View Full Version : Need Your Help - Pick A Design

Turiel
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm in the process of putting together a new design for the site, and there's two 'themes' I really like and need help deciding between.

The text size is adjustable on both designs, and Versatilty allows you to select the site width. These were the most complained about things with the current design!

Vortex: http://test.shadowsongeurope.com
Versatility: Same URL, select Versatility from the template chooser menu on the left.

Neither are finished.

Bugs I know about

Versatility
Latest Raidkills takes up too much space.
Tab bar needs to extend across the right side of the main page too.
Typo in the logo text.
Logo colour is slightly off.
The forum alignment is wrong when you select max screensize.

Vortex
Text in the right boxes aren't aligned properly.
The logo sucks.

Shadowfury
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Vortex

i like the style

Joenino
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Vortex

i like the style

Faylin
02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
The layout of Vortex seems to be more user-friendly, although the cold colours (blue/silver) aren't exactly the colours I associate with WoW.

So err, yeh I choose Vortex, hoping it could get a bit "warmer".

Awesome work ;)

edit: on second sight I like Vortex quite a bit, but imo it needs:
- less rounded edges on bars and less glow effect on em
- the colourscheme of Versatility
- a nice image in the topbar

Über
02-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Hmm, tough one, both choices are quite sweet already after fixing the stuff you listed. Gotta say I'm really impressed.

I agree with Shadowfury that Vortex wins in style but imo wins Versatility in colourtheme. If I could have a option C with those two combined I'd say there would be very little improving left to do then. 8)

(I got 0 skill in things like these myself so dunno really if I my suggestion there would require a lot, but if not, then give it a thought.)

Oh and

Vortex
The logo sucks.

qft. :wink:

Llort
02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Versatility, I don't see any real buggering bugs,

It is way easier to read and cleaner to the eye and less messy.

Vortex is too "candy" I dislike alot.

Turiel
02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I changed the logo on Vortex to one that Shadowfury did, its better but a little futuristic.

If anyone wants to have a go at it:
http://test.shadowsongeurope.com/templates/rt_vortex/images/light_slate/head_logo_blank.png

edit: fixed link

Llort
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Not Found

The requested URL /templates/rt_vortex/images/light_slate/head-logo-blank.png was not found on this server.

Duckman
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Vortex with another logo imo.
I'd like to see a logo that looks professional and still not to much.
Like a logo made by a photoshop-pro that knows when it's enough, and not like a newbe that just adds stuff and effects till' you can hardly see what it's suppose to be.
That's just my opinion :)

/Ducky the spellingrtard

Gumdrops
02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Versatility, clearly.

kelzor
02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
/nod Uber

Like the Vortex layout, but with the colouring from Versatility :D

Turiel
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Not Found

The requested URL /templates/rt_vortex/images/light_slate/head-logo-blank.png was not found on this server.

fixed, _ not -

Valoran
02-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Versatility, clearly.

Turiel
02-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Check vortex out now as dark blue.

Valoran
02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Check vortex out now as dark blue.
Too much white, especially from the text highlighting.

Also looks a mess with the three main colours split so equally. White/Black/Blue would be fine if one was just limited to highlighting, rather than both the white/blue fighting for attention.

In short, make it more like versatility ;)

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2066/sspopxl1.jpg
\o/

Turiel
02-02-2007, 12:32 PM
The white boxes on the right are meant to be grey like the left ones.

Fillion
02-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Why not both and let people choose?

Turiel
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Because of the module positions they won't really work perfectly together... but maybe.

Fillion
02-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Ah right. Fair enough.

Abberare
02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Versatility wins, Vortex sucks :P

Dfox
02-02-2007, 12:53 PM
As it looks atm I would go for Vortex.
Also awsome job.

Ysabella
02-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Like the Vortex layout, but with the colouring from Versatility :D

I might change my mind if you decide to go on with both options and fix the bugs. The main problem with versatility is that the raidinfo-thingie takes up half the screen and I have to scroll down to get to the shoutbox. But.. I think I like Vortex the most anyways :roll:

Awesome work!

Turiel
02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh, on Dark Blue Vortex, the text for the main page stories isn't meant to be white. It's just set like that because the current theme is white.

Fingolfin
02-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Versatility is easiest on the eyes. Nice job :)

Karadros
02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
The one with the wider forums!

Mithadriel
02-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Versatility hands down.

Cleaner, easier to read, and you can choose your forum width! All round awesome.

