly bereft of both hit and penetration (ooer), and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about that or not?

Currently I'm more concerned about not knowing if I should be concerned about that or not. ;)

And if you can forgive me for adding in a second subject to this post... what gems are other holy priests sticking in their sockets? I started with mostly Spirit, and less so Int. But have now got this idea in my head about improving Spell Crit instead, since I'm apreciated by tanks in my guild for my lovely healing crits, so I wanted to give them more. ;)

Kind regards,

Frimlin

Faylin
02-04-2007, 02:17 PM
I would think common sense would solve this but I guess not....

Spell hit makes your spells have a higher chance to hit your enemies. Since healing is obviously not resisted: NO
Spell penetration: lowers the resistance of the target to your spells. So: NO

Frimlin
02-04-2007, 02:29 PM
That's what I thought too, and was just wanting to make sure. Cheers for the confirmation, but not the slur. ;)

Faylin
02-04-2007, 02:37 PM
As for gems, depends on personal preference. I would say:
+ healing
+ mana/5
...mostly

It kinda depends on what you want to do with your priest ofcourse.
Some raids need quite a bit of stamina, and since priests are low on that (especially if they have a primal mooncloth set) a bit of that might not hurt.
For long encounters (raid bossfights I would say mostly) mana/5 is quite good. In 10 mans there is not much of healer rotation, so I would rate mana/5 over spirit.
For 5mans most fights are relatively short, and the biggest problem you will encounter will probably be you can't keep up healing. With a lot of players having big HP pools +healing can help for the healing power. (and it obviously helps in making lower spellranks becoming viable for healing).

As for spellcrit.. could be, if you spec for inspiration. BUt where crit is a bonus when you are doing damage, counting on "a bonus" to happen on healing is kind of a no go: if NOT crit healing the tank means he will die, you much rather have a big non-crit heal that you can count on happening.

Hope that helps.

Frimlin
02-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I did spec for Inspiration. I don't count on the crit bonus but it is always welcome. :) I have no problem healing in 5 mans at all... none. I'm heavy holy build and so I tend not to go for +heal as much, though of course I do value it. Might consider MP5 gems if they're useful for Karazhan -- mana can be, though rarely, an issue with longer boss fights. But it is usually mitigated by Shadowfiend, mana pots, demonic runes...etc I suppose with being heavy holy I should look at MP5 especially since I imagine my mana regen is lower than Holy/Disc half-halfers.

Yeah I have the Primal Mooncloth set now. Liking it, but gee it really does lack Stamina doesn't it! Starting to get the idea it was an expensive diversion... but at the same time, not sure there's anything much comparable pre-Karazhan. Though I got a Hallowed robe, I think it was, in Shadow Lab last night and its base stats like Stamina did make me ponder...

Faylin
02-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Heh, there's nothing better past Kara either, so you'll be holding on to that set for a while.

If you are deep holy you probably have empowered healing, which means your direct heals benefit even more from + healing. Which makes downranking an even better idea if you have enough +heal. (Sadly can't look up your profile now to see what you have)

Faylin
02-04-2007, 03:09 PM
AH, managed to check your profile. Yes, that spell penetration gem and that +hit trinket need to go very quick :)

Try and get revered with Lower City for their healing trinket, or be lucky in The Black Morass or at the last Botanica boss. Black MOrass quest shoud give you a ring too that's better then that level 60 damage one.
Oh yeh and get revered with Hounor Hold for the headenchant obiousvly..

Frimlin
02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Beatus, you are a gem. If my first main char hadn't been a mage, and if our guild's top JC wasn't a mage, then I probably wouldn't be so confuddled. ;)

Almost revered with Lower City I believe, so that's cool. Just got Black Morass to do to get attuned so who knows. Also will be needing to go through there with other guildies, so hopefully my chances are increased further. Seem to be in Botanica a lot right now, and that last boss is my favourite, so yeah -- fingers crossed. :)

Thanks again Beatus!

