View Full Version : Explain plx charge + taunt

Ailith
23-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I was playing my 60 mage yesterday and visited my first TBC instance (wasted too much time with my draenei -_-). The 'Warrior' in the group always started off every pull with Charge + Taunt. And even used taunt randomly during the instance when he already had aggro.

Now, I know my warr is 58 (still) and I'm hardly massively experienced with tanking yet. But charge + taunt seems like a complete waste to me.... and taunting when you already have aggro...

I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing, or is this pointless and a waste of a taunt? I was close to moaning about it, but I didn't, in-case it was just something I didn't know about...

Faylin
23-01-2007, 01:41 PM
You are right and he is a nub.

Taunt is one of the most useful tools a Main Tank Warrior can use, and makes group combat a much more controlled environment. Taunt will set the Warrior's threat level to equal the highest person on the target's hate list, as well as forcing the target to attack the Warrior for 3 seconds. However, it is important to note that to pull aggro from someone, it takes 110% of that person's threat level, so unless the Warrior causes some additional threat in the 3 seconds provided (using skills such as Sunder Armor, Revenge, Heroic Strike or simply lots of damage) the taunted enemy will resume attacking it's original target when the time is up.

Despite the very short cooldown, the temptation to spam Taunt should be resisted - it has no effect on enemies already fightng the Warrior, and does not generate Rage. It does not generate threat either if the Warrior is already the highest person on the target's hate list.

It is useless while soloing, and has no effect at all on enemy players in PVP.

Joenino
23-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm only using taunt when i lost aggro or i need to fetch some mob from a healer.

Kinshara
23-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm only using taunt when i lost aggro or i need to fetch some mob from a healer.

Well, yeah... that is what it's intended for :)

Chopper
23-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Taunt can also be used to make Goldshire Chickens flee.

This is more useful than Taunting something that is already attacking you.

Über
23-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Against common beliefs, taunting does work sometimes in pvp, atleast when doing /taunt & /chicken. :P

Jarelan
23-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I occasionally hit it by mistake whilst tanking :)

It comes as a muscle memory of tanking in Everquest where taunt only worked 66% of the time or so, so more often than not you had to spam it to make sure it worked asap.

But yes as others have said, when you have the mob on you there's no point spamming it.

Stim
23-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe warrior was afraid of them after-charge instant aggro stealing rogues, you know... You ever heard of them? NO?
Well... OK! Nab issue.

Kinshara
23-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe warrior was afraid of them after-charge instant aggro stealing rogues, you know... You ever heard of them? NO?
Well... OK! Nab issue.

Or mages with ap-pom-pyro macros... :evil:

But that'd be the fault of the dpser, not the tank. Spamming taunt randomly when fighting just means it might not be there when you need it.

Sloth
23-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Against common beliefs, taunting does work sometimes in pvp, atleast when doing /taunt & /chicken. :P

challenging shout > hunters :)