View Full Version : Important: Upgrading our Forum & Passwords

Turiel
09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, as you may know we've been working hard on doing up a new design and some new features for SSE. Part of the new features is a new & upgraded forum, which although performs the same function as the current forum (obviously, to post messages), is much more of a solid product and has more features and better message tracking.

The current forum software we use at the moment is called phpBB and it's based on the one we want to move to, a commercial package called vBulletin.

There are some difficulties in the transition from phpBB to VB, which look likely to be unable to be solved. The result of this is that we can't import passwords from the current forum to the new one. Each user will need to click on 'Lost Password' and reset it through email.

So the poll is this question - is it too much effort to go through the password reset, and should we just keep the current system, or should we go for the new features and improved forum.

And in anticipation of this, or as a general rule anyway, please go into your profile and make sure your email address is correct.

Darkreaver
09-02-2007, 04:52 PM
i have used vbb for a long time and found it perfect in all respects and also used it when i took over OTD's website etc. However alot of users didnt like it due to template issues etc beleive 50% liked it 50% hated it. (even tho i put over 10 templates in (porfessional ones)).

The Admin side is godly and tbh thats the main feature of it. all in all i would keep with phpbb to avoid the hassle.

Btw i used ipxem of something which is supplied with VBB and its converted the passwords and users perfectly.

Edit: would it be to much hassle to just find a new skin for joomla maybe add a little custom features to it. make sure there is no stupid error or faults (like the forum skin problem) and just do a fresh install of both the forum and the site.

this would save alot of issues and imo also make a nice new clean site.

Gumdrops
09-02-2007, 04:56 PM
i have used vbb for a long time and found it perfect in all respects and also used it when i took over OTD's website etc. However alot of users didnt like it due to template issues etc beleive 50% liked it 50% hated it. (even tho i put over 10 templates in (porfessional ones)).

The Admin side is godly and tbh thats the main feature of it. all in all i would keep with phpbb to avoid the hassle.

Btw i used ipxem of something which is supplied with VBB and its converted the passwords and users perfectly.

Edit: would it be to much hassle to just find a new skin for joomla maybe add a little custom features to it. make sure there is no stupid error or faults (like the forum skin problem) and just do a fresh install of both the forum and the site.

We already tried ImpEx and it doesn't support Joomla. Or rather, the modified version of phpBB to work with Joomla.

Also, Turiel has found a new skin, and added lots of custom features to it already. If you'd care to take a look at the test site.

Turiel
09-02-2007, 05:02 PM
and just do a fresh install of both the forum and the site.

We'd lose all the forum posts and members then, which is the main content of the site.

Lednar
09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
No chance to move the posts?

Gumdrops
09-02-2007, 05:37 PM
No chance to move the posts?

That's the point of the thread. If we upgrade to vBulletin we can import all posts/threads and members, but we can't import members passwords and you'll have to reset them yourself.

So would you want to keep phpBB or spend 30 seconds resetting a password so the forums can be improved?

Lednar
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
/care to the password. Aslong the posts stays the same. But what other disadvantages is there? Or advantages :P

Ysabella
09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
It has new stats?

Gumdrops
09-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Basically vB is better than phpBB.

It doesn't change much for the average poster, although it looks a lot better and you get more options. Also, reputation.

AdminCP is so much more powerful and it'll help this place to be ran better.

Karadros
09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
VB roxxorz.

Turiel
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Among the end-user benefits are:
Super searching.
For every thread, you'll see "related threads" at the bottom.
Lots more private messaging options.
Faster board.
More secure.

There's more, but thats just off the top of my head.

If you want to try it out you can go to the test site, http://test.shadowsongeurope.com - you'll need to click on 'Lost Password' or register a new account to login.

Kenny
09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Looking forwards to this! :)

Dfox
09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Looks plain awsome, Cant wait!

Darkreaver
10-02-2007, 12:28 AM
btw vbb bridge for joomla owns... never had problems with it.

Darkreaver
10-02-2007, 12:31 AM

We already tried ImpEx and it doesn't support Joomla. Or rather, the modified version of phpBB to work with Joomla.

Also, Turiel has found a new skin, and added lots of custom features to it already. If you'd care to take a look at the test site.

the main issue with otd when i changed from phpbb to vbb was the fact there username and details were no longer at the side and was at the top of the post. im not saying i wouldnt like vbb i was trying to be construtive.

btw i voted for yes when i posted my first msg. (but with a heavily modded forum you can porb see that and the pms etc) :)

Alverion
10-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I quite like vbb and support its use. ; )

Gumdrops
10-02-2007, 12:43 AM
the main issue with otd when i changed from phpbb to vbb was the fact there username and details were no longer at the side and was at the top of the post. im not saying i wouldnt like vbb i was trying to be construtive.

There's an option to change it back in vB. So it will be no different.

Psonica
10-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Glanced at PhpBB 3.0? Takes a while to get used to (especiually when you're not that active as an admin like me) ...it's nifty.

Well, anyways ... Phpbb or Vbb for SSE is a "don't care as long as it works" issue for me :)

Turiel
12-02-2007, 10:25 AM
vBB it is so. Remember to set the correct email address in your profile or you won't be able to reset your password.

Nivellen
12-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I like the new version, it's refreshing. Either way the most important thing for me is that the site and forums load fast.

Jarelan
12-02-2007, 11:51 AM
hehe I was the 69th person to vote yes *giggle*