View Full Version : Leveling?

Eisenheim
23-01-2007, 08:51 AM
So i dinged 64 yesterday, have been using affliction while leveling, but i find it a tad "boring", so i tried speccing back to destro and play abit with Incinerate, given it was fun getting 2794 crits with it, its terrible mana inefficient (already knew that, lvled to lvl 60 with Destro, but after affliction its kinda hard to get used to actually have manabreaks :))

So im going to spec out of destro till im 70, but ive been wondering how Demo fares in leveling, is it good / decent / banana / sux?

If i spec demo i at least get to wacth my sweet sweet fireball crawling over the ground from time to time..

Or should i just go back to affliction and try and tag even more mobs to get a challenge while leveling..

Psonica
23-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, Affliction is boring/easy/non-challengeing when leveling and to maximise efficency you need to fight 3+ mobs at the same time more or less.

I specced Demo in beta (before Fel Guard nerf) and it was so excellent then having a pocket-tank that actually could tank and hold aggro (and the Charge ability saved my ass more than once) but 2-3 days before the Fel Guard nerf I specced back to Affliction. Demospec is nice (esp. for pvp) and should still be working good for leveling ... but it's different and needs to be adjusted to in playstyle. Try it ... you might come to terms better with it than I did.

ginar
23-01-2007, 10:02 AM
i lvled whit a full destro spec whit imp corr and lifetap in affi and it went easy and fun and im lvl 70 now flying around ^^ great fun

Eisenheim
23-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah saw you in Shatrah yesterday, grats on the mount :)

ginar
23-01-2007, 10:20 AM
thx and about the mana breaks in destro dont really have one as if im low i just lifetap and then use a Bandage and then i can keep up grinding :) until both my hp and mana is low but thats first after about 50 mobs or so

Onkelswe
23-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Bandage? I just lifetap, send felguard to attack and start life draining. :)
I really love demo. You don't get the sweet crits like destro but you make nice overall damage and with the felguard holding aggro nothing in your way stays alive for long.

Aram
24-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I find this for soloing with destro build very useful . Imagine 240 health back when killed a mob or 360 when its critting. While using Fel Armor that is.

Essence Infused Mushroom

Psonica
24-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Can the 1up mushroom crit?

fantasy
24-01-2007, 07:24 PM
i lvled with a demo spec, mostly dotting 2-4 mobs and after it drain life. had like 0 downtimes and i went kinda fast to 70 (nerf work tho)

Chimera
24-01-2007, 07:27 PM
7/7/47.

Imp Life tap + Insta corr
DE + 2/3 Imp. Imp (personal preference, imp HS possibly)
All the good stuff in Destro.

Great for mindless shadowbolt spam with backlash and the imp doing slightly more damage.

Keep in mind this was using full DC.

dantheman
24-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Aye, i'm pretty much the same just with 2 points in suppression instead of demonic talents, so 9/5/47

Celinde
25-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I leveled as destro, started out with a 7/0/44. I then went for Soul Leech, DE and Improved Healthstone.

I either used imp or voidwalker, depending on what mobs I poked at the moment. Sacrifice saved me more than once when I doted like 4-5 mobs to get constant backlash procs, although imp is usually the better choice.

I guess you could level pretty efficient with a Demonology spec since you hit for about ~1600+ with shadow bolts, although the felguard need at least one taunt per shadow bolt to keep aggro.

I'm not quite sure how affliction works out, I find it terribly boring and with the dot nerf I rather use any other spec.

In the end, it doesn't matter what spec you use really, what matters is how much time you spend at the computer and how you chose to use that time.

Psonica
25-01-2007, 08:41 AM
although imp is usually the better choice

...it still is the most useful of our pets in a general environment ... Fel Guard is very nice but is 41 talent points to get.

Voidwalker is nice but requires you to go slow on DPS else it loses aggro quick.

Succubus is nice for PvP and certain (few) encounters ... not enough DPS to motivate it though except the looks.

Felhunter is also nice in PvP and certain encounters but mostly just not.

Infernal/Doomguard aren't stable enough to be usable :(

Celinde
25-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Indeed, voidwalker needs a serious buff in keeping aggro, because right now it got few uses except sacrificing for a shield (or health regen if you're DS speced) or to tag and tank a mob while you're poking something else.

Felguard is neat but I never tried it before level 70 since I lacked talents to get stuff I don't want to miss (Improved Corruption, Bane and Shadowburn).

Eisenheim
25-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Decided to go back to Affliction, just have to endure the boring part, but the efficiency is wickedly sick, especially with my partner in crime, a healing shaman..

Can go on forever and ever.. And i took 2 points in Imp Drainsoul, its nice to get 840 mana at each kill, but i need to find some use for my excessive shards :) (wish they wernt soulbound, so i could send them to a shardbank, could be neat) Destroyed about 50 shards after some light questing yesterday..

SilverX
25-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I did some brief Drain Tanking on the Lock and the Voidy kept aggro pretty well and it seemed to be pretty fast. It gets boring though... I like burning things :D

Ellenn
25-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I levelled to 54 ish as affliction then went DM/Ruin to 60, messed about with SM/Ruin and Destructo builds but DM/Ruin proved the most fun for my play style.

With the patch I went straight for Felguard and pre patch it was awesome, now ordinary :(

In TBC i found it ok on normal mobs but couldnt take on higher elite mobs, tried Destructo and that was hard work.

Settled on Affliction, actually spent all points in there to see what each talent would give and Im pretty much going to stay that way till something better comes up.

In 5-mans affliction is great, very low threat from the build up dots, dark pact is great for mana as is life tap and those big ass collossus elementals are soloable using fear and amplify/CoD(not had a doomguard after about 50 kills, have they left it out now ?).
10 and 25 mans are so far in the future im not even thinking about them.

As for excess shards, I use Necrosis LDC and it has an option to destroy shards if the bag is full so not a problem.

Eisenheim
25-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Can anyone confirm that Shadow Embrace counts as an affliction spell towards Soul Siphon?

I read somewhere that it did, but didnt see any proof..

Think ill put a single point there for som ekstra drainage if it does

Edos
25-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Yup, it does

also if you do go destro soulleech is very nice, those massive crits mean massive heals :P

Myriima
27-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Switched to a Demo build when I could train the first rank of incinerate. 46 points in Demo, rest into affliction, up to Fel concentration.

Incinerate is at a 2.5 sec cast time, so no real need to put in points into Destruction, just replaced my SB. Very efficient, all I needed from time to time was a bandage for me and my felguard and that was it. I found him to be good at keeping aggro, usually starting with Corruption, CoA and finally Immo on a mob and by that time I could lifedrain and it was dead allready.

Managing to down unfearable elite quest mobs was nothing to sneeze on, just send Felguard in and heal him, place Cor and CoA, maybe Immo if you feel cheeky because you will get aggro sooner or later that way.

Maybe you kill slower that way, but you just can keep going on without the need to stop and drink / eat. Affliction is of course awesome, but the lack of a good pet to tank elites when needed and the DPS output that is more suited for slow fights make it less attractive for instances, which are also a great source of exp.

Once I finish the remaining quests, I am off to Destro, because instance grind is next and there it truly shines (PVP too of course, but that´s not the topic)

Aram
29-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Can the 1up mushroom crit?

You bet it can :)

And when I am soloing I am using my Voidwalker. He cepts aggro long enough , when the mobs aggros me I normally burned him down then.

my build 7/7/47