View Full Version : Spell penetration & spell hit rating

Phanthastic
28-03-2007, 06:32 PM
So whats the big difference between these 2?
Any good links that explain it :)

As far as i can see spell pene reduces targets resistance, which i'd say increases ur chance to hit as the target has lower res and less chance to resist.

Limbo
29-03-2007, 08:24 AM
NUBMAEG (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15293658&sid=1) :)

graverot
29-03-2007, 08:47 AM
NUBMAEG (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15293658&sid=1) :)

Agreed!

Basically, when a hostile spell connects two calculations occur. Firstly there's a to hit calculation, with a 17% base chance of spells failing against a boss - spell hit will affect this figure (doh!)

Assuming the spell hits, then a second calculation is made on the mob's resistance to that school of magic. For most schools of magic, partial resists are possible (0, 25, 50, 75, 100% damage done) - a major exception is frost, where only full resists and full damage are possible. Spell penetration helps to maximise damage here, especially against mobs with resonable or higher resistances to that school. I could list some of the maths, but I really can't be bothered :)

Hope that helps, Mr Class Leader!

Abberare
29-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Doesn't spell penetration only work on players? Or did they change that?

Phanthastic
29-03-2007, 02:10 PM

I dont hope so - Getting pvp rewards from instances seem silly :)

Would be nice with a link or somewhat that could explain exactly how they work lol :)

Limbo
29-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I dont hope so - Getting pvp rewards from instances seem silly :)

Would be nice with a link or somewhat that could explain exactly how they work lol :)

What I posted wasn't just a statement it was a link too :P

vattghern
29-03-2007, 02:15 PM
The whole deal of spell penetration is to lessen partial resists. At least that was the basic concept of it. Quite another story is that basic curses give you -88 resistance to shadow/arcane or fire/frost.

So far (unless something drasticly changed recently) spell penetration's impact on pve is minor.

Drauk
29-03-2007, 02:20 PM
For most schools of magic, partial resists are possible (0, 25, 50, 75, 100% damage done) - a major exception is frost, where only full resists and full damage are possible.

Actually this "property" (its called binary) is spell specific. For example Blizzard and Ice Lance both can have partial resists.

There is 2 issues with spell penetration in PvE

1) Most (like 99.9%) of mobs and bosses have ZERO school based resist values. The only exceptions that i know of was MC trash and Gehennas (had like 150 SR).

2) Mobs gain 8*(level difference) innate resist against all schools (including holy) against players of lower level. This innate resist cannot be countered in any way (including curses and spell penetration), they are casters analogies of glancing blows.

This makes spell penetration utterly useless in PvE.

Faylin
29-03-2007, 02:37 PM
(using your quotes to add something to it, not to try and outsmart you Drauk :))

Actually this "property" (its called binary) is spell specific. For example Blizzard and Ice Lance both can have partial resists.

Mind Flay is actually binary too, which is why you will see many more resists on that than on any other shadow spell.
The reason for this is, that these spells have side-effects (snares in this case), that can't have "a bit of effect": mind flay always slows for 50%, and as a result, there is no partial resist.
edit: btw, shouldn't the improved blizzard be binary too then? (not sure if it is, but it should)

1) Most (like 99.9%) of mobs and bosses have ZERO school based resist values. The only exceptions that i know of was MC trash and Gehennas (had like 150 SR).

Laj in Botanica? Also I seem to remember getting resists in Karazhan for shadow, which seemed to make sense.

vattghern
29-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Also I seem to remember getting resists in Karazhan for shadow, which seemed to make sense.

For me most noticeable are the Shades between the Curator and the Shade of Aran. With Curse of Shadows on I get minimal partial resists but when I tried it without CoS the partial resist were very common (might be so called anecdotal evidence though as my sample is not that big again).

Phanthastic
30-03-2007, 08:58 AM
What I posted wasn't just a statement it was a link too :P

Lol - well i had no reason to hoover over that word :D

Thx for the answers and links :)

Zarcon
24-08-2007, 11:13 AM
wowwiki info on combat rating and mechanics http://www.wowwiki.com/Combat_rating_system