View Full Version : Shaman lvling spec

Fingolfin
27-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Like much of the rest of the alliance players I've rolled an alt shaman. Got any tips on what talents to take on the long grind to 70?

Vegelus
27-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Ask Khystli :P

Kinshara
27-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I'd advise going down the enhancement tree, going for 2handers, then flurry. Dual wield is optional, but it does tend to lessen the impact of misses/dodges/parries from mobs, so I'd take it.

Enhancement probably isn't as fast at killing a single mob as elemental, but elemental has lots more downtime until you get good gear -- mid 50s or higher.

(My draenai is actually a warrior rather than a shammy, but I do have a tauren shammy I used to play. Much has changed, but enhancement still seems to be the best bet for levelling.)

syranndyr
28-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd advise going down the enhancement tree, going for 2handers, then flurry. Dual wield is optional, but it does tend to lessen the impact of misses/dodges/parries from mobs, so I'd take it.

Enhancement probably isn't as fast at killing a single mob as elemental, but elemental has lots more downtime until you get good gear -- mid 50s or higher.

(My draenai is actually a warrior rather than a shammy, but I do have a tauren shammy I used to play. Much has changed, but enhancement still seems to be the best bet for levelling.)

Basically just focus on enhancement (atleast until you'll probably start stacking some resto for nature's guidance and the totem talents are decent if you're grouping and using them alot) the xp/hour with 2h's is really quite crappy but DW xp/hour really makes up for it if you get good gear and keep it upto date, though it doesn't really keep improving. Totem's are generally not all that worth the mana cost from what you actually get out of them, unless you're grouped or fighting elite / hard mobs etc.

Legendfierce
28-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I've always been elemental while lvling no prob's yet !

Fingolfin
28-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Cheers :)

Is there any particular enhancement spec i should aim for or just basically get the few things like dw, flurry and the rest doesn't matter so much? Same question for Elemental lvling spec.

Orde
28-01-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=hE0zE0GoVoZx0cZE

Harr
29-01-2007, 02:40 PM
What kind of retarded spec is that Orde?... Improved Healing Wave... what a waste of 5 points (when not "fully" resto). Unrelenting Storms would be lightyears better for elemental, for example.

Harr
29-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Cheers :)

Is there any particular enhancement spec i should aim for or just basically get the few things like dw, flurry and the rest doesn't matter so much? Same question for Elemental lvling spec.

Go for Shamanistic Rage ofcourse, when you get decent AP (over 1k) you'll practically have no downtime. (Or get it over 1k with trinkets and str totem). Fast weapons recommended, doesn't seem like proc per minute to me but all (succesful) melee hits has a chance to proc it.

Go for elemental with the extra points if you want to max out your dps with shocks or resto for little bit survibility (and +3 chance to hit from resto helps alot too, it doesn't diminish with level gains like gear bonus does).

In my (short) experience dual wield is much much better than big hefty two hander. Can keep flurry up basically all the time with +20% crit rate and 10% AP bonus. Sure two hander gives big numbers when windfury procs but its very random when get it and can go through two mobs before it procs. Dual wield is more constant (high) dps. Need decent gear ofcourse first like all melee do.

edit: 666 posts, muahahaaha

syranndyr
30-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Go for Shamanistic Rage ofcourse, when you get decent AP (over 1k) you'll practically have no downtime. (Or get it over 1k with trinkets and str totem). Fast weapons recommended, doesn't seem like proc per minute to me but all (succesful) melee hits has a chance to proc it.

I haven't tested it and while I know some other people did test it and claimed it was about a 35% proc chance my experience of levelling leads me to think otherwise. I seemed (no extensive parsing) to get around the same amount of proc's between using a flurry axe (1.5 speed) and an Axe of the deep woods (2.7 speed) - in total. It also makes more sense to be ppm since other talent's generally show their % affect on them if they have a static value, also makes it more viable from a 2h perspective. I can probably get Kabhanda to come with me to test it soon.

- It may simply have been a conflict between using two equal weapon speeds at the same time.

Legendfierce, You kind of have the gearing to make elemental awesome :P

XeD
30-01-2007, 10:46 AM
i did 0 - 60 in enhance.. went ok

did 60-70 in elemental and went perfect :) but elemental is more dependant on gear imho

Zamruel
30-01-2007, 12:22 PM
burp

syranndyr
31-01-2007, 03:57 AM
i did 0 - 60 in enhance.. went ok

did 60-70 in elemental and went perfect :) but elemental is more dependant on gear imho

I wouldn't say it's "more" gear dependant, at the lower level's its the certainly the case theres next to no itemisation for it, the leather at those level's is fairly bad for a shaman but atleast you can pickup semi-decent weapons.

By nature I prefer to grind over questing particularly when playing a rediculous amount of time. I found the sheer grinding to be worse for the shaman than I ever did with my warrior / priest / rogue until sort of 38+ where talents really start to pick you up and assuming you get your character respectable gear for the level the 40-48 period can be quite awesome in terms of speed. Comparatively, I always felt my rogue was strong throughout levelling it (though I was fucking abysmal at levelling it with anywhere near the efficiency I used on my other char's) while priest's are essentially plain bad till 40 when shadowform makes a huge difference and similarly I used a 2h with my warrior till about 40 where the Fury tree start's to pickup. I don't think ANY of the classes I've levelled up have actually improved as much as a shaman does in the 40-50 range.

Being in the 1-60 then 60-70 crowd is alot different to being in the 1-70 crowd at the 58-70 point. Going into outland at 58 with what is likely to be completely crap gear compared to that which those who were at 60 started with (plus a two level advantage) is quite significant, particularly so when you're trying to speed level.

Having an "optimal" build throughout would require multiple respec's in order to maximise what you have available, I basically just filled through for a sort of optimal raid enhance shaman spec.

Seriously though, I know "off-specs" are now very real and viable spec's as is intended, but enhance shaman are a little too viable the nerf bat's gonna get a good swing soon very competitive DPS + awesome group support is just a little strong ;)