Also, the new blue on Vortex is hideous :(

Orde
02-02-2007, 07:55 PM

What he said i guess

Gyundor
02-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Versatility, I don't see any real buggering bugs,

It is way easier to read and cleaner to the eye and less messy.

Vortex is too "candy" I dislike alot.

Gumdrops
03-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Doesn't work in Opera:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7453/sseil6.jpg

Orde
03-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Fuck off you stupid dorf

Kenny
03-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Yeah.. you.. you mean person!

AnteroVipune
03-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Versatility

Gumdrops
03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Fuck off you stupid dorf

:lol:

Tool.

Aggromedon
03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Versatility. Looks awesome imo.

Lednar
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Versatility, clearly.
/agree

Llort
03-02-2007, 01:39 PM
still voting versatility :)

Lednar
03-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Why not make a poll? =/

Turiel
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I want actual feedback instead of just people selecting one out of two :)

Nensec
03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Im going for the Eurpope version

Orde
03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Versatility is like the collective thought patterns of all the members of SSeurope in a cup of soup mixing the idea of realism with abstract with a urban feel of mircosoft :) <--- feedback kk go with Versatility.

Memphosos
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Elexin
04-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Vortex is ugly.
The colouring odd, the spacing is odder, it just ends up looking sort of clunky and over the top.

Versatility is neater, the spacing is far better.
Maybe the headers could do with being a font size bigger but that doesn't really matter and overall it looks fine. I disliked the orange at first, I'm not actually sure I like it now, but its grown on me I guess. On the main page anyway.
On the forum itself it messes with my eyes after a short while.

So... Versatility.
With one large, glaring exception: The chatbox.
It reminds me of lined paper, looks odd, and is frankly awful.
It also lacks any sort of scroll ability :(

Goonerr
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
versatility is better than vortex, looks less tacky but the banner of versatility sucks big time, change it, the colour doesnt even match...

+The chatbox is harder to read in versatility, prefer the old looking chatbox. i know its the same one, but just looks different

or even better, why not use the template of a theme but design all the graphics/colours/ and change the layout to your own liking.

Turiel
05-02-2007, 11:03 AM
So, we're going with Versatility. Thanks for all your input.

Elexin
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Did you fix the chatbox? :P

Turiel
05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Look at it and tell me :P

Ysabella
05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
A bug: some of the text are on a white background, some are on grey. Grey looks best.

Suggestion: Can you move the chatbox closer to the top? It's nice seeing if people are.. shouting.. without having to scroll too much down.. I'm lazy. Maybe make the grey Site login-box start directly under the banner and redesign Guild rankings and Latest post to make space for it?

In all: Very promising :D

Elexin
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Personally I prefer the chatbox where it is. It would displace the layout somewhat if moved higher, and the current raid/arena/kill section is very good imo.
That said, with my window it does actually fit within my main window anyhow, I have no need to scroll for it.

Bugs I know about

Versatility
Latest Raidkills takes up too much space.
Tab bar needs to extend across the right side of the main page too.
Typo in the logo text.
Logo colour is slightly off.
The forum alignment is wrong when you select max screensize.

Vortex
Text in the right boxes aren't aligned properly.
The logo sucks.

New one for you.

Guild --> Add a Guild
Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'
Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt' Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'Could not open error log '/home/shadowso/test.shadowsongeurope.com/./administrator/components/com_dbquery/dbq_errors.txt'
That all displays above the section where you can actually add guilds.

The "Latest Posts" header looks far too far left and out of place when compared to the actual 'latest posts' section.

As for the stuff along the top... the ordering seems odd.
Its not sorted alphabetically (which is good, that would suck), yet also doesn't seem ordered with use in mind. Doesn't really matter though, must a personal observation.

One other thing:
The links section... Just looking at the guild links some of it is severely out of date, I'd imagine some of the other stuff is too.
There are also noteable sites missing.
Can I personally get an option to fiddle around with those somehow? :P

Link menu system is a bit annoying also as it reloads with every click. Any way it could sort of shrink/expand depending on which one you clicked on?

Goonerr
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
nice work you done turial, looks much better than it, did, but weres the HORDE LOVE, you have a friggin bold human on the banner :P
Anyway, apart from the *No horde love* its looks great :)

Vegelus
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
nice work you done turial, looks much better than it, did, but weres the HORDE LOVE, you have a friggin bold human on the banner :P
Anyway, apart from the *No horde love* its looks great :)
Noob, it's Herd, in CoT: Old Hillsbrad...

Elexin
05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Humans don't have ears and eyebrows like that...

Goonerr
10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Humans don't have ears and eyebrows like that...

ill post my real life picture then you will change your mind :)