Danzig
02-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I have noticed in Karazan that some +hit and penetration helps when it comes to shackles. Im not sure if its my imagination or if its just coincident or if it actually makes some difference.

But others Ive talked to says about the same. And in early Karazan encounters a bigger chance to get the shackle right and that it doesnt brake can be much more of use then +1-200 healing. (Since healing dead is kind of hard :P )

But then again, nothing really 100% confirmed afaik.

Kabhanda
02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Penetration is useless in pve, its a pvp stat, its that simple.

+hit is useless for any spell cast at a friendly target, and usefull (till capped) for enemies.

+hit does reduce resists for shackle, penetration does not. +hit will reduce chance of early breaks on shackles, penetration will not.

Faylin
02-04-2007, 07:48 PM
and with the tier sets not having any resists you could say it's near useless in PvP too these days....

sara
03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
The Lower City Prayerbook trinket is awful, you have to constantly micromanage the 1 minute cooldown, which is sort of ok if your fights only last 1-2 minutes but gets annoying fast.

Best-case, if you chain-cast 1.5s spells then you save 220 mana a minute (18.3 mp5). When I'm chain-casting and need to save mana then I'm not casting flash-heal (YMMV :)) which reduces it to 11 mp5 if you're casting 2.5s spells. Compare to Heavenly Inspiration which has 10 mp5 (which is a little worse) and a +heal 'use' (a lot less than the passive on the prayerbook, over the 90s cooldown but handy as an extra 'go' gear).

The scarab is fairly handy in heroics, but worse than the trinket that shall not be named here, lest it be nerfed! :)

Faylin
03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't quite mean the Prayerbook for the -awful- use but for the good 70 passive + healing obviously...

Toshiro
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
prayerbook = pally trinket tbh. Also you dont really need to micromanage it, you can just macro it to cast whenever it is available.

Kabhanda
03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
The prayerbook IS good, the use is NOT awful, damn some people suck at this game.

Toshiro
03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
meh, if that is to me. I would still maintain the trinket is of way more use to pallies than to priests/druids. The use is decent to priests, nice on equip bonus and around 12 mana per 5 secs is a good combo. For pallies spamming FoL it is crazily good tho. One of the nicest trinkets around atm.

Kabhanda
03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Was aimed at sara and beatus, it is better for lolakeks, buts its still good on priests/shamanz/druidz.

Faylin
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, yeh. Agree. I never bothered to check the very short cooldown, and indeed Toshiro is right I should macro it.

I just suck at use trinkets :(

oh, and love you too Kabhanda

sara
04-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Am I supposed to cry because the nasty man called me a name?

The fact that you can make it more useful by liberal use of macros does not make it suck less, the reason it sucks is because it's designed to be a chore to use, this is separate from it's absolute utility (which as said is higher for paladins, but this thread was under the priest section).

If you don't cast the same spell all the time then you have to macro all of the spells that you do use, lest you cast a spell while out of cooldown without enabling the trinket.

Every time you cast a heal while the trinket isn't either in use or in cooldown, Kabhanda kills a kitten?

In general I dislike "use" on trinkets, with most it's a question of 'should I use it now, or will I need it more, later, when it would be on cooldown?'. This trinket is the opposite, but the sense of irritation associated with not using it to it's maximum capacity is similar.

Kabhanda
04-04-2007, 01:12 AM
You claim the trinket is awful, and your reason is because you aren't able to use it well?

The trinket is good, you aren't.

Valoran
04-04-2007, 01:21 AM
In general I dislike "use" on trinkets, with most it's a question of 'should I use it now, or will I need it more, later, when it would be on cooldown?'. This trinket is the opposite, but the sense of irritation associated with not using it to it's maximum capacity is similar.
Just because it's possible to "waste" a cooldown, doesn't mean that the ability to use the cooldown at all should be ignored. Your own argument could be turned on its head to say that without the use abilities from certain trinkets you might not be able to keep someone up.