View Full Version : On the subject of macros

Jarelan
15-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Ever since the new macros came out I've had a question and not bothereed to ask it.

I used to use macros for things like WW, Overpower, intercept etc that relied on 1 button being pressed to change stance, and them pressed again to action the new skill.

I found i can write a basic macro along the lines of

/cast battle stance
/cast overpower (rank #)

And they work fine, the problem is the keys are highlighted all the time and it is confusing as to whether or not they're really usable. Wasting rage while swapping only to find out they aren't usable is annoying.

Is there a proper macro I can write that only lets them light up when usable?

Ta

Flawless
15-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I think it would have to be more complex, something along the lines of if overpower is castable then <change stance> then cast overpower.... no idea how that works tho :P

Jarelan
15-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Yup that's what I thought, but my skills aren't good enough to write one.

Chonar
15-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Say no to Macros. Play hardcore.

Jarelan
15-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Shush dorf.

Decebalus
15-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Say no to Macros. Play hardcore.

QFT... :lol:

Chopper
15-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Ever since the new macros came out I've had a question and not bothereed to ask it.

I used to use macros for things like WW, Overpower, intercept etc that relied on 1 button being pressed to change stance, and them pressed again to action the new skill.

I found i can write a basic macro along the lines of

/cast battle stance
/cast overpower (rank #)

And they work fine, the problem is the keys are highlighted all the time and it is confusing as to whether or not they're really usable. Wasting rage while swapping only to find out they aren't usable is annoying.

Is there a proper macro I can write that only lets them light up when usable?

Ta
Macros 2.0 removed the ability to use conditional intelligence based on abilities being available, off-cooldown and whatnot. I wanted to write a "Victory Rush when capable, otherwise Mortal Strike" macro, but that cannot be done as far as I know.

About the best you can do is:

#showtooltip Overpower
/cast [stance:1] Overpower; [nostance:1] Battle Stance

...and you use the "?" icon so that #showtooltip works.

This macro will attempt to Overpower the selected target if you're in Battle Stance or change stance if you're not, and will display identical icon/tooltip feedback to Overpower.

This has one obvious limitation, in that Overpower will only light up if you're already in Battle Stance. A reactive "Overpower" alert such as those provided by SCT is useful, but those are also triggered if any secondary targets of cleave, sweep, whirlwind and possibly retaliation should happen to dodge, so Overpower on your selected target may not be available.

Jarelan
15-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm happy for it to light up only when I'm in the right stance, that's what it used to do. It wouldn't light up overpower if i was in berserker, I'd wait to see a dodge message. But right now all my macros are alight and it's annoying.

What do you mean by using the ? icon?

Karadros
15-02-2007, 04:00 PM
The macro icons you use to identify your buttons? Apparently the ? icon is somewhat of a wildcard.

Chopper
15-02-2007, 04:01 PM
What do you mean by using the ? icon?

When you're selecting the icon/name for your new/existing macro. The first (top left) of the available icons is a "?", this "icon" is used to dynamicly display an appropriate icon for your macro, and is controlled by #show, #showtooltip and/or /castsequence.

edit: Karadros put it better.

Jarelan
15-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Right oh, thanks. I'll try it when I get home. Do I need to include ranks of abilties?

Chopper
15-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Right oh, thanks. I'll try it when I get home. Do I need to include ranks of abilties?

Don't think so. If you just specify "Mortal Strike", max rank is assumed.

I found http://www.wowwiki.com/HOWTO:_Make_a_Macro very useful, btw.

Delahedril
15-02-2007, 08:38 PM
There are some good macros here (and it covers the basics so you can write your own)
http://www.worldofraids.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16057#16057

To make things easier for me I have macro'd most of my abilities to change to the preferred stance if I'm not in the right one.
The /stopmacro [nocombat] line at the start is good for these as it stops a random click when not in combat from changing stance and losing any rage you may be carrying.

Here are a few examples of the more 'complex' things you can do, these are essentially macros to let me click a few times on the same button to achieve what I want to do.

Charge or Intercept:
/stopmacro [noharm]
/cast [nocombat,stance:1]Charge;Battle Stance
/cast [combat,stance:3]Intercept;[combat]Berserker Stance

Only does some thing if targeting enemy
If not in combat puts you in Battle Stance (if not in it)
If not in combat and in Battle Stance then charges
If in combat, checks and puts you in Berserker stance if required
Intercepts

Spell Reflect:
#show Spell Reflection
/equip [noequipped:Shields] King's Bulwark
/cast [stance:1/2] Spell Reflection; [stance:3] Battle Stance

Checks to see if you have a shield equipped, if not equips it.
Checks to see if you are in Battle or Defensive stance, if not puts you in battle
Triggers Spell Reflect

(I chose it to select Battle stance because it was more likely it would only have to trigger the stance change if I was in fury and that meant I was soloing)

Pummel or Shield bash:
/cast [stance:3]Pummel;[equipped:Shields,nostance:3]Shield Bash;Berserker Stance
Checks in I'm in Berserker stance and if so pummels
If i'm not then checks if I've got a shield equipped and not in Berserker stance, if that's true then shield bashes
Otherwise changes me to Berserker stance (so 2nd click will then pummel)

These just make it easier to do what you want, you still have to choose the action that you are wanting to do and gauge your rage.

I think the way they have changed macros in >=2.0 has been great, only complaints are that the [equipped] check seems to clash with some Ace2 addons and makes the game think the addon is trying to access some secure function and that there are not enough character macro slots.